Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Conservatives fear new experiences (Read 3329 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Conservatives fear new experiences
Reply #105 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:31am

Journalist Christopher Allen in the Australian Review today looks at conservative-liberal divisions in the art world. I thought it quite elequent, and it parallels other aspects of society.

“The word controversial is part of a standard glossary of approval in the art world, related to a more general assumption that art should upset conventions, break bounderies and disturb the complacency of its audience. But as the people disturbed and upset are already implicitly defined as conservative, the general result of this kind of discourse is to increase the complacency and self-satisfaction of insiders.”

The insiders are, of course, the liberals of the Permissive Society whose complacency is shored up with their sense of moral superiority.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:52am

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:15pm:
Major social reformers like Martin Luther King and even Nelson Mandela embodied the spirit of conservatism.

Grin Grin Grin

"Those who change society are the conservatives, ten rupee gimme!!"   Cheesy  Good one, Kameel.

"Those who cut down trees are the embodiments of true ecological conservationists. The promiscuous are the true spirits of family values. War is peace. Slavery is freedom'

You 'progressives' ('are we there yet?) are completely unmoored from clear and consistent thought.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #107 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:54am

Brave New Worlders seeking experience fear conservatives....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:58am

What absolute nonsense and over-generalisation, peccary - I expect better from you.

Most people are somewhere between the two, not fixed as the Pole Star in some mythical firmament of some mythical sky....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:02am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:58am:
What absolute nonsense and over-generalisation, peccary - I expect better from you.

i don't think Greg was involved in the study.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re:
Reply #110 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:15am

Quote:

It was his comment...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:16am

So now there's a 'study' that proves 'conservatives fear new experiences'?

What ARE we wasting taxpayer's money on when we should be turning out a better and more moral class of doctor etc?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #112 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:18am

It's a fraud...  rubbish, political claptrap dressed up a scientific opinion, by a guy who is a political radical with a degree. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dumb as the other leftist retard claims about intelligence etc that Mothballs (I think) brought up and supported previously.

Where do the Prog left get all this crap from?
the bigger question, why do they post it and how can any sane person believe it?

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Re:
Reply #113 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:35pm

Quote:

In the spirit of healing and togetherness, I believe the proper response to such conservative denial is:
you must first admit you have a problem, before you'll get better.

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #114 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:41pm

I suppose YOU believe the moon is made of green cheese then eh?

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #115 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Good plan, Doctor Watson!
The guilty will have no chance of following your logic!

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 3:05pm

thecuriousmail wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:35pm:
In the spirit of healing and togetherness, I believe the proper response to such conservative denial is:
you must first admit you have a problem, before you'll get better.

First you must prove there is "conservative denial".

The referenced paper are so full of weasel words like "could", "maybe", "perhaps" that you could drive a truck through the "logical" conclusions. Wink

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 6:12pm

The idiocies of Gandalf, Karnal, Mothra, Bwian and the rest have 'become virtually standard in the various branches (feminist, black, gay, and so on) of academic resentment studies, in which history is nothing but the backward projection of current grievances, real or imagined, used to justify and inflame resentment… The object of such historiography is to disconnect everyone from a real sense of a living past and a living culture.'
https://www.city-journal.org/html/dystopian-imagination-12204.html

They white-ant everything they touch and so must be resisted and pushed back.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #118 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 7:16pm

https://nypost.com/2016/06/09/science-says-liberal-beliefs-are-linked-to-pyschot...
Quote:
Turns out liberals are the real authoritarians.

A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that
liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism

“The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed,” the journal said in the startling correction.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #119 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 7:19pm

Quote:
The erroneous report has been cited 45 times, according to Thomson Reuters Web of Science.

Brad Verhulst, a Virginia Commonwealth University researcher and a co-author of the paper, said he was not sure who was to blame.

“I don’t know where it happened. All I know is it happened,” he told Retraction Watch, a blog that tracks corrections in academic papers. “It’s our fault for not figuring it out before.”

The journal said the error doesn’t change the main conclusions of the paper, which found that “personality traits do not cause people to develop political attitudes.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print