Send Topic Print
Weather 2017/18/19- (Read 75297 times)
Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Weather 2017/18/19-
Reply #195 - Sep 15th, 2018 at 8:48am

well 6 days ago it was 14 here and so cold- icy-  wth is that- it is supposed to be 15 here today and so i have movies planned-

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #196 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:46pm

recording almost every day of last winter I now have a handy record- the warm weather is heading in and have recorded mid to high 20s for the last 2 weeks- rain has all but gone-  holding my breath for the next 4 months-

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #197 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 3:56am

I turned off the hot water system at the start of October in anticipation to hot weather returning. I had to turn the hot water system back on because of the coolness outside. Winter really has not gone, and we are over a month passed that end.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #198 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 11:19am

there is no doubt that we are having a much cooler spring- and we are into october now- mostly of the time summer starts in spring here I have said for the last couple years that I will move to Tassie or the mountains most likely the mountains- but if we have a mini cool/ice age then who knows

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #199 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm

Not much for that hot winter allegation. I still shiver at night with the fan blowing and the blanket on. Too hot to leave the fan off. Too cold to leave it on without a blanket. Need the window open, fan on, and blanket on. A week from now, I will probably do away with the blanket, and shut off the hot water system. First rain downpour will indicate the marker when to turn off the hot water.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #200 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:12pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm:
Not much for that hot winter allegation. I still shiver at night with the fan blowing and the blanket on. Too hot to leave the fan off. Too cold to leave it on without a blanket. Need the window open, fan on, and blanket on. A week from now, I will probably do away with the blanket, and shut off the hot water system. First rain downpour will indicate the marker when to turn off the hot water.

Of course - Rockhampton is in the tropics.

You will not even notice the mini ice age happening in the south.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #201 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 6:08am

Bobby. wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:12pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm:

Of course - Rockhampton is in the tropics.

You will not even notice the mini ice age happening in the south.

I would not call Rockhampton a good example of being in the tropics. Perhaps during certain years, it feels like a tropical township. But this year, we have hardly had any rain. I think I woke up yesterday to the sound of moderate rainfall. But, my windows are either open all the time or closed all the time. I figured that September the best time to open the windows. But, a month on, it still feels late Winter-ish.

We did notice the cold this year. The last two years were kind of mild. I had put a prediction that this town would get good rain by mid November. I know September is usually pretty useless for rain. But I will be surprised if drought breaking rain is here before mid November.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #202 - Oct 5th, 2018 at 7:20pm

Rockhampton is in the tropics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_North_Queensland

Tropical North Queensland

Tropical North Queensland is the northern part of Queensland, Australia, an area from about the city of Mackay north to the tip of Cape York. The tropical region of Queensland covers 54% of the state's area[1] some 934,600 square kilometres (360,900 sq mi), and includes the whole area above the latitude 23.5 degrees south, taking in an area from Rockhampton north. However, what is generally accepted as Tropical "North" Queensland includes the cities of Mackay, Townsville and Cairns and the Australian islands of the Torres Strait. It also includes several world heritage listed areas, such as the Great Barrier Reef and the Wet Tropics.

Within the tourism industry, the phrase is used to mean varying areas of the tropical region of the state, usually within Far North Queensland.

Different government departments also have varying definitions for what is meant by "Tropical North Queensland" and Tropical Australia.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #203 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 4:50am

Take a look around Rockhampton and you will find that only the eastern/northeastern side of town is tropical. In the space of 15km, you can go from a dry section of town to a rainforest part of town. The apparent annual rainfall difference seems to be 200mm between the suburbs of Frenchville and West Rockhampton. But we still only get 800mm of rainfall per year.

You need to drive north a good 200km, and perhaps more towards Mackay before it feels like the tropics. Back in 2010, we got 1600mm of rainfall for the year. That was the only time (in a long time) that it felt tropical around here.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #204 - Oct 9th, 2018 at 9:27pm

Agnes wrote on Sep 1st, 2018 at 6:01pm:
better spray peppermint oil around your bed then Unsub- lol-

Something that I found out a few weeks ago. Mice and rats don't seem to like the smell of peppermint oil. Tonight, I went to Coles to buy some peppermint oil. Then I came home and got my cotton balls (which I never seem to use up) and took them under the house. I soaked the cotton balls in peppermint oil. Then I threw the cotton balls over sections of the garage that I could not reach (because of the things my parents left around under my house, impeding the accessibility). I think I went through 20 cotton balls before I ran out of peppermint oil in one small container.

I left the washing machine running whilst I did the task. The washing takes 50 minutes to run a full cycle. Will keep you posted on how things went. Perhaps I will have a heap of spiders instead making a run for it. Then I will have to spray upstairs here to make sure I don't get an illegal migration of arachnids.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #205 - Oct 11th, 2018 at 2:53am

Yesterday, I was on this facebook page on region discussion. We were talking about the incoming thunderstorm. Gladstone got what looked like a bucketing of rainfall from a heavy storm. We only got the tail end of the storm in Rockhampton. Nothing much. But then we were notified of another storm coming in to directly impact the town. It came in and just did sweet nothin'. I think even the heaviest rainfall only produced 10mm of rain in the 20 minutes. We must have got no more than 2mm of rain.

I hope the weekend is plentiful with the rainfall.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #206 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 6:59am

\UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:02pm:

I just spent the last 2 weeks in ADELaiDE -well the 1ast week there I froze by bits off- I bet HBS guy didnt report that over at his place-  I was back to making roasts and soups again- there is no accounting for the weather atm -except sunspot activity- but I am loving it that is all I can say....
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:04am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #207 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:53pm

A wild storm was coming in last night. By 5pm, we had the west and southwest section of the sky covered with the cloud that we had some relief from the heat. Rumbling thunder and flashes of lightning for a good few hours. A few spits of rain before I got home before 8pm. Then... nothing. I looked at the rain radar and the history of the rain radar images for every half hour beforehand. The entire storm dissipated from a guaranteed heavy downpour. The storm evolved into a relocation of moderate rain north of Rockhampton (and Parkhurst). We did not even get a millimetre of rain in town.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #208 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:10pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:53pm:
A wild storm was coming in last night. By 5pm, we had the west and southwest section of the sky covered with the cloud that we had some relief from the heat. Rumbling thunder and flashes of lightning for a good few hours. A few spits of rain before I got home before 8pm. Then... nothing. I looked at the rain radar and the history of the rain radar images for every half hour beforehand. The entire storm dissipated from a guaranteed heavy downpour. The storm evolved into a relocation of moderate rain north of Rockhampton (and Parkhurst). We did not even get a millimetre of rain in town.

Now that sucks on a few levels- its still nippy here in the early mornings and evenings- and we do still get the odd shower- I just know you will get lucky soon- and it will most likely come in rivers rather than drops-nothing likr the odd wild storm to get the blood flowing- and the pulse racing

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #209 - Oct 24th, 2018 at 3:50am

The thing about Rockhampton is that no matter where it rains in the region, we get the flow of the river rise from tributary rivers flowing into the Fitzroy. So, we won't die of thirst. But it is really irritating to not have sufficient downpours in the year. I think we have passed the lowest on record yearly rainfall record, set back in 2002. But I want to see that we get at least 700mm of rainfall for the year. That would take us to needing 300+mm of rain for the rest of the year. Not likely to happen inside 2 months + 1 week's time.

I have asked some guy on facebook for his rainfall predictions for November 20th. That is my prediction of a heavy rainfall week. He told me that he has not done a study to predict what is happening in a month's time. So, his claims that he has predicted rainfall during rain periods seem to be nothing but retroactive claims. He never seems to back  up his predictions with any long-range forecasts from previous months facebook posts.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 45
Send Topic Print