Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ahh Charity always did begin at home (Read 312 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

ahh Charity always did begin at home
Nov 17th, 2017 at 5:14am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/brain-surgeon-charlie-teo-launches-new...

REBEL neurosurgeon Charlie Teo has quit the brain cancer charity he founded after “spitting the dummy” over the amount of donations soaked up by administration costs.

Professor Teo is setting up a new low-cost charity which aims to slash the proportion of donations spent on administration, marketing, advertising and staff from 65 per cent to 10 or 15 per cent.

The globally renowned surgeon said yesterday he wanted to shake up Australia’s $100 billion charity ­industry to ensure that most of the donated monies were spent directly on research and patient care

Prof Teo, 60, established the Cure Brain Cancer Foundation in 2003 but fell out with the leadership over the size of its overheads and eight weeks ago began preparations to launch a rival.

“Expenses were running at 65 per cent which was unacceptable and I gave them an ultimatum to improve it,” he said.

“But it did not improve and I spat the dummy and said I would walk unless they brought them (expenses) down) — the board let me go but it was my decision to go.”

Cure Brain Cancer Foundation chief executive Michelle Stewart said its costs were “in-line with similar charities and are carefully budgeted at 15 per cent to ­deliver maximum impact”.

CHARITIES FACE PROSECUTION FOR DODGY SPRUIKING TACTICS

“These costs allow us to operate the organisation and provide good governance to ensure more money goes towards increasing brain cancer survival,” she said.

“We do much more than just raise money and fund ­research. We invest in research strategy, advocacy and awareness which has sparked a national movement to give tens of thousands of people a strong voice.

“This advocacy and awareness was a driving force ­behind a new landmark $100 million national brain cancer plan ... to rapidly increase brain cancer survival.

“Over the last five years, we have invested more than $13 million into world-class ­research as part of our ­research strategy.”

Cure Brain Cancer Foundation chief executive Michelle Stewart.
The foundation said Prof Teo and it were “taking different strategic directions in the ongoing search for a cure for brain cancer”.

Prof Teo’s new charity, The Charlie Teo Foundation, has applied for charitable status in preparation for a formal launch in March next year.

It aims to raise $100 million a year to boost the fight against brain cancer which “kills more children than any other disease”.

Major corporates, including health supplements company Blackmores and Jaycar Electronics, have signed on as supporters and Prof Teo said 26 chief executives from the private sector would provide expertise on a voluntary basis.

The new foundation has been offered the use of premises at Rosebery free of charge by Industrie Clothing.

jazus 65% admin costs....seriously????

good on you Prof Teo...

utter disgrace.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ahh Charity always did begin at home
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:03am

This why Indont give to most charities.

They are full of bloodsucking admin parasites.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:58am

When my aunty was dying of cancer of multiple organs, in hospital before being transferred to where you don't leave vertically (hospice), she was visited by at least 3 charities (that I know of), asking her to leave some/all of her estate to the charity.
I appreciate that they are charities, and need donations, but I thought it was in very bad taste. They were stalking a dying woman.

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 9:13am

Gnads wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 7:03am:

They provide employment, and help for those who need it.

35% is better than 0%

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 3:29pm

Totally agree

Charity has become a huge profit business.

Come to think of it, charity has always been a high profit business.
Look at the Catholic church.

If you are serious in helping people, give your time not your money.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 3:34pm

Valkie wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 3:29pm:

Totally agree

Charity has become a huge profit business.

Come to think of it, charity has always been a high profit business.
Look at the Catholic church.

If you are serious in helping people, give your time not your money.

So, you're anti-business now?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print