Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Weather 2017/18/19-
Reply #495 - May 15th, 2019 at 10:54pm

Johnnie wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 7:20pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 2:24am:
I light candles during cold weather. The windows first get closed. Then the candles get brought out. I have two tea light candles lit in the toilet room right now. The toilet room gets coldest each year from this time of year onwards. I have to close the door to the room to prevent the cold air wafting into the kitchen. But, I have to light up a couple tea lights before I go to bed to make sure that if I get up in the middle of the night, the room is warm enough not to shock me with cold.

Do you have electricity? a candle is not going to provide warmth.

yes was wondering the same thing jeeze - tealights so small- but maybe Unsub detects variances in heat and cold very easily- and it is quiet warmish in Qld already ?

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #496 - May 15th, 2019 at 10:57pm

Jasin wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 9:36pm:
Cool night.
Cloud cover with moonlight coming through the clouds like lattice.
Ambient Chill playing from the TV channel.
Doggy warming herself by the wood fire.
Gentle fairy lights upon the verandah.
House on a hill, overlooking the canopy of bush, out into the distance of forest and hills.
Silence, but for the back ground music and the singing of a few frogs down by the stream.

Time to hop in the spa for a bit.

someone's living the high life lol but must admit sounds to die for - you should write Jasin-  you have a poetic way of looking at the world

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #497 - May 17th, 2019 at 4:17pm

Agnes wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 10:54pm:
I light candles during cold weather. The windows first get closed. Then the candles get brought out. I have two tea light candles lit in the toilet room right now. The toilet room gets coldest each year from this time of year onwards. I have to close the door to the room to prevent the cold air wafting into the kitchen. But, I have to light up a couple tea lights before I go to bed to make sure that if I get up in the middle of the night, the room is warm enough not to shock me with cold.

yes was wondering the same thing jeeze - tealights so small- but maybe Unsub detects variances in heat and cold very easily- and it is quiet warmish in Qld already ?

The toilet is a room that is 2 metres by 3 metres (at most). When I cover the window with a towel (being that the window only has those louvres that don't shut), I can trap in the heat generated by tea lights is sufficient enough to warm the room and ward off the cold outside that has built up inside.

I have lit the tea lights, that last a good 4 hours, around 8 pm. Even when I get up to go... 'facebook' for 10 minutes in the toilet, the room is nice and warm. That is even if
the tea lights have burned out. I just have to keep the door closed so that the warmth can stay as long as possible in the room.

Rockhampton has dry, cold winters. When it gets cold, you will grasp at any strategy to keep warm, when jumpers, long pants, and heaters are not enough.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #498 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:49pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 17th, 2019 at 4:17pm:
Agnes wrote on May 15th, 2019 at 10:54pm:

The toilet is a room that is 2 metres by 3 metres (at most). When I cover the window with a towel (being that the window only has those louvres that don't shut), I can trap in the heat generated by tea lights is sufficient enough to warm the room and ward off the cold outside that has built up inside.

I have lit the tea lights, that last a good 4 hours, around 8 pm. Even when I get up to go... 'facebook' for 10 minutes in the toilet, the room is nice and warm. That is even if
the tea lights have burned out. I just have to keep the door closed so that the warmth can stay as long as possible in the room.

Rockhampton has dry, cold winters. When it gets cold, you will grasp at any strategy to keep warm, when jumpers, long pants, and heaters are not enough.

One candle = 30 watts of heating so 3 candles = about a light bulb, heat dissipation and because heat rises a slight rise in temp may occur, in Queensland anything below 20° is freezing.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #499 - May 18th, 2019 at 12:17am

You would be surprised at how well a couple of tea lights can make the difference in room temperature the size of a toilet room. I just require a towel across the window to trap the heat. Close the door, and the heat is enough to be cozy. That offers a buffer for the rest of the house to keep warm.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #500 - May 18th, 2019 at 7:24pm

last night a symphony of lightening strikes- one after the other- it woke me around 4 am and cont'd for a good part of the day-  intermittant rain fell through out the day-

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #501 - May 27th, 2019 at 10:27am

Winter is coming!

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #502 - May 27th, 2019 at 6:19pm

Yep. Cold, windy and some rain, then it opened up sunny for the day. Now its cold and windy again.
I'm just a few hours from the Snowys.

Global Warming... Winter is Coming.
  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #503 - May 27th, 2019 at 6:30pm

I reviewed my facebook history. Apparently, May 23rd is the date I seem to have trouble sleeping. It is that time when the weather is no longer Autumn and more like Winter. This Wednesday coming, we are going to have 10 degree nighttime temperatures. Tomorrow night will see us having 12 degrees. I can imagine temperatures getting below 5 degrees more often this year. But it has not been all that cold this year compared to this time last year.

I did not sleep well last night. Someone over a kilometre away from where I live has got dengue fever. I put on citronella candles in the toilet room. Plugged in all the mozzie zappers. And lit some mosquito coils for downstairs. Even at this time of year, I won't take any chances.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #504 - May 27th, 2019 at 7:28pm

Jasin wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 6:19pm:
Yep. Cold, windy and some rain, then it opened up sunny for the day. Now its cold and windy again.
I'm just a few hours from the Snowys.

Global Warming... Winter is Coming.
  Grin

I got a quick swim in before the cold winds hit. The water is sill about 20 but these westerlies will cool it down, thanks to the Ekman Transport.

Saw loads of whales today!

IBI

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #505 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 10:37pm

Winter is on hiatus for the last week and a bit. Waiting for the cold to begin from June 20 to the middle of July.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #506 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 11:27pm

I had a blue Dane get up me about how we Australians think its 'so cold' with temps still above 0C degrees.
I kinda agreed with her, as I've stood before one of New Zealand's Glaciers and I couldn't face it for long, as the cold coming off it was unbearable for this Aussie.

So far, its been a very dry Autumn and now Winter.
Oh well, better a dry Winter than a dry Summer.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #507 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 3:24pm

I did pizza deliveries in my late teens. When we got deliveries over to the army barracks for the visiting American Marines, the guard on the gate would ask when it would get hot in this town. They were still coming to terms that we have opposite seasons in Australia. It was a 10-degree Celsius night, when he asked.

It has been revealed that Rockhampton has not been at or below 0 degrees Celsius since 1963. But, I was rugging up with 7 degrees last night. People from very cold regions in the winter time can be forgiven for criticising Australians for thinking that 0 degrees is cold. But, we can tell them that 35 degrees for summer days is not hot, too.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #508 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 1:31am

Rain forecast from Friday to Monday. Expected rainfall to 100mm. Likely to see 25 to 50mm of rain.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #509 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:21pm

32mm of rain in the past 3 days. Not bad. Hope the farmers got more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 45
Send Topic Print