Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you plead guilty or nor guilty (Read 3882 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Do you plead guilty or nor guilty
Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:49pm

Guilty as charged you Honour. Guilty of bibliophilic misogyny.

I have of course read all of Jane Austen, some of the Brontes, Kylie Tennant, Miles Franklin, Nancy Mitford, some Virginia Woolf, others I can't think of, but when it comes to modern writers, apart from Joanna Trollope, Sarah Dunant, maybe some others, I have looked and said: "women's books".

It's the generation I come from I suppose. The assumption would be: these will be trivial or lightweight.

It's only in the last ten years maybe that that mindset has left me and I've come to see the real depth of expression in women writers.
I won't catch up now, too late. I don't do enough reading now.

But I hope I can be a cautionary tale. What is it mothra says: if you can't be something something be something something else.
Don't disregard books written by women.

PS I forgot I have read some great history by women authors - Lady Antonia Fraser for one.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Do you plead guilty or nor guilty
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:00pm

My sister in law put me onto Catherine Cookson's books which are very authentically set in the 19th century. Brilliant writer.

Daphne du Maurier, of course. 

Enid Blyton ~ reading her books during my childhood illnesses when confined to bed was a great palliative and a wonderful adventure as I followed the exploits of the Famous Five.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:14pm

Here's another cautionary tale.
Get the DVD of "Enid", her life story, and see if you still look back with fondness.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2017 at 4:13am

I think I have only one author who is female in my book collection.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print