Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Your magical soccer memories (Read 918 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Your magical soccer memories
Nov 24th, 2017 at 2:09pm

There have been many but these stand out:

1. George Best & Rodney Marsh playing a season for Fulham in their declining years. Like vintage wine.

2. Maradona taking Napoli to the championship, I think it was 1987. Fresh from his 1986 world cup triumph (hand of god or not), he and the Brazilian Careca were magic. SBS showed every game they could get their hands on.

3. Roberto Baggio scoring a goal, I think it was in Chicago, in the 1994 world cup. He brought the ball across from the left wing to midfield, as I remember (?), and then . . .bang - a long way into the net.
What a squad that was.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: Your magical soccer memories
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:05am

4 Those grey & fuzzy images from Match of the Day with the likes of George Best & Manchester United.

5 I might have mentioned this one before, never mind, the great Barcelona side with Stoichkov & (oh FCK can't remember his name) the Brazilian

6 The mighty AC Milan side with the Dutch trio of wizards incl Ruud Gullit, as well as Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini (Club Chairman one Berlusconi if I'm not mistaken)

So many great memories . . .but I can't be the only infatuee of the beautiful game?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 9:14am

Magic....

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 10:50am

I could bore for Australia with this . . .and probably will, given time.

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 1:21am

Gazza's goal for hosts England vs Scotland in Euro 96 at Wembley:

Germany 1-5 England: World Cup qualifier, Munich, 1st September 2001:

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:51am

Gazza was great in his day. Pity he used to blub so often.
Did he ever play in Europe? I have a feeling he had a short stint somewhere but I can't remember.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 11:00am

Living in Leichhardt when Croatia beat Italy in the World Cup.
Walking down Norton Street and I watch x3 Croatian fans walk up towards the main congregation of Italians to rub it in. I shake my head at them for being absolute idiots.  Roll Eyes
Sure enough, on the front page the next day - those 3 guys are photographed looking crap-scared taking cover behind a car because the Italian fans have 'hurled' their abuse at them.

Watching Germany's 7-1 destruction of the great Brazillian ego. Seeing the likes of Naima where his own 'Naima cap' rather than a Brazillian one and the players egotistically expressing their 'right' in the name of God to be World Cup Champs because they are ...Brazil. It was a pleasure to watch a well oiled machine of Germany destroy the individual brilliance of an incredibly over-rated Brazil of wannabe celebrities.
I've seen Australia run rings around the Brazillians years ago at the MCG (even got to stand next to Dipper!  Smiley ) - until the Brazillian ego started to get violent and Australian pulled off its 3 best players to let Brazil come back and win.  Roll Eyes How dare we beat Brazil !  Angry

As a kid, watching West Ham come to Australia for a tour. The following years - our Australian influence must have paid off because West Ham climbed a few divisions to become a consistent contender in the Premier League.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:18pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:51am:
Gazza was great in his day. Pity he used to blub so often.
Did he ever play in Europe? I have a feeling he had a short stint somewhere but I can't remember.

Gazza had 92 appearances for Newcastle United; 92 appearances for Tottenham Hotspur; 43 appearances for Lazio; 74 appearances for Rangers; 41 appearances for Middlesbrough; 32 appearances for Everton; 6 appearances for Burnley; 4 appearances for Gansu Tianma; and 4 appearances for Lincolnshire club Boston United.

He made 8 appearances in the Champions League, all with Rangers I think.

Here are my two great footballing memories (those videos I posted below didn't work):

Gazza's goal for hosts England vs Scotland in Euro 96 at Wembley:

Germany 1-5 England: World Cup qualifier, Munich, 1st September 2001:

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2017 at 3:13am by Cofgod »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 8:28am

Any soccer game ending and everyone leaving

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged