Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
World Cup (Read 3241 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

World Cup
Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:00pm

Devastated that Italy failed to qualify for only the second time since the competition began .....

who's going to show those poms how to play soccer now?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: World Cup
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:04pm

What a load of bullshit!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:13pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:00pm:
Devastated that Italy failed to qualify for only the second time since the competition began .....

Whilst I want to laugh I think I will wait until Australia qualify???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:24pm

I'm glad I no longer live near Leichhardt or Griffith.
Would be very miserable.
Mind you, I've heard Leichhardt has fallen into disrepair since back then - when it was vibrant and full of love ...until the Mafia fixed it.  Roll Eyes

I don't know about the Socceroos.
Just another 'One Man' side in Cahill.
Much like the All Blacks with Jonah Lomu.
Not a wise way to run a team ...in a 'team' sport.  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 7:18am

philperth2010 wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:13pm:

Huh Huh Huh

Mmmhmm. We can't forget that the Socceroos could possibly piss their home ground advantage up against the wall.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 8:42am

I want the Aussies to lose, I want the crooked unaustralian game of soccer to fade away in Australia.

Its well on the way

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 8:52am

miketrees wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 8:42am:
I want the Aussies to lose, I want the crooked unaustralian game of soccer to fade away in Australia.

Its well on the way

WHy bother commenting?

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:15am

UnSubRocky wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 7:18am:
philperth2010 wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:13pm:

Huh Huh Huh

Mmmhmm. We can't forget that the Socceroos could possibly piss their home ground advantage up against the wall.

One would hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:02pm

Socceroos won't go far.
You can't beat 'teams' when you rely upon one good player.
Germany showed that against the Messi dominated Argentinia.
Like the Springboks/French showed against the Lomu dominated All Blacks.

And we know the Socceroos won't go far if Cahill is injured.
The Socceroos have been structured poorly.
As always, they are just a bunch of over-paid 'individuals' that get put together and have been so since the days of Kewell, Viduka, etc.

Oh, then there is that usual 'choke' they do when everyone starts to take notice of them and support them.  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 8:55pm

Well Done to Australia

3 - 1

Smiley Smiley Smiley

they played well.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:10pm

Just finished watching it.
The Socceroos were a drag.
If it was for Honduran stuff-ups (deflection, hand-ball), Australia would have found it lucky to get 1-0

Australia is so boring to watch. Can't even connect in passing most of the time, especially under pressure and as usual - always tackling too hard. Knobs!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 8:53am

Jasin wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 5:02pm:
Socceroos won't go far.
You can't beat 'teams' when you rely upon one good player.
Germany showed that against the Messi dominated Argentinia.
Like the Springboks/French showed against the Lomu dominated All Blacks.

And we know the Socceroos won't go far if Cahill is injured.
The Socceroos have been structured poorly.
As always, they are just a bunch of over-paid 'individuals' that get put together and have been so since the days of Kewell, Viduka, etc.

Oh, then there is that usual 'choke' they do when everyone starts to take notice of them and support them.  Roll Eyes

So what formation/structure would you have them play

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:08am

Australia qualify, Italy doesn't.
A strange selection process when a giant of the game can't get a start and minnows do.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:11am

Jasin wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:10pm:
The Socceroos were a drag

that's cause Honduras kept playing dirty and the game kept stopping .... that Honduran player that got the handball was on his seventh foul prior to the handball. How many before the ref gives a yellow card? And he wasn't the only culprit

Ref should have cracked down on it much harder.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:12am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:08am:
Australia qualify, Italy doesn't.
A strange selection process when a giant of the game can't get a start and minnows do.

I'm hoping a minnow takes it out altogether.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:13am

Still I remember (I think) Nigeria getting to the final 4 and possibly Bulgaria as well.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:56am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 9:13am:
Still I remember (I think) Nigeria getting to the final 4 and possibly Bulgaria as well.

Crotia did in 98, are you thinking of them? Nigeria havent gotten to the quarter finals yet

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:23am

Are you sure? I don't disbelieve you, I just have a memory of them travelling very well in one finals.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #18 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:27am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:23am:
Are you sure? I don't disbelieve you, I just have a memory of them travelling very well in one finals.

I checked on Nigeria, and you have my apologies, Bulgaria made the semis in 94, and now I'm kicking myself, cause they had Stoichkov who was a damn good player.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:36am

Yes, these teams are based on one or two star players. Croatia is another example but I can't remember the guy's name.

Stoichkov & Romario went on to be the backbone of one of the greatest ever Barcelona sides.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #20 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:40am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:36am:
Yes, these teams are based on one or two star players. Croatia is another example but I can't remember the guy's name.

Stoichkov & Romario went on to be the backbone of one of the greatest ever Barcelona sides.

Davor Sukur is the name you're thinking of.

That Barca side of the mid 90s. Drools, but they had the most influential soccer person of all coaching.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:27am

That's him. Maradonaesque he was. Was it in the world cup he did a.memorable goal celebration where he twirled about like a Cossack dancer?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:48am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
What a load of bullshit!

x2

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:07pm

If it was for Honduran stuff-ups (deflection, hand-ball), Australia would have found it lucky to get 1-0

Australia is so boring to watch. Can't even connect in passing most of the time, especially under pressure and as usual - always tackling too hard. Knobs!

Beg to differ.
Boring is often successful and I cite Germany as a prime example. But if you are an afficianado of the game it's not really boring at all. It's tactical like chess and boring gradually produces the openings to score.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:19pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:07pm:

Beg to differ.
Boring is often successful and I cite Germany as a prime example. But if you are an afficianado of the game it's not really boring at all. It's tactical like chess and boring gradually produces the openings to score.

I agree, all we really lack is a decent no 9. Apart from that our build up play is good at the moment, we're definitely not an English bash and crash side anymore.
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:29pm by Prime Minister for Canyons »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:30pm

Not, you mean.

One of the benefits of multiculturalism.
Would you believe I saw Stanley Mathews & Blackpool v Australia in the mid fifties I think.
It was an exhibition match really but it showed how pathetic we were at this game.
We have come a long way thanks to the influence of Italian/Hungarian/Yugoslav people mainly.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:33pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:30pm:
Not, you mean.

Would you believe I saw Stanley Mathews & Blackpool v Australia in the mid fifties I think.
It was an exhibition match really but it showed how pathetic we were at this game.
We have come a long way thanks to the influence of Italian/Hungarian/Yugoslav people mainly.

Yep changed it. Don't know if theres been a time since about the 1900s maybe 1910s where you could truly say England was the best team in the world. And I'm including 1966 in that.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:39pm

They were a solid team. Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Knobby Stiles, Bobby Charlton and of course Geoff Hurst.
But the master race of Franz Beckenbauer were about to change all that.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:46pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
They were a solid team. Bobby Moore, Martin Peters, Knobby Stiles, Bobby Charlton and of course Geoff Hurst.
But the master race of Franz Beckenbauer were about to change all that.

From what I've read they weren't a bad side, but they were helped by the home ground advntage and some refing calls.

But frequently the best side doesnt win the WC, look at Hungary in 1954 and Holland in 74 and 78

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:58pm

Soccer is boring.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #30 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:48pm

I never find Germany 'boring' to watch - they are a very well drilled 'team'. It's like watching a well oiled machine at work.
Only once they seemed 'boring' - when they lost to Brazil at the Rio Olympics. It was they were purposely hanging back, reluctant to score against Brazil. Brazil wasn't doing anything fantastic - but it really was as if Germany let them win.
I guess after the huge Brazillian egos were crushed in their 7-1 loss to Germany in the World Cup. They sacrificed a win to give Brazil some sense of esteem in an Olympics where they copped a lot of flack.

I honestly think Germany 'threw' that match away for Brazil. I mean, imagine if they flogged them again 7-something.

Australia and South America are very much alike when it comes to sport: physically violent, sledging, scandals, huge egos and basically poor sportsmanship.
Africa & Oceania at least give the Southern Hemisphere some credit.

Australia's need for 'structure' is simple - make it a team, not a bunch of individuals, personalities and 'stars'. Every player should be equal to one another. Wayne Bennet of the NRL is a super-coach for this very reason. He pulls into line every player to be of equal standing. When he took over the Dragons - poor Ego Gasnier left, because he was 'better' than the rest apparently.

Navy Divers never picked the worst or the 'best' Diver. They pick the 'Grey Zone' in the middle. The 'Best' Diver never gels with the others and even thinks they are above orders.
So to with Cahill, great player - but the divide between him and the others is great, too great for Australia to succeed long term.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:22pm

Ange Postecoglou quits as Socceroos coach ahead of World Cup

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/ange-postecoglou-quites-as-socceroos-coach...

I think Australia would have been better served if he had stayed, but it's his call. After all the crap he's put up with no one can blame him.

I just hope they find a decent coach to replace him.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:22pm:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/ange-postecoglou-quites-as-socceroos-coach...

I think Australia would have been better served if he had stayed, but it's his call. After all the crap he's put up with no one can blame him.

Sounds as though it was more the FFA rather than media types.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:32pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm:

I'd say it was both. He certainly copped a hammering within some media circles whenever Australia lost

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:53pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm:

I'd say it was both. He certainly copped a hammering within some media circles whenever Australia lost

I think probably it didnt help, but it wasnt the majro sticking point.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm

Shame he's gone. He seemed to do ok.
Can we get a better Coach?
Not for the World Cup.
It's like finding a new job around Xmas time.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 2:05pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm:
Shame he's gone. He seemed to do ok.
Can we get a better Coach?
Not for the World Cup.
It's like finding a new job around Xmas time.

There will be some Dutchman looking for a job.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 3:09pm

I hope they bring their own Zimmer frames.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #38 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:11pm

There are a lot of good coaches around but the team will need time to play the way the coach wants them to play and the coach will need time to learn about the players....The best choice would be someone who already has a connection to the team IMO???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 5:54am

That's right. There are good Aussie coaches.
Bringing in big name coaches usually only works for big clubs with star players and not always even then.

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 1:11am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:30pm:
Not, you mean.

The 1953 Matthews FA Cup Final: Blackpool vs Bolton Wanderers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print