Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Congress hands Trump Historic Presidential Victory (Read 626 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Congress hands Trump Historic Presidential Victory
Nov 25th, 2017 at 3:56pm

Congress has handed Trump a Historic Presidential Victory

Source:      
CNBC
       Quote:
President Donald Trump should give special thanks to two U.S. Senators this Thanksgiving weekend. One is still serving in the Senate, the other recently retired. One is a Republican. The other a Democrat. And what should President Trump be thanking them for? Quite simply they have handed him one of the biggest victories any president could claim in the past 45 years.

Yes, this has happened even as one of the most widely covered stories of the past year has been President Trump's difficulties in working with Congress. The growing rift between him and Republican Senators John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Bob Corker alone has made headlines for months. For a U.S. president to have this many public feuds with senators from his own party this early in his presidency is really unprecedented and makes for hot news copy.

But that story ignores a bigger and longer-lasting development in the federal judiciary. That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench.

Late last week, Grassley decided not to honor a Senate tradition of holding up hearings for judicial nominees who aren't cleared by their own home state senators. That tradition is known as the "blue slip courtesy" born out of time before nationwide communication technology when a given state's senators had access to much more information about nominees than their colleagues from the rest of the country. Grassley correctly noted that Democrats were now trying to use the blue slips tradition to replace the filibuster, and he's having none of that. As recently as last month, the Democrats and much of the news media's punditry were expecting Grassley, who is no fan of the president, to keep the blue slip tradition in place. But Grassley gave Trump this very special gift instead.

And that brings us to the Democrat who provided the initial generous source of President Trump's solid triumph: Former Senate Majority Leader, and Democrat, Harry Reid. Reid is a major reason this good fortune has befallen President Trump because Reid was the one who killed the filibuster rule for judicial nominees in 2013. And when he killed it, it was gone for good.

Republicans were powerless to stop a series of President Obama's judicial nominees after that. That is, until they won control of the Senate in the 2014 elections. The GOP may have failed at using that majority to achieve much, especially making even a dent in Obamacare. But they were able to freeze the Obama nomination process in its tracks, most notably by delaying and eventually killing Merrick Garland's nomination for the Supreme Court.

That long period of confirmation obstruction has given President Trump a huge number of seats to fill; twice as many as President Obama's also large number of vacancies when he took office in 2009. The Christian Science Monitor reports this is likely the most vacancies for a president to fill in 40 years. And the Trump team hasn't been wasting much time.

For those who believe President Trump won the 2016 election thanks to a series of Democratic Party errors, this is cut from the exact same cloth.

Consider that as of November 3rd, 13 Trump nominees to the courts have been confirmed this year. The big name is Supreme Court Associate Justice Neil Gorsuch, but we also have eight new federal appeals court judges, and four new U.S. district court judges. President Trump has now already surpassed the last four presidents' records for first-year judicial confirmations. And he's even tied President Ronald Reagan number of appeals court confirmations in year one.

But this isn't just about sheer numbers, it's about ideology too. While President Trump and conservatives have diverged in matters of policy several times over the past year, the judicial nomination process is decidedly not one of them. The nominees sent to the Senate from the White House are more conservative and even younger than what we saw during President George W. Bush's two terms in office.

In case the importance of making an impact on the courts is lost on anyone, just note the many setbacks the Trump administration has suffered this year alone thanks to the courts. Delays and changes to the White House-imposed travel and immigration bans have grabbed the most attention. But the administration is also dealing with judicial push back and other potential hurdles on everything from its opposition to the AT&T-Time Warner merger to its transgender military ban.

Now fast forward a couple of years where the Trump judicial appointment surge will have set in across the federal system. Just for this administration alone, that could make a huge difference. And for conservative causes and cases over time, it will be even more significant......continued

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:16pm by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Re: Congress hands Trump Historic Presidential Victory
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 3:59pm

How Sweeeeeeeeet It Is!!! 

One more appointee to the US Supreme Court,
& the Conservatives can hold SCOTUS for the next few decades
..... AT LEAST!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:21pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 6:45pm

THIS is what you call a 'historic victory'??? A change in a procedural matter?

Your desperation shows as you try so hard, just SO HARD, to find a Trump-related achievement. And this is the best you can do?

Your pathetic nature surfaces yet again.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:08am

Trump still smashing it out of the park....

im sure they'll be working on some illegal shenanigans to try and get him out...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:23am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:08am:
im sure they'll be working on some illegal shenanigans to try and get him out...

"they" won't have to as Mueller is "draining the swamp" ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:39am

AiA wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:23am:

funny how you knew what I was talking about...

you know that this is a hit job as well but you turn a blind eye because you are a never Trumper and you want to see America continue on its decline economically and ethnically with millions of illegals to flood in under the Dems...

you are nothing but a traitor and a paedophile supporter...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:53am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:39am:
AiA wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:23am:

funny how you knew what I was talking about...

you know that this is a hit job as well but you turn a blind eye because you are a never Trumper and you want to see America continue on its decline economically and ethnically with millions of illegals to flood in under the Dems...

you are nothing but a traitor and a paedophile supporter...

First, Moron, I live in America and you don't meaning I have skin in the game and you don't. Second, Trump is doing little to nothing to improve economic conditions in America for the average American. Third, most Americans have no problem with sensible immigration laws, myself included.

You, friend, are the a pedophile supporter as you support Roy Moore.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 7:03pm

AiA wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 8:53am:
First, Moron, I live in America and you don't meaning I have skin in the game and you don't. Second, Trump is doing little to nothing to improve economic conditions in America for the average American. Third, most Americans have no problem with sensible immigration laws, myself included.

You, friend, are the a pedophile supporter as you support Roy Moore.

...          ...          ...

Source:      
CNBC

Quote:
President Donald Trump should give special thanks to two U.S. Senators this Thanksgiving weekend. One is still serving in the Senate, the other recently retired. One is a Republican. The other a Democrat. And what should President Trump be thanking them for? Quite simply they have handed him one of the biggest victories any president could claim in the past 45 years.

Yes, this has happened even as one of the most widely covered stories of the past year has been President Trump's difficulties in working with Congress. The growing rift between him and Republican Senators John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Bob Corker alone has made headlines for months. For a U.S. president to have this many public feuds with senators from his own party this early in his presidency is really unprecedented and makes for hot news copy.

But that story ignores a bigger and longer-lasting development in the federal judiciary. That brings us first to naming the Republican gift giver: Senator Chuck Grassley from Iowa. The longtime member of Congress has big time clout as the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. And Grassley has just used that clout to eliminate one of the final hurdles in the already furious pace of Trump administration judicial appointments to the federal bench.......continued

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 7:33pm

Trump won the right to push through poor judicial nominees and you are pleased ???

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 9:56pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 29th, 2017 at 7:33pm:
Trump won the right to push through poor judicial nominees and you are pleased ???

If there is one thing we have learned it is that trumptards are not interested in justice, morality or democracy.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:51pm

For all the DEMOCRACY Purists.....who don't know how to read, in the Senate, that actually made the the Senate more DEMOCRATIC by requiring only a simple majority.

The 200+ year old Filibuster Rule in the US Senate, by the way, is another example where America is controlled by rules & laws, as opposed to a Democratic Process.

The Filibuster Rule permits minorities to control passage of legislation & appointments. The way the rule was prior to the Reid led democrat Senate changed it in 2013.

With filibusters a simple majority can not pass legislation or pass through appointees , unless it becomes a super-majority (2/3rds majority) which could overcome the filibuster.

This rule change done in 2013 by the democrats will now bite the democrats in the ass, as we have already seen, because they can't use the old rule to filibuster the judicial appointments, & stop President Trump's judicial appointees from being approved.

America is a Constitutional Republic & not a Democracy......this filibuster rule is one flat out proof of that....the filibuster rule that took power away from the majority, & gives it to the minority........egg on the face of a democracy, which the American Founding Fathers fought so hard in making sure America was ruled by law & not by the mob.....as in true Democracy!  Wink

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:00pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:12pm

Panther wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:51pm:
For all the DEMOCRACY Purists.....who don't know how to read, in the Senate, that actually made the the Senate more DEMOCRATIC by requiring only a simple majority.

The 200+ year old Filibuster Rule in the US Senate, by the way, is another example where America is controlled by rules & laws, as opposed to a Democratic Process.

The Filibuster Rule permits minorities to control passage of legislation & appointments. The way the rule was prior to the Reid led democrat Senate changed it in 2013.

With filibusters a simple majority can not pass legislation or pass through appointees , unless it becomes a super-majority (2/3rds majority) which could overcome the filibuster.

This rule change done in 2013 by the democrats will now bite the democrats in the ass, as we have already seen, because they can't use the old rule to filibuster the judicial appointments, & stop President Trump's judicial appointees from being approved.

America is a Constitutional Republic & not a Democracy......this filibuster rule is one flat out proof of that....the filibuster rule that took power away from the majority, & gives it to the minority........egg on the face of a democracy, which the American Founding Fathers fought so hard in making sure America was ruled by law & not by the mob.....as in true Democracy!  Wink

51/49 IS a majority or it is in left-wing mathematics. Maybe in right-wing maths it is different.

Please, please tell the GOP that America is not a democracy. I'd love to hear their response. You cant ask Trump that Q however since it is doubtful he even knows the answer... or cares.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:16pm

The demonrats are powerless to stop a narrow Republican majority in the Senate when the President submits an appointee to the US Federal Courts. Why? Because they.....the demonrats.....gave away their minority power of the Filibuster in 2013...

...  Thank you demonrats one & all, for making the President's victories, present & future, so much easier!   

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:54pm

Panther wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:16pm:
The demonrats are powerless to stop a narrow Republican majority in the Senate when the President submits an appointee to the US Federal Courts. Why? Because they.....the demonrats.....gave away their minority power of the Filibuster in 2013...

http://i.imgur.com/3OG3n.gif  Thank you demonrats one & all, for making the President's victories, present & future, so much easier!   
http://33sm.net16.net/smileys/dance2fz9.gif

But will there be enough votes to put Trump back in power after the 25th amendment emoves him for mental failings?  Coz we all know THAT is coming.

See some of the 'trump is insane' threads.  Which naturally you are avoiding.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:10am

longweekend58 wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:54pm:
Panther wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 5:16pm:

http://i.imgur.com/3OG3n.gif  Thank you demonrats one & all, for making the President's victories, present & future, so much easier!   
http://33sm.net16.net/smileys/dance2fz9.gif

But will there be enough votes to put Trump back in power after the 25th amendment emoves him for mental failings?  Coz we all know THAT is coming.

See some of the 'trump is insane' threads.  Which naturally you are avoiding.

Desperate times for butthurt, desperate little miscreants, who can't come to grips with Donald Trump becoming & being President.

Your back on IGNORE......
  ...    Wink

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:16am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print