Send Topic Print
Prawns for Christmas (Read 3526 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Prawns for Christmas
Nov 25th, 2017 at 2:00pm

Think I'll go to the fish market this week and buy 5kgs of frozen prawns so I don't have to line up with all the suckers closer to Christmas.

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Prawns for Christmas
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 2:57pm

Already done, good West Australian ones as well.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 3:02pm

Could you pick some up for me too please?   2 kg will be enough and must be ocean and not farmed     Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:52pm

Those Shopping Centre prawns (Coles, Woolworths, Aldi, etc) are all just disgusting. They go off really quick with their heads sliming out quickly.  Tongue Yuk.
I never get prawns from 'city' areas.

Cowell Bay in South Australia have awesome prawns and they deliver all over the lower regional centre. We would get their deliveries in the Riverina (NSW) and absolute yum!

I live on south NSW coast - so I'm looking forward to my prawns that have been caught in good clean water, rather than from pollutant run-offs from cities.

I had a live prawn once. As I bit down slowly onto it, I could feel it wiggling its legs more desperately. Obviously in a hell of a lot of pain - I then crushed it out of its misery. I bet it felt much like a human in a car crash eh  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:07pm

ugh! frozen... none for me thanks....

can you see record prices this year  $50 a kilo.... Sad Sad

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:16pm

cods wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:07pm:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
$50 a kilo!!!
This country has lost the plot!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:22pm

apparently as a result of white spot disease- the closer to xmas the more expensive they will be

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 6:56pm

Codsy, did you know the vast majority, like 90% of wild caught Australian prawns are frozen on the boat moments after they're caught. The boats are out for a week at a time so the logistics of delivering 'fresh' prawns to you puts them in a price bracket just about nobody can afford.

When you buy non-frozen prawns, they've been bought frozen then thawed by the shop.

The freshest way is to buy them still frozen and defrost yourself.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:43pm

$50 bucks a kilo!  Shocked

Well that's a
"Bah Humbug!"
from me this Christmas.

If anyone say's why I ain't eating Prawns and that I'm being 'un-Australian'.
I'm going to tell them it's better than being a patriotic idiot!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:48pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:43pm:

Well that's a
"Bah Humbug!"
from me this Christmas.

One place at the fish market sells bags of tail on tiger prawn which are peeled bagged and frozen on the boat for  $50. Not bad value when you consider you're not paying extra for the shell.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 7:50am

Gordon wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 6:56pm:

Codsy, did you know the vast majority, like 90% of wild caught Australian prawns are frozen on the boat moments after they're caught. The boats are out for a week at a time so the logistics of delivering 'fresh' prawns to you puts them in a price bracket just about nobody can afford.

When you buy non-frozen prawns, they've been bought frozen then thawed by the shop.

The freshest way is to buy them still frozen and defrost yourself.

yes pet I know but snap frozen  is better....and thats how aussie prawns  get done....when we live din Wollongong we got them fresh caught  by a local...smashing... but of course it spoils you for what we put up with today..

any fish does not freeze well... or should I say defrost well...everything about it changes.. well imo...but it is what it is.....I almost never buy them anyway..lol  if I get any this Xmas it wont be because I bought them... Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 7:51am

Gordon wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:43pm:

Well that's a
"Bah Humbug!"
from me this Christmas.

One place at the fish market sells bags of tail on tiger prawn which are peeled bagged and frozen on the boat for  $50. Not bad value when you consider you're not paying extra for the shell.

and think of the work it saves you??.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:18am

Yeah. When I lived in Sydney. I would drive down to the 'Gong' to get my seafood from that place right on the Harbour. I would dive and snorkel a lot around there.

I think people are lazy if they pay an extra $30 for them to be pre-shelled. Part of the enjoyment is the shelling of prawns. I've seen people shell a prawn in 2 seconds.

I live a lot further down the Coast now. The seafood is better. I used to date a top 'Cook' (won't mention name) who always made sure the fish were still 'alive', slightly chilled, for her preparation. At just 16 years of age, in her younger days, she ran a family Restaurant in Sydney - she was that good. You can imagine the look on her Family's faces  when I was invited for the first 'big dinner' and Tarzan here thought the bowl of lemon water was for dipping the chicken in for marination.  Embarrassed  They all stopped eating and watched me quietly in  Shocked The step-father (Austrian) just said "And where the hell did you get Tarzan from?" Typical 'uncultured' Aussie.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:52am

Jasin wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:18am:
Yeah. When I lived in Sydney. I would drive down to the 'Gong' to get my seafood from that place right on the Harbour. I would dive and snorkel a lot around there.

I think people are lazy if they pay an extra $30 for them to be pre-shelled. Part of the enjoyment is the shelling of prawns. I've seen people shell a prawn in 2 seconds.

I live a lot further down the Coast now. The seafood is better. I used to date a top 'Cook' (won't mention name) who always made sure the fish were still 'alive', slightly chilled, for her preparation. At just 16 years of age, in her younger days, she ran a family Restaurant in Sydney - she was that good. You can imagine the look on her Family's faces  when I was invited for the first 'big dinner' and Tarzan here thought the bowl of lemon water was for dipping the chicken in for marination.  Embarrassed  They all stopped eating and watched me quietly in  Shocked The step-father (Austrian) just said "And where the hell did you get Tarzan from?" Typical 'uncultured' Aussie.

Those pre-shelled ones are actually more for everyday use, chuck them in a tom yum soup or onto the BBQ on a weeknight when I don't want to fuss. They're also primo quality.

In shell are of course better as I use the heads to boil and add depth to soups Smiley

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 11:04am

Gordon wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:52am:

Those pre-shelled ones are actually more for everyday use, chuck them in a tom yum soup or onto the BBQ on a weeknight when I don't want to fuss. They're also primo quality.

In shell are of course better as I use the heads to boil and add depth to soups Smiley

I've never heard of that done before. Most people bag their prawn heads to be frozen and later put in hidden places to rot and smell upon their unsuspecting enemies. Placed in car air-filters is a good spot.  Wink  Cheesy

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 12:18pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 11:04am:

I've never heard of that done before. Most people bag their prawn heads to be frozen and later put in hidden places to rot and smell upon their unsuspecting enemies. Placed in car air-filters is a good spot.  Wink  Cheesy

I remember reading about a very nasty divorce  husband leaves with his mistress then fights the wife for every cent...in the end the court said she had to leave the family home it was part of his share... so she knew he would do some paint work  but otherwise was a miserable old git and wouldnt replace anything..... so she sewed prawn heads and shells into the hems of all the drapes in the home.....

by the time they tracked them down   the house was almost a write off.......you can do some terrible things with  prawns... maybe its pay back for eating them.. Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:04pm

Yes - prawns always get their revenge in the after-life.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #17 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:38pm

I've never heard of that done before.

You're kidding right? Boil the shells and heads for about an hour, skimming every 10 minutes. Freeze the stock into cubes and chuck it into just about anything you want to add a depth of flavour to.

Oh and cars, when I lived in a place near the beach where would drive into our apartment block and park in our numbered spots, I had a back of the cheapest imported frozen seafood marinara mix. Chuck it in the blender with a bit of water and pour the sludge down the air vents.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:44pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
[quote author=JaSin link=1511582436/12#12 date=1511655501]Yeah. When I lived in Sydney. I would drive down to the 'Gong' to get my seafood from that place right on the Harbour. I would dive and snorkel a lot around there.

I've never heard of that done before.

You're kidding right? Boil the shells and heads for about an hour, skimming every 10 minutes. Freeze the stock into cubes and chuck it into just about anything you want to add a depth of flavour to.

Oh and cars, when I lived in a place near the beach where would drive into our apartment block and park in our numbered spots, I had a back of the cheapest imported frozen seafood marinara mix. Chuck it in the blender with a bit of water and pour the sludge down the air vents.[/quote]

I like that!  Grin

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 6:10pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 2:00pm:
Think I'll go to the fish market this week and buy 5kgs of frozen prawns so I don't have to line up with all the suckers closer to Christmas.

Prawns make nice bait, no?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 5:47am

Bought some prawns from Glenmore Seafoods. Most delicious prawns I had eaten in a long time. I might actually go and get some a couple weeks before Christmas, too. Prices will be through the roof, seeing that there is a shortage of prawns.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:04am

This 'shortage' of Prawns is a bit suss.
Reminds me of that 'horse virus' many years ago.

Me thinks they've sold heaps overseas.
Had a little bit left.
Called it a shortage.
And jacked the prices up big time.
Australians being 'ripped off' once again.
Roll Eyes
What's the excuse this time - some other 'disease' out there?

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #22 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 8:54am

I always understood that most pre-peeled prawns were imported so I have always avoided them.    They are also usually quite small.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:45pm

"Please don't eat me. I have 52 little shrimpies to care for. Have pity. I don't want to be eaten."

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #24 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:55pm

Black Orchid wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 8:54am:
I always understood that most pre-peeled prawns were imported so I have always avoided them.    They are also usually quite small.

Probably, but these are tail on tiger prawns, 100% Aussie from Di Costi. They're not huge, I'd call them a medium sized tiger which is still pretty big.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2017 at 2:02pm by Gordon »  

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:30pm

I can't do it. Sad
I don't think I can eat Prawns this Christmas.
Just when I'm about to bite down on one,
I'm afraid Mothra will appear out of nowhere!
Shocked

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:41pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:30pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

Just don't eat their eyes.   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:25pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:41pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

I collect them and sell a jar of 'eyes' to my Chinese neighbour as Caviar for $30

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #28 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:30pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

I collect them and sell a jar of 'eyes' to my Chinese neighbour as Caviar for $30

When I was a kid there was an urban myth going around that cicada eyes were priceless in Japan.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:31pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:30pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

When I was a kid there was an urban myth going around that cicada eyes were priceless in Japan.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #30 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:44pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

Grin Grin Grin

Just remembered,  when I was a kid we had a black lab that was a guts and would eat anything.

We used to catch and feed it cicadas,  you could hear them chirping as they went down.

Did they feel pain?

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:36pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:44pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 27th, 2017 at 4:31pm:
I can't do it. Sad
Shocked

Grin Grin Grin

Just remembered,  when I was a kid we had a black lab that was a guts and would eat anything.

We used to catch and feed it cicadas,  you could hear them chirping as they went down.

Did they feel pain?

Only when they are squeezed out the other end.  Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print