Not long to go.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Cricket - The Ashes
Reply #61 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:37pm

England: x1 bad player, x10 good players
Australia: x1 good player, x10 bad players

...now what are the odds of Australia winning the Series, for want of just winning the first match?  Wink

Amusing the 'adverts' for this Series: Smith as the Bradman & Broad as the Jardine. Jeez, talk about a 'replay'.

Ask yourselves how the West Indies did with just Brian Lara shining?

When Bradman was around - his own team despised him because it was all about 'the Bradman' and nothing else.

Take into account too that 'Test Cricket' is won mostly by good bowling, than good batting.

I bet Cook scores a century in the last match after England seal the series. Seen it all before.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:45pm

For a start the Windies were a flash in the pan, nothing before and nothing since that 70s run.
Bradman was a good bloke and well respected, not just for his cricketing abilities.
The ashes are in the balance right now and at 2/17 the pommy bastards are on the back foot.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #63 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:55pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:45pm:
For a start the Windies were a flash in the pan, nothing before and nothing since that 70s run.
Bradman was a good bloke and well respected, not just for his cricketing abilities.
The ashes are in the balance right now and at 2/17 the pommy bastards are on the back foot.

Grin
Bradman wasn't a 'good bloke' - he was arrogant, a dictator and disliked by his team-mates. It was all about 'him'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:06pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 4:55pm:

Grin
Bradman wasn't a 'good bloke' - he was arrogant, a dictator and disliked by his team-mates. It was all about 'him'.

Your wrong, the Don was a good bloke, I can understand a bit of resentment from his team mates when they are around such greatness and drawing all the lime light.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:14pm

Johnnie wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:06pm:

Grin

Your wrong, the Don was a good bloke, I can understand a bit of resentment from his team mates when they are around such greatness and drawing all the lime light.

Have you ever joined a 'team' but it is dominated by an 'individual'? It goes beyond resentment. Bradman should of F@#%ed off and played Golf.
He was a sporting Dictator.

...so you are saying we should sacrifice Australian 'Cricket', just so we can see Smith surpass a Bradman record or something?

Over-Achievers can be just as bad as Under-Achievers.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:25pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:14pm:
Johnnie wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:06pm:

Grin

Have you ever joined a 'team' but it is dominated by an 'individual'? It goes beyond resentment. Bradman should of F@#%ed off and played Golf.
He was a sporting Dictator.

...so you are saying we should sacrifice Australian 'Cricket', just so we can see Smith surpass a Bradman record or something?

Over-Achievers can be just as bad as Under-Achievers.

So WHAT, sack the likes of Steve Smith, let them let the bat do the talking, this is serious business, it is the ASHES.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:30pm

A bit late to sack Smith.
Though he should be 'sacked' as Captain.
The rot has set in for at least another decade of poor cricketing form from Australia. The damage is done.

5th on World Rankings!  Roll Eyes

Wayne Bennet took over coaching of the Dragons and told all the players they are all 'equal' and will play as a 'team'.
Gasnier couldn't cope with his 'stardom' being compromised so he left for France to be treated like a God.
The following year - the Dragons won the Grand Final.

"Teamwork" in Team Sports.

Smith absolutely SUCKS as a Captain at least.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:44pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 5:30pm:
A bit late to sack Smith.
Though he should be 'sacked' as Captain.
The rot has set in for at least another decade of poor cricketing form from Australia. The damage is done.

5th on World Rankings!  Roll Eyes

Wayne Bennet took over coaching of the Dragons and told all the players they are all 'equal' and will play as a 'team'.
Gasnier couldn't cope with his 'stardom' being compromised so he left for France to be treated like a God.
The following year - the Dragons won the Grand Final.

"Teamwork" in Team Sports.

Smith absolutely SUCKS as a Captain at least.

Teem work is all well and good but when you are out in the middle as a batsman you cant pass the ball.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #69 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:06pm

Amazing classic 1st 3 days.

We have Steve Smith, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyons to thank for this.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 9:42pm

We have Steve Smith, Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyons to thank for this.

Marsh did a good job as well.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 9:44pm

Bradman wasn't a 'good bloke' - he was arrogant, a dictator and disliked by his team-mates. It was all about 'him'

My late father was a high grade cricketer,,, he hated Bradman with a passion.
He also said he only played for himself.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #72 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 10:01pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 9:44pm:
Bradman wasn't a 'good bloke' - he was arrogant, a dictator and disliked by his team-mates. It was all about 'him'

My late father was a high grade cricketer,,, he hated Bradman with a passion.
He also said he only played for himself.

Yep. Been told similar by scores of people. Anyone batting with Bradman wasn't allowed to call the run. It was all about Bradman. Total over-achiever who sacrificed the whole team for his own self glory.

Jonah Lomu wasn't as arrogant. But the rest of the All Blacks came to rely on him doing the match-winning try.
The Springboks & French only had to play against 'one' player - hence why they won the World Cups.

Smith sucks! Maybe not as a batsman - but as a Captain? Totally! He even admitted it on TV with Mark Taylor (Saturday) that 'batting' comes first. What an absolute arrogant little brat.

Just because someone is good at something, sometimes it means that they shouldn't. Lack of 'character' is a good sign of this.
Get rid of the boofhead 20/20 Coach during the Test series and sack Smith from the Captaincy. 'Anyone' else would be better.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #73 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 12:21am

Steve Smith = Captain Defiant.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 9:44am

I dislike Joe Root, however he has got a bit of the "Mike Brearley" about him and begrudgingly I have to say we should not underestimate him and his team.

Today we will see if he can produce a captains innings like Smith did.

If not today, I think before the series is over Joe Root will prove himself.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19
Send Topic Print