Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: Hot
Reply #60 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:24pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:33am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Mother Earth is like a human being. Just like us...she's part n parcel of Nature.

When we get sick....VERY sick...what happens to our body temperature? 

We get very hot AND very cold AND we tremble AND shake. This happens uncontrollably.

THAT'S EXACTLY what's happening to our Mother (Earth). She's sick. She's telling us she's sick. She's been telling us she's sick for some time.

Only a true bastard would ignore their Mother's sick condition

Don't be that bastard.

Absolute new age nonsense
The earth is a planet that happens to have living organisms on it
It's getting hotter because the ratio of gasses in the atmosphere is being changed

Lisa's idea is much more expressive.

Much preferred

Thank you.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #61 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:04am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:18pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 10:33am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Jan 2nd, 2018 at 5:29pm:
Mother Earth is like a human being. Just like us...she's part n parcel of Nature.

When we get sick....VERY sick...what happens to our body temperature? 

We get very hot AND very cold AND we tremble AND shake. This happens uncontrollably.

THAT'S EXACTLY what's happening to our Mother (Earth). She's sick. She's telling us she's sick. She's been telling us she's sick for some time.

Only a true bastard would ignore their Mother's sick condition

Don't be that bastard.

Absolute new age nonsense
The earth is a planet that happens to have living organisms on it
It's getting hotter because the ratio of gasses in the atmosphere is being changed

Lisa s idea is much more expressive.
Much preferred

It may be "expressive" or "preferred" but that doesn't make it right
That is nothing more than an argumentum ad passiones
An appeal to emotion fallacy

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #62 - Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:13am

There have been many more periods of climate change before in the planet's history. I was reading about one such this morning that likely destroyed the Indus valley civilisation millennia ago.

The good news is we are infinitely better placed to manage such crises now than in earlier periods.

That is, as long as the culture warriors don't manage to deprive us of a mix of energy sources.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #63 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:10pm

It really surprises me how a place like Sydney can get to 47 degrees, when Rockhampton does not crack 40 degrees very often. I think it is expected that Rockhampton can get over 40 degrees in summer EVERY year. However, we don't see the temperature often exceeding 42 degrees very often. In 1990, we saw 45 degrees. I saw a number of 43 degrees, and a 44 degree day in the last 25 years. But we have not passed 45 degree since 1990.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #64 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:10pm:
It really surprises me how a place like Sydney can get to 47 degrees, when Rockhampton does not crack 40 degrees very often. I think it is expected that Rockhampton can get over 40 degrees in summer EVERY year. However, we don't see the temperature often exceeding 42 degrees very often. In 1990, we saw 45 degrees. I saw a number of 43 degrees, and a 44 degree day in the last 25 years. But we have not passed 45 degree since 1990.

Pretty rare here but you get consistantly muggy temps for what 5 months, we get that for 3 with the occasional scorcher thrown in.

Apparently sydney was the hottest place on earth yesterday.

IBI

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:21pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:13am:
There have been many more periods of climate change before in the planet's history. I was reading about one such this morning that likely destroyed the Indus valley civilisation millennia ago.

The good news is we are infinitely better placed to manage such crises now than in earlier periods.

That is, as long as the culture warriors don't manage to deprive us of a mix of energy sources.

The so-called *conservatives* in the USA have positioned themselves to lose on the issue of climate change in the long-run.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #66 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 1:12am

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 7th, 2018 at 11:13am:

Not just the Indus River folk, look at what happened at the end of the bronze age around the mediterranean, which was within a hundred or so years of the Indus civilisation collapsing. Not something I would look forward to, every civilisation collapsing at around the same time, well... within a couple of generations.

From Ugarit in the Levanvt
Quote:
The last Bronze Age king of Ugarit, Ammurapi (circa 1215 to 1180 BC), was a contemporary of the Hittite king Suppiluliuma II. The exact dates of his reign are unknown. However, a letter[4] by the king is preserved, in which Ammurapi stresses the seriousness of the crisis faced by many Near Eastern states from invasion by the advancing Sea Peoples. Ammurapi pleads for assistance from the king of Alashiya, highlighting the desperate situation Ugarit faced:

My father, behold, the enemy's ships came (here); my cities(?) were burned, and they did evil things in my country. Does not my father know that all my troops and chariots(?) are in the Land of Hatti, and all my ships are in the Land of Lukka? ... Thus, the country is abandoned to itself. May my father know it: the seven ships of the enemy that came here inflicted much damage upon us.[5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugarit

Hattusa(Hittites)
Quote:
Another serious problem confronted the last kings of Hatti. There may well have been widespread famine in the Hittite kingdom during its final decades. The Egyptian pharaoh Merneptah (1213–1203 B.C.) refers to grain shipments sent to the Hittite king “to keep alive the land of Hatti.”
https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/ancient-cultures/ancient-near-eastern-...

Then there were the Mycenaean Greeks and Egyptians, the Mycenaeans went down too, the Egyptians only barely manged to hang in there and were never what they were before again. I'd guess the Nile saved them but they also had their woes.
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2018 at 1:27am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 1:22am

Ogallala Aquifer in the United States is being depleted rapidly. Add that to the other water woes of the western American States, even a *conservative* would have to see the "civilization" there isn't sustainable.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #68 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:21am

Gordon wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm:

Pretty rare here but you get consistantly muggy temps for what 5 months, we get that for 3 with the occasional scorcher thrown in.

Sydney is pretty much a basin ( or a cauldron in the last few days I guess). I lived there once.

But the best news I've heard out of all that (on ABC) was that thousands of fruit bats were falling dead out of the trees. Halleluja brother!

But there are some crazy folks out there. Volunteers were out in force trying to revive the toxic, polluting critters. Hope they got heat exhaustion.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 10:32am

Fruit bats carry rabies.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #70 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 9:58pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm:

I would have put up with a 48 degree day, just to get that record -- the selfish type I can be wishing to endure record heat, just to get the record hottest place in the world. I live slightly in from the coast, in a bowl of mountain ranges. Perhaps we are shielded from really hot weather. But then, any place west of here passed the mountain ranges would show hot weather details. I find it unusual that we have a large area of arid and semi-arid places that are unimpeded by mountain ranges and anything that could block the heat from reaching Rockhampton. So, for us to go 27 years without breaking our highest temperature of 45 degrees celsius, it makes me wonder how we don't beat Sydney at highest temperatures. I can understand that Sydney can get westerlies blowing in from the desert. But, all that should be tempered by the onshore winds cooling the place down.

I think Rockhampton gets about 5 to 6 months of hot to very hot weather. The hottest days are usually in tandem with low humidity. I have yet to see a humid day get over 40 degrees. The start of October to the end of March is usually the hottest part of the year for us. From March to May, it is usually a mild Autumn. From August to September is a mild spring. June and July can either be cool or it can get bitterly cold, depending on the year.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #71 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:03pm

Sheeeeeit. Still 32 outside

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #72 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:27pm

I hate to admit it.
But Lisa 'Lube Job' Jones is kinda right.

The 'biorhythms' of the planet are very erratic.
Not much different to a person in Hospital from being very sick.
Throw in Pollution and underground Nukes pulverising the crust.
It's much like a junkie who takes a good number of punches.

Maybe people don't like the Planet being 'humanised'.
Because they know its not a pretty sight to look into such a mirror.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #73 - Mar 18th, 2018 at 9:28pm

AiA wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 1:50am:
I will be attending Midnight Christmas Mass at St.Louis Cathedral in the French Quarter of New Orleans (I am not Catholic or religious at all) after a Reveillon Dinner at a restaurant nearby.

Any connection with the Revillon Freres fur business?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print