Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
Richest 1% own half the world's wealth (Read 3034 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Richest 1% own half the world's wealth
Reply #30 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:24pm

Ajax wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:18pm:
Gordon wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:15pm:
The headline figure sounds bad, but how much of that measured wealth is in companies and investments that employ people etc, and I doubt that wealth will be locked up forever. The 3rd generation will squander it Smiley

Also, despite this wealth disparity, our standard of living gets better and better.

Which planet are you living on....???

Have your earnings kept pace with the cost of living...???

Yes. I find the cost of living, particularly food incredibly cheap.

IBI

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:28pm

mothra wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:21pm:
A little wake up call to Gordy:

Top Five Facts About Poverty in Australia

1. Child poverty is rising in Australia. Almost 30 years ago, then-Prime Minister Bob Hawke promised that “No child would live in poverty by 1990.” Unfortunately, that promise has not been fulfilled. According to the Australian Council of Social Service (ACOSS), more than 730,000 children are living in poverty, which is about one in six children in Australia. Child poverty in Australia has also increased by two percent in the last decade.

2. One in four Australians who apply for homelessness services are indigenous. Indigenous people make up only three percent of the overall population in Australia, so race and diversity are a factor in someone’s earnings.

3. The people most likely to be part of the lowest 20 percent income group are the elderly, single parents and indigenous people.

4. One person in the top 20 percent has 70 times more income than someone in the bottom 20 percent. There is huge economic inequality in Australia, and the gap continues to widen in both wealth and opportunities. This inequality is also a global issue since the world’s top one percent own more than the bottom three billion people in the world.

5. Young people aged 15-24 are the most likely to be unemployed. A January 2016 report studying Australia’s poverty suggested that the youth unemployment rate was more than twice the overall unemployment rate.

https://borgenproject.org/poverty-in-australia/

Proof that the welfare state is a disaster

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:29pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:24pm:
The headline figure sounds bad, but how much of that measured wealth is in companies and investments that employ people etc, and I doubt that wealth will be locked up forever. The 3rd generation will squander it Smiley

Also, despite this wealth disparity, our standard of living gets better and better.

True ,   cost of power could be a problem for some But fresh vegis  chicken, meat is not over the top   Smiley

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:29pm

And yet elderly folk in this very country die from the heat and the cold because they can't afford to run A/C or heating.

In October 2016, ACOSS released a new report revealing that poverty is growing in Australia, with an estimated 2.9 million people or 13.3% of all people living below the internationally accepted poverty line.

The report provides the most up to date picture of poverty in the nation drawing on new data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Income and Expenditure surveys for 2013-14 and previous years. It found that 731,300 or 17.4% of all children were living in poverty in Australia.

http://www.acoss.org.au/poverty/

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:32pm

mothra wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:29pm:

And yet elderly folk in this very country die from the heat and the cold because they can't afford to run A/C or heating.

In October 2016, ACOSS released a new report revealing that poverty is growing in Australia, with an estimated 2.9 million people or 13.3% of all people living below the internationally accepted poverty line.

The report provides the most up to date picture of poverty in the nation drawing on new data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics Income and Expenditure surveys for 2013-14 and previous years. It found that 731,300 or 17.4% of all children were living in poverty in Australia.

http://www.acoss.org.au/poverty/

Lefties closing coal power stations result in old people dying of cold. Not good

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #35 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:34pm

You mean your wage salary has kept pace with

Energy power,
Rates
Insurance
Health
Education etc etc

OR are you falling a bit behind every year...?

For a country full of cows and sheep, red meat should be dirt cheap.

Compared to some countries our food is expensive.

Just for the record Gordy mine hasn't, every year I seem to go backwards.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:44pm by Ajax »  

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:37pm

Ajax wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:34pm:

Energy power,
Rates
Insurance
Health
Education etc etc

I'll be selling my beef to those new billion middle class Chinese dragged out of poverty by capitalism. So better stock your freezer now while its cheap

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #37 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:41pm

aquascoot wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:37pm:

Energy power,
Rates
Insurance
Health
Education etc etc

I'll be selling my beef to those new billion middle class Chinese dragged out of poverty by capitalism. So better stock your freezer now while its cheap

I suppose Mal will have to beg you guys for more affordable red meat, like he begged LNG from the corporates.

Nothing wrong with enterprise as long as the local market and its needs are attended to.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:48pm

Ajax wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:41pm:
aquascoot wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:37pm:

Energy power,
Rates
Insurance
Health
Education etc etc

I suppose Mal will have to beg you guys for more affordable red meat, like he begged LNG from the corporates.

Nothing wrong with enterprise as long as the local market and its needs are attended to.

9 dollars a litre for milk insingapore. And 5 for a little tub of yoghurt. I suppose gas is the birth right of all citizens and shouldn't be sold off.
But dairy and beef.
We farmers make those and we will sell them wherever we like,
Fat Steve prefers pizza and coca cola anyways

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:48pm

Paul Keating over-achieved and stole the PM from Bob Hawke.
Bob Hawke just shrugged his shoulders and shagged Anita.

So you live in a World where 1% has half the 'wealth', let alone 'power'.
In a world so 'physically' over-populated (the 99%?)
And ruled by the 'mentally superior' (1%?)
...little wonder these such nations are nothing more than 'idiots'. We call them 'super-powers', but they are the dumbest most detrimental nations on the planet and no wonder the planet is being 'ruined'.

This is an example of a 'over-populated' nation with a very small minority of 'brain-cells' in power.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:57pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 12:49pm:
cods wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 12:23pm:
depends on what you think makes you wealthy..

if its material things...well I feel sorry for you..
if its having load of money in the Bank... well I feel sorry for you.

if its a means of buying friends... well I feel sorry for you..

I often wonder what studies like this achieve! any idea mothra???

Cods with respect, this response makes you sound like you are living in a bubble, almost as if you have no idea how important "material things" actually are. We are not talking about who gets prada shoes, and who doesn't. Distribution of wealth matters when it comes to access to the most basic requirements for our very survival - like food and water and shelter. If you are still wondering what these studies "achieve" - its to point out yet again that while millions and millions of people are forced to languish without access to the most basic of resources - it most definitely isn't because there isn't enough resources to go around.

oh I see... can I ask gandi   what are you do in particular to change this.. how much of your weekly income do you spend to help others?...

you see it isnt the RICH mans fault a huge number of people cannot access the basics..

btw   what resources  do we lack enough of  to go around?????...

fresh air rain sun fish in the sea beautiful soil to grow things.....all god given as far as I can make out.......

if you mean   ipads and  smartphones..and BMWs  and private plane...yep  guess what I must be poor then because I dont have those either..

however I do have a great family  I am so proud and pleased with all my grandkids..I have a home and a car and I am still independent.. nope health wise I could always do with better...but when I see what other have to live with  my probs are miniscule.....guess what gandi.. everything I have is what we worked for.no hand outs no gifts...no cheating the taxman...

am I lucky  I think so......am I RICH   you betcha! Smiley Smiley

my dad had a saying

if all the money was distributed around the world today... so everyone was equal   

it would be just as unbalanced and unequal  by tomorrow..

it is the human way...and it depends on what you call riches.....

what I see and read about poverty is its mostly because of corrupt leaders....

I see people begging in this country   and give to the ones   that are not sitting there on a phone drinking cans of coke and smoking.....

I obviously see life through a different prism  to yourself....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:58pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:48pm:
Paul Keating over-achieved and stole the PM from Bob Hawke.
Bob Hawke just shrugged his shoulders and shagged Anita.

So you live in a World where 1% has half the 'wealth', let alone 'power'.
In a world so 'physically' over-populated (the 99%?)
And ruled by the 'mentally superior' (1%?)
...little wonder these such nations are nothing more than 'idiots'. We call them 'super-powers', but they are the dumbest most detrimental nations on the planet and no wonder the planet is being 'ruined'.

This is an example of a 'over-populated' nation with a very small minority of 'brain-cells' in power.

not another picture of gweg.. Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:00pm

bwood1946 wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:29pm:

True ,   cost of power could be a problem for some But fresh vegis  chicken, meat is not over the top   Smiley

years ago everyone grew their own veggies thought nothing of it kept chooks... swapped with the neighbours......what happened????>.

wealth maybe... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:02pm

cods wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:00pm:

years ago everyone grew their own veggies thought nothing of it kept chooks... swapped with the neighbours......what happened????>.

wealth maybe... Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You mean back when people could afford to buy their own home with actual land attached?

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:04pm

cods wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:00pm:

Homo still gets goat meat from his neighbour, so he's doing alright I suppose.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print