Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Charges Laid Over Work For The Dole Death (Read 1381 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Charges Laid Over Work For The Dole Death
Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:17am

Charges over death of Toowoomba work-for-dole teen Joshua Park-Fing
The Courier-Mail
November 15, 2017

THE Royal Agricultural Society of Queensland, a Work for the Dole project co-ordinator and a recruitment company have been charged with alleged breaches causing the death of Toowoomba teenager Joshua Park-Fing.   Sad

The three parties face a combined maximum penalty of more than $3.5 million in fines.

Mr Park-Fing was 18 years old when he fell from a flat-bed tractor trailer, struck his head and died at the Toowoomba Showgrounds in April 2016 while participating in the “Work for the Dole” program.

The Royal Agricultural Society of Queensland, NEATO Employment Services Pty Ltd and Work for the Dole project co-ordinator, Adrian Strachan, have been charged with alleged breaches of the Work Health Safety Act 2011.

The RASQ is facing a maximum fine of $1.5 million for each of the two charges they have been hit with — failing to implement adequate systems to prevent workers riding on the trailer, including ensuring workers were adequately supervised and not better maintaining the tractor in accordance with its duty to provide plant without risks to health and safety.

It will be alleged by Workplace Health and Safety that recruitment agency NEATO Employment Services failed to comply with its primary duty of care to ensure the safety of the Work for the Dole participants while they are at work in the host employer’s business or undertaking.

It is also alleged NEATO did not provide adequate supervision when WFD supervisors were absent from their respective workplaces. It faces a maximum fine of $500,000.

Work for the Dole project co-ordinator Adrian Strachan faces a maximum fine of $50,000 for failing to comply with his duty as a worker.

It is alleged he did not follow NEATO’s policies or take reasonable steps to ensure they were followed by workers.

The return of the summonses will be on December 22, 2017 in the Toowoomba Magistrates Court.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Charges Laid Over Work For The Dole Death
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:19am

they took their time

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:29am

We need a RC

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:47am

Sydney Morning Herald
April 25 2016

Work for the Dole programs are putting workers' safety at risk, says the AUWU

The national Work for the Dole program is facing criticism for failing to protect the safety of volunteer workers and not helping many find work suited to their skills.   

Australian Unemployed Workers' Union president Owen Bennett is urging the abolition of the Work for the Dole scheme and has launched a petition on Change.Org raising safety concerns.

The campaign follows the death last week of 18-year-old Josh Park-Fing, who fell from a trailer towed by a tractor while he was on the Work for the Dole program in Toowoomba.   Sad

Mr Bennett said his organisation has received a number of reports of cases where the safety of workers in the program has been threatened. He said workers with chronic injuries had been forced to engage in strenuous work to avoid losing their Centrelink benefits.

Mick Smart, 30, of Newcastle, who fell down a retaining wall and injured his back while working on a Work for the Dole program.   Sad

Mick Smart, 30, of Newcastle, said he was expected to dig holes and push heavy wheelbarrows in February as a volunteer for a charity group, despite having problems with his back. He was assigned compulsory Work for the Dole after being for unemployed three years.

"I fell down a retaining wall and twisted my back pushing a wheelbarrow," he said.

"I've been told I have no access to WorkCover because technically I was not working: I was a Centrelink volunteer."

Mr Bennett said the government had failed to ensure adequate safety measures for people taking part in the Work for the Dole program.

"It is clear that the Coalition government can no longer guarantee the safety of workers at Work for the Dole sites."   Sad

He alleges unemployed workers have been threatened with the loss of unemployment benefits if they raise concerns about the safety of their Work for the Dole site.

"Work for the Dole is dangerous," he said. "It is a billion-dollar forced-labour program which does not help people into work. It must be abolished immediately."

ACTU president Ged Kearney said Mr Park-Fing's death should be fully investigated.

"The death of any worker, on any type of work site, is a tragedy and completely unacceptable," she said.

"As with any incident of this nature, a full investigation into the death of Mr Park-Fing is necessary. And given widespread concerns with the Work for the Dole, it must be done in context of the whole program, which the ACTU believes is deeply flawed on many levels."

A former employment services officer told Fairfax Media he had been pressured to place a woman with a back injury into a voluntary aged-care job under the Work for The Dole scheme.

"I experienced significant pressure to place a client of mine, who was clearly suited to certain industries around education who also had physical limitations, into aged-care voluntary roles," he said.

The former officer said the woman would have been better suited to a role as a volunteer in an education program for Indigenous people.

"It was about filling placements and meeting targets and not what was best for the individual to rebuild their career," he said.

He said a number of refugees were placed in cleaning jobs regardless of their qualification level.

A Work for the Dole supervisor in the NSW Hunter region told Fairfax Media that job providers were often inflexible and "like robots" in dealing with people with mental health and other social problems, including homelessness.

"The providers get a pool of money from the government and they don't seem to extend themselves to these people," the supervisor said.

"It is all about filling quotas."   Angry

Australian Greens spokeswoman on community services Senator Rachel Siewert also raised concerns.

"It does bring into question whether the Work for the Dole measure is providing adequate occupational health and safety for those forced to participate," she said. 

A spokeswoman for Employment Minister Michaelia Cash said Mr Park-Fing's death was "a tragic event that should not happen in any Australian workplace".

"The government extends is deepest sympathies to the family and colleagues of the young man.

"The matter is currently being investigated by the relevant authorities and the government will take whatever action is necessary to ensure that appropriate standards are maintained."

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:07am

whiteknight wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:17am:
The Courier-Mail
November 15, 2017

THE Royal Agricultural Society of Queensland, a Work for the Dole project co-ordinator and a recruitment company have been charged with alleged breaches causing the death of Toowoomba teenager Joshua Park-Fing.   Sad

What is the bet the deceased was doing something stupid?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:20am

GetUp! for ever with the gloom and doom forgettable BlackDay. WELFARE for ALL for EVER is the GetUp! destroy Australia cry!!!!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:26am

hatman92 wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:07am:
The Courier-Mail
November 15, 2017

Yes - he was participating in "Exploitation For The Dole".

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:32am

Worksafe will take the view that the person was not trained or not supervised adequately.

To cover yourself as an employer you need a good safety management system in place.

You need policies (and enforced) that cover bad behaviour on the job, and you need to disclose what the penalties will be for not following procedures and policies i.e. you get the sack for mucking about.

The work for the dole company I saw in Katherine was a sitting duck for having no safety management,
Here in WA we have a very basic safety management in place, but my section is being fixed up every week.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:38am

This is the usual response from an uniformed manager.

Good businesses know that doing safety right is better for the bottom line.

Just my observation, but businesses and people that get safety right usually get quality right as well.
If you follow safety procedures you probably also follow correct quality procedures

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 12:51pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:38am:

This is the usual response from an uniformed manager.

Good businesses know that doing safety right is better for the bottom line.

Your response is that from a person whop treats all workers as inbeciles and are not capable of looking after themselves.

You will have to explain to me why worksafe does not sue employers whose workers get injured in traffic accidents when coming to and from work.

Why the government is not sued constantly for not providing a safe workplace when employees are injured in traffic accidents.

The reason is OHS laws as they stand are retarded and administered by white collar workers who have no idea of the world of reality.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:08pm

hatman92 wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:07am:
The Courier-Mail
November 15, 2017

That's exactly what rules and proper supervision are supposed to prevent - riding on a flat bed trailer is wrong to start with.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:13pm

time for a royal commission.

IP Logged

Dr Mengele

Australian Politics

The Fourth Reich
Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:48pm

1 less dole bludger, seems like a win to me.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:28pm

Dr Mengele wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:48pm:
1 less dole bludger, seems like a win to me.

And at least half black...... win-win for you...

Ein Schwarzer....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

hatman92

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 7:39pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:08pm:

That's exactly what rules and proper supervision are supposed to prevent - riding on a flat bed trailer is wrong to start with.
[/quote]

Why is it wrong?

People used to ride in carts all the time.  Heaven forbid there was not even any written procedures back in those days.

I remember one job I had, the safety paperwork was so retarded we just signed off on it and did nothing. I often wonder if it takes a special type of idiot to come up with these rules, or just the standard idiot.

Probably the sort of person who when confronted by a robber will produce a copy of the relevant law showing the robber he cannot rob him.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print