Send Topic Print
The Happiest Refugee (Read 1294 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
The Happiest Refugee
Nov 23rd, 2017 at 7:04am

Just finished Anh Do's memoir and family story. Many people will know Anh as the multi-talented TV personality. This is a great, totally Australian story from a Vietnamese perspective. Its chatty in style but is full of humanity, laughs and brief but tense drama. It almost has you believing in blind luck, but these are some brave, hardworking people who deserve their success. And as boat people escaping communist Vietnam, they came to Australia legally.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: The Happiest Refugee
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 3:55pm

Yep and have no ambitions about undermining our society.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:01pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 3:55pm:

Its stories like Anh's that make me want to support multicultural Australia. It too bad it has been hijacked on the Humanist Left to justify open borders, and vilified on the Far Right to bolster some weird idea of inherent racial traits.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:13pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:01pm:

Its stories like Anh's that make me want to support multicultural Australia. It too bad it has been hijacked on the Humanist Left to justify open borders, and vilified on the Far Right to bolster some weird idea of inherent racial traits.

It's a matter of getting the right mix of people.

Viets aren't perfect, they're heavy involved in MJ cultivation in West Sydney but they do it quietly and without gang violence.

But I can't imagine any circumstance, any comment, a cartoon or photo that would cause 1000+ Vietnamese to congregate in Hyde Park brandishing beheading signs. It just couldn't happen.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 2:51pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:13pm:
issuevoter wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 9:01pm:

It's a matter of getting the right mix of people.

Viets aren't perfect, they're heavy involved in MJ cultivation in West Sydney but they do it quietly and without gang violence.

But I can't imagine any circumstance, any comment, a cartoon or photo that would cause 1000+ Vietnamese to congregate in Hyde Park brandishing beheading signs. It just couldn't happen.

when you think of the Killing Fields...they have a lot to HATE dont they?

my old neighbours are Vietnamese  came with the first boat people I think  and nice sweeter people you couldnt wish to meet... made spring rolls to die for.which they shared with everyone...I think they were more than grateful for their good fortune   unlike some groups...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print