Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Heat Flux in Antarctica - Not AGW? (Read 2897 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Heat Flux in Antarctica - Not AGW?
Nov 16th, 2017 at 1:20pm

"Antarctica is the largest reservoir of ice on Earth. Understanding its ice sheet dynamics is crucial to unraveling past global climate change and making robust climatic and sea level predictions. Of the basic parameters that shape and control ice flow, the most poorly known is geothermal heat flux. Direct observations of heat flux are difficult to obtain in Antarctica, and until now continent-wide heat flux maps have only been derived from low-resolution satellite magnetic and seismological data. We present a high resolution heat flux map and associated uncertainty derived from spectral analysis of the most advanced continental compilation of airborne magnetic data. Small-scale spatial variability and features consistent with known geology are better reproduced than in previous models, between 36% and 50%. Our high-resolution heat-flux map and its uncertainty distribution provide an important new boundary condition to be used in studies on future subglacial hydrology, ice-sheet dynamics and sea-level change."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL075609/abstract

"This is the best map yet produced of the warmth coming up from the rocks underneath the Antarctic ice sheet.

This "geothermal heat flux" is key data required by scientists in order to model how the White Continent is going to react to climate change.

If the rock bed's temperature is raised, it makes it easier for the ice above to move.

And if global warming is already forcing change on the ice sheet, a higher flux could accelerate matters.

The map was made by researchers at the British Antarctic survey and is published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

"The heat coming from the Earth’s interior is important to understand the overall conditions that control the dynamics at the base of the ice sheet and hence the ice flow,” explained Yasmina Martos, currently affiliated to the US space agency.

"If this heat flux is elevated, the ice base can melt and produce water that acts as a sliding film.

"One result of our study is that the heat flux is higher underneath West Antarctica, where more ice is currently melting, than underneath East Antarctica.

"Even a little melting at the base helps the ice sheet to slide faster. We also identified areas of low heat flux, which will help stabilising the ice sheet," she told BBC News. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41972297

Those pesky volcanoes.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:14pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Heat Flux in Antarctica - Not AGW?
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:20pm

Very good post.
Antarctica is also a major influence of all the Ocean currents in the world and the temperatures governing them.
Especially the 'deep water' currents that flow 'under the warmer ones'.
Antarctica is also two separate masses of land - that make the entire continent.
Maybe this is why there is a variation?

Been the windiest/warmest year on record down there - this year, they are saying.

...personally, I think the world is stuffed. It's beyond the tipping point and I don't think humanity has what it takes to rectify the applecart that they tipped.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:51pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:20pm:
Been the windiest/warmest year on record down there - this year, they are saying.

I haven't seen your response to the "warmest? perhaps I missed it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 5:31pm

lee wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:51pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:20pm:

I haven't seen your response to the "warmest? perhaps I missed it.

No you haven't missed it. I just haven't received a response back or they don't have one.
They are busy atm - as it is the 'transition' time between the skeleton crews leaving and the 100's coming in for the summer.
I'll ask again though.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:56am

So what is the point again?

We know about the volcanoes and geothermal activity there. Is that why you posted the map?

Oh right....  that is the point....  the one all the true believers in AGW
ignore

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 10:58am

Grendel wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:56am:
So what is the point again?

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Yes it's one of lee's many dishonest tactics. He posts articles but never actually says the point he is trying to make. (It's much easier to backflip if you never state your position  Wink )

Grendel wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:56am:
We know about the volcanoes and geothermal activity there. Is that why you posted the map?

Oh right....  that is the point....  the one all the true believers in AGW  ignore

You mean the volcanoes and geothermal activity that has been there for millions of years?
I fail to see the relevance so I'll wait for lee to state his position on it..............................................................................
....................(crickets chirping)

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 12:20pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 10:58am:
Yes it's one of lee's many dishonest tactics. He posts articles but never actually says the point he is trying to make. (It's much easier to backflip if you never state your position  Wink )

So yell us where it is wrong. Wink

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 10:58am:
You mean the volcanoes and geothermal activity that has been there for millions of years?
I fail to see the relevance so I'll wait for lee to state his position on it..............................................................................

....................(crickets chirping)

Aren't you one of those who tell us it's the accumulating CO2 that is the problem?

Did you ever stop to think heat accumulates? Even in your house heat accumulates. It doesn't just suddenly get to a temperature.

Likes peer reviewed paper like the Garudian. Can't handle the real thing.

Nice try. But can improve. Wink

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:53am

meh....  it's not wrong.
Just more IGNORANCE AND DENIAL from the CLIMATE CHICKEN LITTLES.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:22pm

lee wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 12:20pm:

Grendel wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:53am:
meh....  it's not wrong.

I never said it was wrong.
I said it was irrelevant

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:11pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:22pm:
I said it was irrelevant

Only because it doesn't agree with your perceptions.

Of course you could show where I was wrong. Wink

or perhaps your point is you don't understand the articles.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:17pm by lee »  

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:32pm

lee wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:11pm:
I said it was irrelevant

Only because it doesn't agree with your perceptions.

My perceptions?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
I'm not going to bother pointing out where you are wrong because I have this preconception that you will just waste my time again.
You are smart enough to know that most of what you post is deliberately designed to deceive so I am not going to be able to change that.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 4:21pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:32pm:
I'm not going to bother pointing out where you are wrong because I

don't know what you are talking about. Smiley

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:32pm:
You are smart enough to know that most of what you post is deliberately designed to deceive

I post peer reviewed articles. Any deception is your own.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm

lee wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 12:20pm:

meh....  it's not wrong.

I never said it was wrong.
Hooray honesty at last.

I said it was irrelevant
Only to you and your fellow deniers.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 4:41pm

lee wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 1:20pm:
"Antarctica is the largest reservoir of ice on Earth. Understanding its ice sheet dynamics is crucial to unraveling past global climate change and making robust climatic and sea level predictions. Of the basic parameters that shape and control ice flow, the most poorly known is geothermal heat flux. Direct observations of heat flux are difficult to obtain in Antarctica, and until now continent-wide heat flux maps have only been derived from low-resolution satellite magnetic and seismological data. We present a high resolution heat flux map and associated uncertainty derived from spectral analysis of the most advanced continental compilation of airborne magnetic data. Small-scale spatial variability and features consistent with known geology are better reproduced than in previous models, between 36% and 50%. Our high-resolution heat-flux map and its uncertainty distribution provide an important new boundary condition to be used in studies on future subglacial hydrology, ice-sheet dynamics and sea-level change."

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL075609/abstract

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/2B73/production/_98732111_1.jpg

"This is the best map yet produced of the warmth coming up from the rocks underneath the Antarctic ice sheet.

This "geothermal heat flux" is key data required by scientists in order to model how the White Continent is going to react to climate change.

If the rock bed's temperature is raised, it makes it easier for the ice above to move.

And if global warming is already forcing change on the ice sheet, a higher flux could accelerate matters.

The map was made by researchers at the British Antarctic survey and is published in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

"The heat coming from the Earth’s interior is important to understand the overall conditions that control the dynamics at the base of the ice sheet and hence the ice flow,” explained Yasmina Martos, currently affiliated to the US space agency.

"If this heat flux is elevated, the ice base can melt and produce water that acts as a sliding film.

"One result of our study is that the heat flux is higher underneath West Antarctica, where more ice is currently melting, than underneath East Antarctica.

"Even a little melting at the base helps the ice sheet to slide faster. We also identified areas of low heat flux, which will help stabilising the ice sheet," she told BBC News. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41972297

Those pesky volcanoes.

Another nail in the AGW coffin, we'll bury this hoax one day.

................... Cool

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:50am

meh....  it's not wrong.
Just more IGNORANCE AND DENIAL from the CLIMATE CHICKEN LITTLES.

This black duck ain't ignorant and she ain't in denial either  Tongue

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print