Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
If Lidia Thorpe is an aborigine then my name's (Read 9542 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: If Lidia Thorpe is an aborigine then my name's
Reply #45 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:21pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 6:28pm:
Frank wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 5:03pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 23rd, 2017 at 2:24pm:
*SIGH*.   I don't know why I bother.  There is nothing Genetically different between the white and the dark girl.  They are Genetically identical - both because they are twins but also because they are human beings.  There is only one "race", the Human one.   We are all members, even Herbie and Soren.   It is what allows dark skinned/yellow skinned/white skinned people to interbreed.   There is more Genetic differences within each "racial" group than there is between them.   Racists focus on the external, superficial, physical adaptations our ancestors developed to cope with differing environmental conditions.   In reality we all share the same Genes, the same Chromosomes.   It's time you people woke up to reality.  Your racism is old, tired and out of date.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

How is this relevant to the immediately obvious to everyone, Bwian??  Your lying eyes are deceiving you?

Because, Soren, it disproves that the entire concept of "Race" as defined by Racists is wrong.  It is founded on the idea that the various "races" are Genetically different to one another and that one (usually Whites) is supposedly superior to all others.  In reality, it has nothing do with what colour your skin is/shape of your eyes/thickness of your lips, etc.   It is all because of circumstance.   White people were circumstantially lucky that they developed a better technology and had the drive to use it to dominate other groups on the globe.   It wasn't because of the colour of their skin, it wasn't because of their Genetics.  It was purely circumstantial, nothing more.    Roll Eyes

Circumstantially lucky????? Is that one of your hallucinatory concepts?

Organising a society is not a matter of 'circumstantial luck', Bwian. It's not some invisible hand that makes someone purposeful and cooperative while others are slovenly and selfish. These are not matters of 'circumstantial luck'.

There is such a thing as social organisation, social solidarity, politics, shared culture and the rest of it. The better these are, the better a society is.
Very importantly, every society CAN mark a path for itself and act in a purposeful and organised way to follow it (after all, that is what progressive means, Bwian). No need for any 'circumstantial luck' for that.

Should we rename 'progressives' as the 'circumstantially lucky', Bwian??

Hmmm?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  tsk, tsk.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:26pm

Frank wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:21pm:
Organising a society is not a matter of 'circumstantial luck', Bwian

not totally, but without luck it doesn't happen .

but what animal do you suggest the abo's farm and raise for a constant source of food supply? Kangaroos? wombats? perhaps emu's? ... good luck with that. What crops do you think they could have farmed?

Until they can spend their days doing something other than worrying/hunting/gathering food, society cannot develop.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:50pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:26pm:
Organising a society is not a matter of 'circumstantial luck', Bwian

not totally, but without luck it doesn't happen .

but what animal do you suggest the abo's farm and raise for a constant source of food supply? Kangaroos? wombats? perhaps emu's? ... good luck with that. What crops do you think they could have farmed?

Until they can spend their days doing something other than worrying/hunting/gathering food, society cannot develop.

Why not? They eat them, don't they?
If whitey can do it in a strange land, why can't the natives?http://www.emufarm.iinet.net.au/

How did almost every other society get out of hunting gathering.

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:56pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #48 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 7:25pm

Herb -  Do you like being Sambo ?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:45pm

Nicole ~ Ricki-Lee Coulter has Maori blood in her but she never calls herself a Maori.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Frank wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:50pm:
If whitey can do it in a strange land, why can't the natives?http://www.emufarm.iinet.net.au/

Every other society had  hoofed animals that weren't able to jump over 6ft fences. Cattle, sheep, pigs, horses, buffalo, deer etc

whitey only does it today with modern technology. The feed used in that emu farm you linked to is made up of mostly corn wheat and alfalfa ... all unavailable to aborigines. Even today farming emu's is so difficult that very few emu farms exist. Aborigines didn't have the resources to build fences to farm roo's or emu's, or the resources to feed them ... 

even today farmers can't keep roos out of their paddocks. How do you suggest they keep them in pre european times? with twigs?  Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #51 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:00pm

*SIGH*.   I don't know why I bother.  There is nothing Genetically different between the white and the dark girl.  They are Genetically identical - both because they are twins but also because they are human beings.  There is only one "race", the Human one.   We are all members, even Herbie and Soren.   It is what allows dark skinned/yellow skinned/white skinned people to interbreed.   There is more Genetic differences within each "racial" group than there is between them.   Racists focus on the external, superficial, physical adaptations our ancestors developed to cope with differing environmental conditions.   In reality we all share the same Genes, the same Chromosomes.   It's time you people woke up to reality.  Your racism is old, tired and out of date.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

How is this relevant to the immediately obvious to everyone, Bwian??  Your lying eyes are deceiving you?

Because, Soren, it disproves that the entire concept of "Race" as defined by Racists is wrong.  It is founded on the idea that the various "races" are Genetically different to one another and that one (usually Whites) is supposedly superior to all others.  In reality, it has nothing do with what colour your skin is/shape of your eyes/thickness of your lips, etc.   It is all because of circumstance.   White people were circumstantially lucky that they developed a better technology and had the drive to use it to dominate other groups on the globe.   It wasn't because of the colour of their skin, it wasn't because of their Genetics.  It was purely circumstantial, nothing more.    Roll Eyes

Organising a society is not a matter of 'circumstantial luck', Bwian. It's not some invisible hand that makes someone purposeful and cooperative while others are slovenly and selfish. These are not matters of 'circumstantial luck'.

There is such a thing as social organisation, social solidarity, politics, shared culture and the rest of it. The better these are, the better a society is.
Very importantly, every society CAN mark a path for itself and act in a purposeful and organised way to follow it (after all, that is what progressive means, Bwian). No need for any 'circumstantial luck' for that.

I recommend you read Jared Diamond's work, Guns, Germs, and Steel, Soren.  It is all laid out there, rationally and above all else, sensibly.   You can buck the trend of Anthropology/Ethnography if you like but you are the one who will perpetually be out there in the wilderness.   White people are circumstantially lucky they developed the thinking that allowed them to develop industrially, which in turn allowed them to build the ships, the guns and to use the germs to dominate the other continents.   Other Peoples could have developed those theories, that social organisation - indeed until the 16th century the world superpower was China, it had the technology, the thinking and the money but had no desire to rule what was over the horizon.   It was why European powers wanted to trade with China - to get that money, it was why the Europeans hooked the Chinese society on Opium - to get their silver.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 6:43am

Very well said.

Brian, I hope you are taking these opportunities to learn from your betters.

Don't be too proud to put aside your ego on occasions like this for the good of advancing your understanding of certain realities which you would otherwise wish to deny because they don't suit your moral absolutism that demands on no account must it be said that White Western society is a vast improvement on Third World cultures that still go bare-foot and live precariously between life and death depending on crop failures or abundant harvests.

Check out which countries are the benefactors with their Foreign Aid, and to which brass bowl countries is this annual largess directed. 

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #53 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 7:20am

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 8:45pm:
Nicole ~ Ricki-Lee Coulter has Maori blood in her but she never calls herself a Maori.

No it isn't compulsory you know.

Is there a point to your revelation ?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 12:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:00pm:

I recommend you read Jared Diamond's work, Guns, Germs, and Steel, Soren.  It is all laid out there, rationally and above all else, sensibly.   You can buck the trend of Anthropology/Ethnography if you like but you are the one who will perpetually be out there in the wilderness.   White people are circumstantially lucky they developed the thinking that allowed them to develop industrially, which in turn allowed them to build the ships, the guns and to use the germs to dominate the other continents.   Other Peoples could have developed those theories, that social organisation - indeed until the 16th century the world superpower was China, it had the technology, the thinking and the money but had no desire to rule what was over the horizon.   It was why European powers wanted to trade with China - to get that money, it was why the Europeans hooked the Chinese society on Opium - to get their silver.   Roll Eyes

Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel  gets plenty wrong. It is only ONE view, Bwian, and by no means accepted and uncontrovertible.  Niall Ferguson's The West and the Rest offers a different view.  There are others besides.

Individual agency is important. Social organisation is important. People's relationships to each other is important As is their religion/conception of the world. People organise their societies in the image of their 'gods' (ie what is important in their conception of the world). These are not matters of 'circumstantial luck'.

But let's say it's all luck - what does the lucky OWE to the unlucky??  If it's all blind fortune then why go against fortune?  Is luck given on merit? It's can't be, it's just luck - so why does the lucky have to give to the unlucky anything??  Explain this on entirely 'circumstantial luck' grounds, and do not bring in my kind of argument, which you poo-poo, about social organisation, morality and relationships.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 12:12pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 9:01pm:
Frank wrote on Nov 24th, 2017 at 5:50pm:

Aborigines didn't have the resources to build fences to farm roo's or emu's, or the resources to feed them ... 

Why didn't they? 

That's what we are discussion - why did they remain so wretched for so long?

The South American Indians - also occupying a continent, had vastly different stages of development. I can see how these differences can be attributed, to some extent to their ecological place. In the jungle you can't cultivate corn and llamas.

Australia also has a wide variety of ecologies, yet the Aborigines remained equally wretched from the tropics to the desert, from Tasmania to Victoria and all the way up and around the coast. 40 thousand years without any discernible change or improvement or developoment.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 12:39pm

Wretched? Well. in your opinion perhaps, Frank.

Not in  mine. Not in many people's.

Perhaps you could spend some time thinking about why other people don't consider them to have been wretched? See if you can learn something new?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #57 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 2:20pm

Frank wrote on Nov 25th, 2017 at 12:02pm:
Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel  gets plenty wrong.

Really?  Name what he gets wrong, Soren?   I'm interested to see if you have read and understood his work.

Even if he gets detail wrong, the general thrust of his argument rings true to me.  White people were circumstantially lucky - there is no difference in Genetics or anything else between them and an Indigenous Australian, except circumstance.  Yes, they built on that circumstance but that is all, it was just luck that gave them the means to dominate the world.  Roll Eyes

Quote:
It is only ONE view, Bwian, and by no means accepted and uncontrovertible.  Niall Ferguson's The West and the Rest offers a different view.  There are others besides.

It is one view that is becoming dominate in Anthropology and Ethnography, Soren.   Older views are being discarded.

Quote:
Individual agency is important. Social organisation is important. People's relationships to each other is important As is their religion/conception of the world. People organise their societies in the image of their 'gods' (ie what is important in their conception of the world). These are not matters of 'circumstantial luck'.

Circumstance, nothing more.  There is no reason to believe a New Guinea highlander could not have developed the same social organisation, the same technology, as white people if the circumstances had been similar.  To suggest so, shows your inherent racism, your believe in "racial" superiority/inferiority.  Tsk, tsk.  Old thinking, outmoded thinking.   Roll Eyes

Quote:
But let's say it's all luck - what does the lucky OWE to the unlucky??  If it's all blind fortune then why go against fortune?  Is luck given on merit? It's can't be, it's just luck - so why does the lucky have to give to the unlucky anything??  Explain this on entirely 'circumstantial luck' grounds, and do not bring in my kind of argument, which you poo-poo, about social organisation, morality and relationships.

Luck is just luck, Soren.  The lucky owes nothing to the unlucky, nor does the unlucky owe anything to the lucky.  Common decency, OTOH, would suggest that the lucky should not take undue advantage of the unlucky, ascribe to themselves anything other than luck and circumstance to their success.  There is nothing Genetic, there is nothing other than luck and circumstance.   No inherent superiority, no inherent inferiority.   A white person plunked down in the middle of the Australian desert would need luck and circumstance to survive.  An Indigenous Australian, plunked down in London would need luck and circumstance to survive.   Neither is born with the inherent ability, beyond their own inventiveness to survive.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 2:23pm

It has the ring of truth for Bwian...case closed.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 10:26am

Whitey has shared his 'circumstantial luck' with Aborigines, Africans, the who world. Yet Africa and the Aboriginese are still living by their own 'culture in squalor and brutality.

The ones who have given away their old culture are thriving.. So 'lucky has nuffin to do wiv it, Bwian.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print