Send Topic Print
Weather 2017/18/19- (Read 75048 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Weather 2017/18
Reply #75 - May 18th, 2018 at 12:36am

My neighbours only just yesterday mowed their 50cm high grass. It is like a drug dealer house over there. I wish they would move out and some respectable neighbours moved in.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #76 - May 18th, 2018 at 11:10am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 12:36am:
My neighbours only just yesterday mowed their 50cm high grass. It is like a drug dealer house over there. I wish they would move out and some respectable neighbours moved in.

Then you would be bored US- its the tacky ones who keep life interesting-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #77 - May 18th, 2018 at 2:55pm

Let us have a swap. You can have my tacky dealer neighbours. I will have your boring neighbours.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #78 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:18pm

My neighbours have probably thought that about me at times. I have an overgrown semi tropical garden and sometimes didn't even bother worrying about the grass because the petrol lawnmower was too hard to start. I bought a hand mower and that got blunt very quickly so I bought a small electric mower which is so easy to use. I astonished myself the other week and actually mowed my lawn before my fastidious neighbours had a chance to do theirs.

I don't know why people even worry about their neighbours' yards. There are lots of good reasons why people don't always keep their lawn neatly mown.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #79 - May 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm

I cant grow actual lawn- its more like a coastal ground cover- so not a problem here- I used to grow lawn once and mowing was a pain in the butt- and half the time it would either flood or just not start-

US should get a lawn mowing job - the neighbors would pay him I'm sure

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #80 - May 19th, 2018 at 4:14am

mantra wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 5:18pm:

My neighbours have probably thought that about me at times. I have an overgrown semi tropical garden and sometimes didn't even bother worrying about the grass because the petrol lawnmower was too hard to start. I bought a hand mower and that got blunt very quickly so I bought a small electric mower which is so easy to use. I astonished myself the other week and actually mowed my lawn before my fastidious neighbours had a chance to do theirs.

I don't know why people even worry about their neighbours' yards. There are lots of good reasons why people don't always keep their lawn neatly mown.

For me, it comes down to laziness. My neighbour is so obsessive compulsive with his lawn that I don't think I have seen his lawn ever grow over 5cm long. Then again, he does have golf green lawn. I have in the past let my grass grow until it was 50cm or higher. Mainly because of the week-long rain (and because I did not mow it the week before that when it needed mowing). I know that Monday will mean that I will definitely be mowing the lawn. But it will be some time before I mow again. I will have to get the sprayer out and bindii kill the entire yard. Give it time to do its work. Then give the yard a good soaking over if it does not "month of May rain before winter" rain again. Want to see the grass all green again by September.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #81 - May 19th, 2018 at 4:22am

I think I might have mentioned this on this very forum subject. But, I have been buying citronella tea lights and leaving them lit in the toilet room. The toilet room has those old fashion louvers that don't close. So, in recent years, I have been covering the window with a towel to try and hold off the cold from coming in. Then the door gets closed as much as possible. Has kept the house a few degrees warmer during the coldest nights. I bought 120 (4 x 30) citronella tea lights to keep warm and ward off whatever mosquitos are left trying to get into the house (or the toilet water when I am not shutting the lid at night). I am lighting two candles at a time and letting them burn for 4 hours -- which is enough at the moment. Come June, I will be doing 4 per night (2x2) just as an extra way of keeping warm. Dad brought around a rectangular board to put over the window. Seems to be doing a good enough job keeping the mild cold out.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #82 - May 19th, 2018 at 4:26am

Agnes wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 8:10pm:
I cant grow actual lawn- its more like a coastal ground cover- so not a problem here- I used to grow lawn once and mowing was a pain in the butt- and half the time it would either flood or just not start-

US should get a lawn mowing job - the neighbors would pay him I'm sure

My neighbour would laugh at that suggestion. His yard is so immaculate, it is like he has a hobby of keeping it that way. I have a garden at the eastern side of my house that has grass over a metre high, that it seems crazy that I have not just gone through the gap in the barrier and mowed the area. But I figure that the saplings that seem to be growing there just need a chance to NOT get run down by errant mowing.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #83 - May 19th, 2018 at 7:29am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 4:22am:
I think I might have mentioned this on this very forum subject. But, I have been buying citronella tea lights and leaving them lit in the toilet room. The toilet room has those old fashion louvers that don't close. So, in recent years, I have been covering the window with a towel to try and hold off the cold from coming in. Then the door gets closed as much as possible. Has kept the house a few degrees warmer during the coldest nights. I bought 120 (4 x 30) citronella tea lights to keep warm and ward off whatever mosquitos are left trying to get into the house (or the toilet water when I am not shutting the lid at night). I am lighting two candles at a time and letting them burn for 4 hours -- which is enough at the moment. Come June, I will be doing 4 per night (2x2) just as an extra way of keeping warm. Dad brought around a rectangular board to put over the window. Seems to be doing a good enough job keeping the mild cold out.

You could try taping some thick plastic over the window. I have an outside loo - a relic from when the house was first built, but the window louvres fell off years ago. Even though it's rarely used - I don't want it destroyed by the weather as the woodwork inside is still good. A heavy duty plastic works well to protect it.

UnSubRocky wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 4:26am:
My neighbour would laugh at that suggestion. His yard is so immaculate, it is like he has a hobby of keeping it that way. I have a garden at the eastern side of my house that has grass over a metre high, that it seems crazy that I have not just gone through the gap in the barrier and mowed the area. But I figure that the saplings that seem to be growing there just need a chance to NOT get run down by errant mowing.

All my neighbours are like that. I try to keep the little patch of grass at the front of the house fairly neat, but the back is a different story. I have a street - back and front of my house, but I rarely bother about the back nature strip. A few native grasses have sprung up there. I pull out the ugly weeds by hand and leave the grasses to grow how they please - sometimes up to a metre high. I think they look pretty when they blow in the wind. They also attract the birds.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #84 - May 19th, 2018 at 5:04pm

I figure just nailing a towel to completely cover the louvers for the 2 months is sufficient to prevent the cold coming in.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #85 - May 19th, 2018 at 11:26pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
I figure just nailing a towel to completely cover the louvers for the 2 months is sufficient to prevent the cold coming in.

What do you call cold US- how low does it go in a QLD winter- I love it freezing- well as cold as possible-

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #86 - May 20th, 2018 at 9:04am

Agnes wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 11:26pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 5:04pm:

What do you call cold US- how low does it go in a QLD winter- I love it freezing- well as cold as possible-

It all depends where you live. In western Qld, it gets down to below 0 quite frequently. Saw footage of it snow a few years ago. But here in Rockhampton, we don't see it often get below 5 degrees. It was 2010 when I last saw the thermometer get down to negative 0-point-something. This year, we might see it get that cold (although I don't think it will get to "record breaking" as articles in newspapers remind us).

I have to rug up at 10 degrees or below. We had that weather for two nights last weekend. Now it is just warmer than normal for the nights. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are going to be nightly lows of 7, 8, and 7, before warming up by Thursday. I normally put a heater on for nights below 5 degrees. But I will probably have the heater on after work tonight.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #87 - May 20th, 2018 at 3:37pm

It can get pretty cold here sometimes (  but not for few years now) has to be extremely cold before I will use a heater- I lived in the Blue Mountains as a kid for  few years ( dad graded snow off mountain roads)  and it did get very cold there my mum ran a  combustion heater most of the time- we had ice in our taps many times- not likely to see that kind of cold again for a very long time- I am going to retire in Tassie-

Still have my fingers crossed for a cold winter here-

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #88 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:17am

Back to Autumn temperatures for the next week. Hope we get some rain on Saturday. Not just 10mm of rain. But 50mm just to give us some relief from the dry.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #89 - May 24th, 2018 at 1:25am

Temps fairly consistent pretty much- cold and sunny-.. very nice really..beautiful cool autumn....been pretty dry out here for the best part of a year now..we..need..rain.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45
Send Topic Print