Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I am Amazon - destroyer of jobs (Read 4732 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: I am Amazon - destroyer of jobs
Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:20pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 1:36pm:
I would rather 'work out' digging a trench or carrying plasterboards - than paying a gym to make me do similar for no constructive purpose.

Sensible.

Lately, I've been giving serious thought to a career change.

One that involves some physical work, and a lot less sitting.

I did it when I was younger, and loved it.

And no I don't leave tips in the glass bowls at Cafe's and Restaurants.

Good.

Neither do I.

They're covered by a Modern Award and the NES, so there's no need for tipping.

This isn't America.

I always ask people who tip at restaurants if they tip their garbage collector, or nurse (when they're in hospital), or workers in their local newsagent, bottle shop, fashion outlet, electrical store, or book shop.

Why just cafes and restaurants?

It pissed me off greatly when the two female Chinese waiters in my favourite Chinese restaurant suddenly put a bowl on the checkout counter, labelled 'TIPS'. It was a very rude and ignorant thing to do, did they but know it. It sat next to the donation boxes for crippled children and guide dogs.

Months went by and not even a single 5 cent coin was ever seen to be sitting in this bowl, and that alone should have shamed them into removing it, but they never did.

Multicultural 'enrichment' didn't gain any traction with their customers ~ not a single one.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:20pm:
I would rather 'work out' digging a trench or carrying plasterboards - than paying a gym to make me do similar for no constructive purpose.

Sensible.

I did it when I was younger, and loved it.

And no I don't leave tips in the glass bowls at Cafe's and Restaurants.

Good.

Neither do I.

They're covered by a Modern Award and the NES, so there's no need for tipping.

This isn't America.

I always ask people who tip at restaurants if they tip their garbage collector, or nurse (when they're in hospital), or workers in their local newsagent, bottle shop, fashion outlet, electrical store, or book shop.

Why just cafes and restaurants?

It pissed me off greatly when the two female Chinese waiters in my favourite Chinese restaurant suddenly put a bowl on the checkout counter, labelled 'TIPS'. It was a very rude and ignorant thing to do, did they but know it. It sat next to the donation boxes for crippled children and guide dogs.

Months went by and not even a single 5 cent coin was ever seen to be sitting in this bowl, and that alone should have shamed them to remove it, but they never did.

Multiculturalism 'enrichment' didn't gain any traction with their customers ~ not a single one.

A coffee shop near my office is run by young, white Australians, and they have a 'Tips' jar.

I suppose it makes them feel like they're in Europe.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:34pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:24pm:
A coffee shop near my office is run by young, white Australians, and they have a 'Tips' jar.

I suppose it makes them feel like they're in Europe.

A cup of coffee is expensive enough without you being asked to pay a surcharge in the form of a tip.

I would drop a funnel-web spider in the Tips box.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:40pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:46pm:
John Smith wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:43pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:40pm:
John Smith wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 2:36pm:

get into appliance repair .... farken rip off merchants make a fortune. My local mob charges $100 call out fee just to show up, tells me I need a part and he'll need to come back, then charges me $100 call out when he comes back .... and this is without the cost of the parts or any labour yet

They even did it to me once when I told them I needed the drain hose replaced cause it had a hole and was leaking ... fkkwit came out, told me a need a new drain hose, then proceeded to charge me for the second call out .... unbelievable

Yep.

Those guys will screw you faster than you can say 'Fisher & Paykel'.

Angry

never buy fisher and paykel

whist they're usually a good machine, they have to much electronics that isn't necessary, so often break down

I asked several appliance repair guys what brand they get called out the least for, and the answer was always Westinghouse .... although I think Westinghouse sold off or moved to the china recently so not sure if that's still the case

Fisher and Paykel were their most common call out.

It's funny you should say that, becasue I've been told the exact opposite.

Strange   Undecided

My last F&P lasted quite a few years, and the current one is doing fine.

I hope you didn't jinx me.

to avoid bias, I've asked about half a dozen repair guys .... I use them all the time in the properties I manage.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:43pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 17th, 2017 at 4:20pm:
Months went by and not even a single 5 cent coin was ever seen to be sitting in this bowl

they're Chinese ... they wouldn't leave any tip in there any longer than it would take the person tipping to walk out the door  ... you might pinch it otherwise

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #20 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 6:51pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 5:44am:
Amazon in the US is almost ready to launch its "just walk out" concept in a chain of small grocery stores.
This eliminates the need for check out staff completely.
In time the concept will be expanded to large supermarkets.
There are over 3 million checkout employees in the US.

:Bloomberg or zero hedge.

What's your problem. Is it capitalism or not.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Nov 17th, 2017 at 8:51pm

Amazon in the US is almost ready to launch its "just walk out" concept in a chain of small grocery stores.

Reminds me of the basket weavers.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:32am

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:59am

And now I am Amazon-opoly . . .

Jeff Bezos spends a lot of time directing the newspaper he owns, The Washington Post, to criticize President Donald Trump in every way imaginable. But for some reason, the federal government cannot stop giving Amazon — the retail empire Bezos also owns — a slew of taxpayer-subsidized subsidies. Now, Congress is considering a new federal purchasing plan that could result in Amazon’s most lucrative government handout yet.

The technology giant is no stranger to sweetheart deals that line its pockets at taxpayer expense. The U.S. Postal Service, for instance — which has lost $60 billion since 2007 — handles last-mile shipping for two-thirds of Amazon’s deliveries. This means overtime for workers and a good incoming revenue number on the USPS’s balance sheet, but it’s a financial bonanza for Amazon.

According to media reports, USPS delivers Amazon packages for $2 per package — even though it costs USPS $3.46 per package to make these deliveries. And that’s before you get into the $200 million three years ago for 270,000 handheld scanners to process the packages or the $5 billion or more to replace USPS vehicles with ones better suited to carry Amazon’s packages.

But even this cozy arrangement pales in comparison to the deal Amazon is now trying to push through Congress.
Buried deep in this year’s defense spending bill is a provision that would move Defense Department purchases of commercial off-the-shelf products to online marketplaces.

A summary of the proposal, which was inserted into the legislation by House Armed Services Committee Chairman Mac Thornberry, argues it is needed to save money over the burdensome and expensive current system.

It pointed to a report from the Inspector General of the Government Services Administration that found some IT equipment could be purchased more cheaply on the open market than through the GSA’s “schedules.”

In response, the plan calls for developing an online marketplace platform through which federal agencies can buy products such as paper clips, bottled water, computers, office furniture and more — just as any business would do.

But it also calls for this platform to be designed to “enable government-wide use of such marketplaces.” This means the government is looking only for a procurement and supply management firm big enough to offer multiple suppliers for the same product with constantly changing selection and prices and serve the entire U.S. government.

That leaves just one likely possibility  - Amazon Business - for basically monopoly control of $53 billion in federal purchasing, much of the supplies for which comes from no-bid contracts.

Amazon provides a platform for e-companies to sell through to their own customers. It receives 15 percent to 20 percent of the proceeds from such sales, which means a huge revenue stream for Amazon for doing basically nothing while vendors are forced to cough up as much as half their margin.

A government deal with Amazon sets up opportunities for abuse, not to mention control over suppliers. Amazon would get to collect an enormous amount of data on agencies, which could be used to identify top competitors and drive them out of the federal marketplace with increased fees or other rules changes.

And it means any discounts that can be negotiated for the bulk rates of purchasing the federal government does would flow not to the government and taxpayers — but instead into Amazon’s pocket.

Amazon Business, which only started in 2015, already has 1 million customers and $1 billion in sales, and its revenues grew 34 percent in the last year. Adding federal procurement would effectively drive out all competitors for its business service.

It already is moving into position to do this at the local level. In January, Amazon signed a contract with U.S. Communities, a coalition of 90,000 local governments, to provide them with an online marketplace for office supplies and other goods.

The fate of the proposal is unknown. It is in the House version of the defense spending bill but not that of the Senate. This will be resolved in a conference committee, and one solution is to try it as a pilot project before committing the entire government to it.

There certainly ought to be a breathing period before yet another government agency signs yet another deal to use tax dollars to further enrich one of the richest men on the planet.

It’s beginning to get suspicious.
:ZeroHedge

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:44am

And the mega-opoly is putting its big footprint into Australia. What it does in the US will surely follow wherever it has a presence:

"... in a report published overnight, Morgan Stanley analysts predicted that the sector [healthcare], and several specific names, are most in danger of being targets of Amazon's unstoppable monopoly juggernaut, soon to be scheduled for Bezosian eradication.
As MS explains, it has identified "attractive subsectors and profit pools that Amazon could drain to fund disruption." MS assumes a 5% hit to prices when Amazon enters a sector, estimate the EPS impact on healthcare companies, and look at what the stocks are pricing in after the recent sell-off.

Healthcare distribution, encompassing medical, dental and drug distributors, drug retailers, and pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), has the best fit with the Amazon playbook. Amazon’s expertise in logistics and B2B positions it to distribute commoditized products (supplies) to consumers/purchasers (e.g., hospitals, dental offices) potentially to be bundled with Amazon Web Services (AWS). They already target Medical Supplies distribution within Amazon Business, posing approximately 20% of earnings risk from more competitive price dynamics for select stocks.

Three strategic reasons for Amazon to enter retail pharmacy, using Whole Foods as a launch pad: to (1) drive Prime subscriptions via 55+ pharmacy customers, (2) improve returns on its Whole Foods investment, and (3) expand Prime Now. With the highest profits and lowest barriers to entry, retail plays to AMZN strengths. Price transparency and lower copays could reduce profits by ~10%, and lead companies to rethink strategies to stay competitive, as we have already begun to see with the rumored CVS/AET deal. While some investors believe Amazon will partner with or acquire a PBM, we are skeptical given such move would limit market opportunity.

The chart below shows the helthcare segments most at risk of "disruption", or market share loss to Amazon market, versus the gross profit opportunity for Amazon.

:ZeroHedge

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:01pm

Aww, what's the matter, Goebbels? I thought you lovvvvved capitalism. By the way, hippie, Wal-Mart is about to initiate the same thing. 

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #26 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:21pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 18th, 2017 at 9:32am:

Looking at this Robot photo, I notice that there is one thing about the generation that grew up on Power Rangers and Transformers that is really old fashioned. Its this fixation with humanoid configurations. It harks back a far as the 1920s. The Robots that are going to phuque you over, you won't even see.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:31pm

Marla wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:01pm:

Aww, what's the matter, Goebbels? I thought you lovvvvved capitalism. By the way, hippie, Wal-Mart is about to initiate the same thing. 

You need to make your mind up whether Boge is a Nazi or a Hippie. That is unless you have invented a personal interpretation of both, that nobody else cares about.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 3:24pm

Marla wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:01pm:

The capitalism I want is competition between a wide range of corporations, not monopoly power.
Just as I want sovereignty & power to reside in nation states, not globalised institutions like the EU.
I want governments to exercise their authority to break up the power of behemoths like Amazon, for the benefit of competitive markets and the people.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #29 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 7:06pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 6:58am:
And I'm tired of the Postie expecting me to wave a greeting to him every time I happen to be in the front yard. I just give him the finger now.

What a WONDERFUL neighbour you'd make

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print