Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I am Amazon - destroyer of jobs (Read 4734 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: I am Amazon - destroyer of jobs
Reply #30 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 2:47pm

The seven companies Amazon may buy up next - according to Citigroup analysts:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-22/these-are-7-companies-amazon-may-purcha...

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Nov 25th, 2017 at 11:26am

Bezos, the Amazon billionaire (and owner of the Washington Post) became the 2nd man since Bill Gates in 1999 to reach the 12 figure fortune of $100 billion.

How many industries will you buy today Jeff and how many jobs will you scrap?
How much will you give away like Bill Gates?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 2:48am

they are going to gut tonnes of jobs here, it's going to be pretty bad. the 'dead mall' phenom in the u.s will manifest here in some form.

amazon's stock price is stratospheric, absolutely overvalued. come a next correction they are going to be brought down to earth quite a bit.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #33 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 1:06pm

Apparently the full AU launch is Dec 1.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:42am

I'm just listening to Gerry Harvey on the radio.

He's going off his nut!    Grin

He doesn't understand how Amazon will be able to deliver the goods (literally).

The guy is such a dinosaur.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 11:52am

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:42am:
I'm just listening to Gerry Harvey on the radio.

He's going off his nut!    Grin

He doesn't understand how Amazon will be able to deliver the goods (literally).

The guy is such a dinosaur.

Try selling your goods through old harvey like you can with Amazon. That arrogant prick wouldn't even look at you Sad

Silly old bugger Cheesy

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:28pm by Sir lastnail »  

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 1:56pm

Rusty old Nail. The sell-out to globalism.
The worshipper of the Behemoths like Bezos who will rape your country of its children's jobs

Shame Rusty Shame.

You've sold your soul for a few lousy bucks.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 1:47pm

Less Retail Jobs, More Amazon Robots: Get Used To It

When it comes to job creation in the United States, President Trump will be displeased to hear the latest findings from Quartz: 170,000 fewer retail jobs in 2017 - and 75,000 more Amazon robots.

In November, we explained that while everyone likes to point the finger at Amazon, America’s retail apocalypse can’t be tied to just one catalyst (see: A Look At America’s Retail Apocalypse In Charts), however, fierce competition in the industry has induced an army of robots at Amazon’s fulfillment centers, which has certainly led to the termination of retail employees across the industry.

At the end of 2016, Amazon was the eighth-largest private employer in the United States with a headcount growing by 40% year-over-year. So basically, as Amazon’s robots helped to disrupt the overall retail industry, the excess of cheap retail labor is now  flocking to Amazon.

We must point out the majority of positions being added are jobs not careers inundated in wage stagnation.

The article notes, Amazon’s growth has to come at some cost, because there is no free-lunch here..

Does Amazon create more jobs than it destroys?

The analysis below from Quartz’s staff provides the shocking realization that retail job-loss in 2017 is the first annual decline since 2009. Even though Amazon is hiring at a fast clip, it won’t be enough to cover the losses in the rest of the industry. All the while, amazon added 55,000 robots this year as the trend in robot additions is now parabolic…

Assuming the current industry trends continue through the end of the year, the number of employees in Amazon-related retail (that is, retail that Amazon competes with, such as book stores, as opposed to areas it doesn’t compete with, like gas stations) will decline by about 1% year-over-year. While that’s a small percentage, the number of job losses would be 170,000. That would be the first annual decline since 2009.

Amazon’s employment increases won’t be enough to cover the losses in the rest of the industry. We have assumed Amazon will maintain its current year-over-year headcount growth rate and will add 146,000 employees worldwide in 2017, a 43% increase (excluding Whole Foods employees). Even with that aggressive growth assumption, and including Amazon employees worldwide, the combined employment at Amazon and Amazon-related retail would still decline by 24,000.

Amazon has already added 55,000 robots this year and its growth rate is accelerating. The company stated it had 45,000 robots at the end of 2016, added 35,000 robots by the end of the first half of 2017, and then another 20,000 in the third quarter. We’ve assumed another 20,000 in the fourth quarter for a total of 75,000 new robots in 2017. While it may be difficult to prove causality, it’s not difficult to see the correlation between a decline of 24,000 human employees and an increase of 75,000 robot employees.

:see zerohedge for entire article + charts

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #38 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 3:55pm

Long live Amazon.
Aussies should learn how to become business efficient as Americans.
First we'll teach you Business and than how to progress from British colony to independent sovereign country.
Good luck Aussies.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:16am

We don't want Rockefellers or Carnegie's thanks. We don't want Zuckerfrigginbergs or Bezos either.
We don't need an uberclass and a mass poverty class.
We are happy with a society which for the most part is a fairly level field, at least we try to make it that way without inhibiting ambition and enterprise.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 7:39am

What Amazon will be doing is returning middle aged wives back to their homes from the workplace like in the 50's when the Little Woman made a home for her husband to come back to at the end of his workday.

The situation now is that husbands work and so do their wives for no necessary reason other than buying a new car or taking a Pacific cruise at the end of the year. Sheer greed ~ not necessity.

At least half the women workers I see in retail are there for superficial reasons and not to pay off a mortgage.

Once a mortgage on your home is paid off, from then on your wife is occupying a job that is then denied a young wife who needs to supplement her husband's wages to pay off years of mortgage debt.

FAR more tragic than Amazon causing the redundancy of middle aged wives earning money for that trip to Bali or upgrading the family car are the thousands of post-mortgage-debt women who occupy jobs in retail to the effect that thousands of young wives with babies are not able to help their husbands meet the mortgage payments.

I personally would completely change the rules for employment availability so that it is rationalised and rationed out to those most in need of a wage to enable them to service a mortgage debt.

Over the years I worked in factories all over Sydney in which scores of hairy ethnic women in their 50's were helping their husbands purchase their fourth or fifth investment property ... with meanwhile young 'marrieds' were struggling on the dole for lack of job vacancies.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:45am

I wonder if Mr Trump thinks this is healthy for America's economy, never mind the rest of the world:

The Amazon juggernaut continues to crush brick and mortar retailers.

On Thursday morning, former retail giant Macy's, announced that was preparing to fire 5,000 job cuts, including closure of seven previously unidentified stores and other cuts at remaining locations, as it seeks stability in a tumultuous climate for "physical retail." The retailer's cost reductions come as it announced that its comparable holiday sales rose a modest 1.1% for the Nov/Dec period relative to 2016.

Although the company described its holiday sales as "solid," the performance trailed fellow department-store chain J.C. Penney, which posted a 3.4% increase Thursday. Macy's also narrowed its FY 2018 (ending Jan. 2018) year comp. sales view to a decline of 2.4%-2.7% on owned basis, down 2%-2.3% on owned plus licensed basis and total sales down 3.6%-3.9%. This was in line with the latest forecast given in November, which called for sales down 2.2%-3.3% on owned basis, down 2%-3% on owned plus licensed basis and total sales down 3.2%-4.3%.

And while Macy's continues to struggle with margin compression and inventory (mis)management, clearly the far bigger problem is the secular decline for the company (thank you Amazon) with Macy's today announcing it was closing 11 stores in FY19 (year ending Jan. 2019), vs the 4 announced previously, part and parcel with the 5,000 laoffs, as well as the company's intentions to "further streamline some non-store functions."

Macy's disclosed the following seven locations for shuttering which it had previously not identified for closure:

•Miami (Downtown), Miami
•The Oaks, Gainesville, Fla.
•Novato (Furniture), Novato, Calif.
•Honey Creek Mall, Terre Haute, Ind.
•Birchwood Mall, Fort Gratiot Township, Mich.
•Fountain Place, Cincinnati
•Burlington Town Center, Burlington, Vt.

The retailer also said Thursday it is moving ahead with four other store closures previously announced:
•Laguna Hills Mall, Laguna Hills, Calif.
•Westside Pavilion, Los Angeles
•Stonestown Galleria, San Francisco
•Magic Valley Mall, Twin Falls, Idaho

Putting the closures in context, they are are part of a plan announced in August 2016 to shutter 100 stores. Altogether, the company has now revealed 81 of the 100 locations.  Macy's sees closing an additional 19 stores as leases or operating covenants expire or sale transactions are completed. Including the stores announced today, M has closed 124 stores since 2015.

Macy's ongoing woes are good news for bargain hunters: the company said that liquidation sales are likely to begin Jan. 8 and continue for eight to 12 weeks.

"Looking ahead to 2018, we are focused on continuous improvement and will take the necessary steps to move faster, execute more effectively and allocate resources to invest in growth," Macy's CEO Jeff Gennette said in a statement.

Macy's has been struggling with its massive real estate footprint and traditional retail model, as Amazon.com soars and physical competitors such as treasure-hunt retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshall's offer (better and cheaper) alternatives. Despite the challenges, Macy's reported strong performances for active apparel, beauty products, shoes, dresses, coats, fine jewelry and some other items.

Ironically, the company also said its digital sales jumped by double digits. The problem is that when compared with Amazon's own same store sales - all digital of course - it is too little, too late.

But what is most troubling for Macy's, is the stock's reaction to today's news: whereas in the past, M would jump on any mass layoff and/or closure news, this time it enjoyed a brief kneejerk moment in the green, before tumbling.
:zerohedge

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print