Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What will replace the trucking jobs? (Read 2980 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: What will replace the trucking jobs?
Reply #15 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:23pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:38pm:
Who was talking about the USA?   I was talking about Oz.

Good luck with infilling the rail network.

Have a look where the rails ain't. There are towns out there.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:50pm

As I suggested, "build more rails".   Tax the trucks out of the long-distance business.  Simples really.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #17 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:54pm

Gnads wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:46pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:38pm:
lee wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:33pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
How far apart are the cities?

You mean East-West positioned across America or North South? You are going to need some type of grid structure. Or maybe let the railroads snake all over the country; although that wouldn't appear to be a cost effective option.

USA - 2680 miles E-W. 1582 miles N-S

At 100miles apart you would need about 26 lines E-W and 15 lines N-S.

And then truck to smaller towns not on the rail route.

Who was talking about the USA?   I was talking about Oz.   Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes

Grin Even though they have shut some rail routes the Yanks still have more than us.

We have shut down far to many regional rail lines in Australia .... courtesy of both sides of politics.

Rail pioneered this country and it should be still our major transporter of all freight ... especially dangerous goods.

I believe that the NZ system is that everything goes by rail .. and is only trucked from railheads to places without rail ... so trucking distances are short.

NZ is smaller than Oz.  However, Oz has an advantage - most of our population is in the SE corner of the continent and along the eastern sea board.  Build the rail system where the population is, not where it isn't.   Build VFTs from the capital cities, outwards to regional centres.   They don't need to be mag-lev or anything fancy, just well built and largely flat lines, capable of taking trains travelling 150-250 km/h.   If they can do that in Japan/China/Europe, why can't we?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #18 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:56pm

Gay marriage hire cars?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:58pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:50pm:
As I suggested, "build more rails".

So how far apart the rail lines that won't service the towns that are  not on a line.

How many rail lines?

" Inland Rail is a 1,700km freight rail network

Inland Rail will complete the spine of the national freight rail network, offering less than 24 hour transit time between Melbourne to Brisbane with 98% reliability."

" $9.3 billion has been committed to build it

The Australian Government has committed $9.3 billion for ARTC to develop and build Inland Rail. Additional funds will come from a partnership with the private sector."

https://inlandrail.artc.com.au/keyfacts

Just Melbourne to Brisbane.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:10pm

lee wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:58pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:50pm:
As I suggested, "build more rails".

So how far apart the rail lines that won't service the towns that are  not on a line.

As I suggested, "build more rails".  You seem to be assuming I am saying all towns should be connected by rail.   I have no idea where you got that idea from.   I believe we should have sufficient railways to relieve the roads of their need for long distance trucking.   You can keep moaning and carping if you want but all it is, is moaning and carping.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:17pm

centrelink

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:10pm:
You seem to be assuming I am saying all towns should be connected by rail.   I have no idea where you got that idea from.   I believe we should have sufficient railways to relieve the roads of their need for long distance trucking.

You mean like Perth to Port Hedland, Perth to Tom Price? Nope you mean the south east corner. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 3:02pm:
Railways?  Nah, that is too sensible for some people.    Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

And YOU, Bwian the Negligible, fancy YOURSELF the voice of 'sensible'???!!???!!!!

Cheesy Cheesy

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:47pm

What will replace the trucking jobs?

Gay-Wedding Planners?

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #25 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:37pm

lee wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:33pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:17pm:
How far apart are the cities?

You mean East-West positioned across America or North South? You are going to need some type of grid structure. Or maybe let the railroads snake all over the country; although that wouldn't appear to be a cost effective option.

USA - 2680 miles E-W. 1582 miles N-S

At 100miles apart you would need about 26 lines E-W and 15 lines N-S.

And then truck to smaller towns not on the rail route.

Dumd meets dumber. Cheaper to just put it on one truck and go. How may times you wanna handle this sh1te?

Your idea ends up with more trucks than now.....6 little trucks or one big one......duh!

This is why you drive a keyboard and not a kenworth.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:56pm

Rider wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:37pm:
Cheaper to just put it on one truck and go. How may times you wanna handle this sh1te?

That's what I was inferring. Wink

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:12pm

lee wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:56pm:
Rider wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:37pm:
Cheaper to just put it on one truck and go. How may times you wanna handle this sh1te?

That's what I was inferring. Wink

Thank goodness. Thought you'd gone all loopy.

Nothing wrong with rail, bulk commodities to end user/ports....but Australia abandoned it decades ago, example being Victorian grain trains, max speed 30kmh on days over 30 degees....lol....ever been in the Mallee during December....

Anything else that is even remotely time sensitive is on the road, safely piloted by some of the best blokes and birds you'll ever meet.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:14pm

I have been a heavy haulage pilot in  the past. Still licensed.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:17pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 2:57pm:
Silicon Valley startups, technologists, and venture capitalists see great potential in the technology - even more than most traditional trucking companies are supporting.

For months, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has put out teasers that the electric carmaker will soon reveal an electric semi-truck with autonomous capabilities. That announcement may take place this week, on November 16.

Embark, a Silicon Valley start-up, is scheduled to release details next week on its self-driving technology for trucking. The automated system has tested in partnership with truck-leasing company Ryder and Electrolux, an appliance manufacturer. Trial runs are exploring the potential of transporting trailers to Electrolux’s California warehouses with autonomous trucks.

CB Insight, which tracks venture capital, reports that companies will place about $1 billion in commercial truck autonomous systems this year, 10 times the level of spending three years ago.

The $700 billion trucking industry continues to be an integral part of the U.S. economy, and that of other economic giants and developing countries around the world. With more manufacturing happening overseas in places like China, trucking is part of making sure everything from automobiles to packaged food products make it to warehouses and end users on time.

Trucking companies and giants who invest heavily in logistics—like Amazon and Walmart—see great potential in cutting costs and speeding up delivery times. That will come via cutting labor costs when truck drivers no longer become necessary, and by extending the hours that commercial trucks can be kept in operation.

Companies also believe that traffic accidents will be reduced when autonomous vehicles become widely adopted for passenger and cargo transport.

Insurance premiums are expected to go down, along with collision repair costs. Autonomous driving is expected to be much safer than what’s delivered by human drivers.

Waymo and other tech companies and automakers currently testing out self-driving cars are preparing to play a part in developing cities around the world. Government officials, employers, and residents in these cities hope that self-driving cars will eventually reduce the number of cars on the streets and make them safer with less car crashes.

Self-driving cars face tougher challenges navigating through crowded, chaotic city streets—and face even tougher regulatory hurdles to cross. Cargo trucks spend most of their time traveling down broad, open highways with much less traffic.

There’s also the practicality of several trucks “platooning” together on highways that simplifying the equation over companies like Waymo dealing with crowded cities and higher risk for collisions.

Volvo Trucks sees great potential in utilizing platooning systems for cost savings and achieving more efficiency in freight hauling. One autonomous truck can lead a platoon with two or more trucks following close behind, taking advantage of the aerodynamic efficiency.

The company successfully demonstrated on-highway truck platooning in California during March 2017. An alliance was set up for the trial run with Partners for Advanced Transportation Technology (PATH) at the University of California, Berkeley, to test three Volvo VNL 670 model tractors hauling cargo containers at the Los Angeles Port complex and along Interstate 110.

Volvo sees opportunities in achieving fuel savings, improving highway safety, and increasing the capacity of transportation systems.
:zerohedge

You should have invested in technology instead of flipping houses. Ever tried to get venture capital in Australia ? Silly risk averse house hoarding aussies wouldn't know what risk was Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print