Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Indulging in wistful reading/listening (Read 651 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Indulging in wistful reading/listening
Nov 18th, 2017 at 1:51pm

Why is it I am attracted to the letters & diaries & biographies of people and times that submerge me in melancholy:

James Lees-Milne (What England Owes): the organisational genius behind the preservation of country houses by the National Trust in the UK

Monica Rawlins: renowned artist, diarist & goose-breeder (Writing the Century)

Nancy Mitford/Evelyn Waugh: Letters

Harold Nicholson/Vita Sackville-West: Letters

& many others of the same era.

It's very strange. I enjoy reading it all but then it leaves me the opposite of uplifted.
Peoples' lives are more interesting than anything else, however they are so often full of unhappiness, doubt, regret, with the occasional periods of achievement and fulfilment.

It's not that you set out to be disheartened. The life stories of artistic people just have the habit of taking you there.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Indulging in wistful reading/listening
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 3:21pm

Well said.

Reading how some of Europe's most famous composers and painters saw out their last years as deaf, mute, utterly impoverished, and without any palliative care to reduce their pains, is sad to contemplate.

Schindler of 'Schindler's List' is one who ended up living in poverty.

Mozart
Rembrandt
Liszt

... and the rest of them all lived miserable lives during their last years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print