Weather 2017/18/19- (Read 75256 times)
Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Re: Weather 2017/18
Reply #15 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 8:53pm

cods wrote on Dec 17th, 2017 at 9:36pm:
it would be cold alright   its strange but I had never heard of the Windchill factor until I cam to oz...yet it must eat your ears off back there   I would think...lolol...

It eats your ears and fingers off. The other day I came out of my home wearing gloves and, within just 30 seconds or so - literally - my fingers were hurting with the cold, even with gloves on. Just 30 seconds outside.

I've not seen any icicles yet. They'll probably appear in January, when it gets even colder.

look at that snow in the pic of the Robin...frozen on top and soft underneath you can hear it crunch....no icicles cofgod??? [/quote]

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #16 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:25pm

well going from talking about freezing extremes of cold weather to the Australian summer- in my neck of the woods stinking hot lately and as its summer to be expected- but lately we have had a run of high 30s/40 for a week now and it driving me spare- I refuse to run my a/c day and night so have just forgotten about it and running a large pedestal fan- and taking cold showers when it becomes unbearable- I am applying for jobs in a disability so if they -at the very least- dont have a comfortable environment then it wont be happening- lets see

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #17 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:33pm

Cofgod wrote on Dec 24th, 2017 at 8:53pm:
cods wrote on Dec 17th, 2017 at 9:36pm:
it would be cold alright   its strange but I had never heard of the Windchill factor until I cam to oz...yet it must eat your ears off back there   I would think...lolol...

It eats your ears and fingers off. The other day I came out of my home wearing gloves and, within just 30 seconds or so - literally - my fingers were hurting with the cold, even with gloves on. Just 30 seconds outside.

I've not seen any icicles yet. They'll probably appear in January, when it gets even colder.

look at that snow in the pic of the Robin...frozen on top and soft underneath you can hear it crunch....no icicles cofgod???

[/quote]
Let me swap with you for a little while cofgod- just a week even

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm

With the overcast conditions, the rain, and the occasional showers, I had to turn the hot water system back on to have a decent (non-shivering) shower. It was not hot enough to have the ceiling fan on. But it was too cold to not have a doona over me. But I found that I needed the ceiling fan on to keep me cool with the doona over me.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:51pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:05pm:
With the overcast conditions, the rain, and the occasional showers, I had to turn the hot water system back on to have a decent (non-shivering) shower. It was not hot enough to have the ceiling fan on. But it was too cold to not have a doona over me. But I found that I needed the ceiling fan on to keep me cool with the doona over me.

Sounds like my kind of weather- USR-  I love to sleep under something- wether be doona or large cotton sheet- lovely

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:59pm

An evaporative cooler in your neck of the woods would the go, even a portable one on a stand, they cost less than an old 100watt light bulb to run, I have dual air conditioning, evap and refrigerated, but much prefer the evap as I can leave windows open, why suffer.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #21 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:07pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:59pm:
An evaporative cooler in your neck of the woods would the go, even a portable one on a stand, they cost less than an old 100watt light bulb to run, I have dual air conditioning, evap and refrigerated, but much prefer the evap as I can leave windows open, why suffer.

Haven't had much to do with evaporative Jeez but my sister was renting a place in the outback of nsw- it was as " hot as the hobbs of hell " out there as  my mam used to say and I remember thinking it was quite cool- like a refreshing breeze on a beach or similiar quite  lovely - something to think about I think

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #22 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:09pm

we are in a long and protracted heatwave out here atm- 42/44 tomorrow and its not over yet- my son just flew into this from his Tassie hol - lol

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:30pm

Agnes wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:09pm:
we are in a long and protracted heatwave out here atm- 42/44 tomorrow and its not over yet- my son just flew into this from his Tassie hol - lol

Only three weeks of summer to go, looking forward to that day of 17degrees maximum.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #24 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:53pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:30pm:
Agnes wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 9:09pm:

Only three weeks of summer to go, looking forward to that day of 17degrees maximum.

Three weeks you say- 17 you say- the thought makes me weak at the knees- will be so happy- it has been known to soldier on through March out here- and sometimes our hottest month- but I live in hope - not having to worry about snakes and spiders will great!

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #25 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 11:11pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 8:59pm:

I have an old fashion (1980s style) airconditioner sitting right here in my lounge room. I only ever put it on when the temperature gets over 37 degrees. If I were to get another airconditioner, it would have to go in my bedroom. No other part of my house would handle having a split system as a favoured form of heat control.

Compared with next door who have about 5 airconditioners, one in each bedroom and one downstairs, running them all day. Quite happy to continue using ceiling fans and rinsing off the sweat with 4 x 1 minute showers each day.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #26 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:24pm

My a/c was on today as it was 44 degrees here- just horrible really- I am so grumpy - but we have mild cool change in now- I dont mind a hot day here and there but not days and days in a row in the 40s- hoping the worst of summer is over now- but I bet its not-  Embarrassed

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #27 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:34pm

We here in Qld will be collecting your hot weather, starting Sunday. It should get up to 41 degrees here. It usually gets that hot for a couple days each year here. But we are likely to see that sort of weather for the next week.

A week ago, we had to deal with rain and cooler conditions. Probably got about 100mm of rain for the few days we had the weather. But, I had to put the hot water system on to not be shivering whilst having a shower. The moment the rain went away, we have had a gradual rise in temperature. I turned off the hot water system last night. But I have had to have a few showers using the hot water tap to get the hot water out of the hot water system. See, I have a very dirty hot water system. And when the weather gets warm, I turn the hot water system off, but use the hot water tap to keep the hot water system flushing in fresh water and try to rid the system of the rubbish. It is going to take another year or two to get the system relatively clean.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:37pm

There was a suggestion that we in Rockhampton are in for an extreme heatwave. Perhaps we will see the record of 45 degrees, set in 1990, get challenged by this heat wave. The maps have said that we are looking at getting an extreme heatwave. But I think we might not see anything more than 42 or 43 degrees.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #29 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:49pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
There was a suggestion that we in Rockhampton are in for an extreme heatwave. Perhaps we will see the record of 45 degrees, set in 1990, get challenged by this heat wave. The maps have said that we are looking at getting an extreme heatwave. But I think we might not see anything more than 42 or 43 degrees.

i read that and was wondering if you were getting this one- brace yourself US- its pretty brutal- keep cool whatever way you can- i just dont do heat well- at all

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 45
Send Topic Print