Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
World Cup (Read 3273 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: World Cup
Reply #30 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:48pm

I never find Germany 'boring' to watch - they are a very well drilled 'team'. It's like watching a well oiled machine at work.
Only once they seemed 'boring' - when they lost to Brazil at the Rio Olympics. It was they were purposely hanging back, reluctant to score against Brazil. Brazil wasn't doing anything fantastic - but it really was as if Germany let them win.
I guess after the huge Brazillian egos were crushed in their 7-1 loss to Germany in the World Cup. They sacrificed a win to give Brazil some sense of esteem in an Olympics where they copped a lot of flack.

I honestly think Germany 'threw' that match away for Brazil. I mean, imagine if they flogged them again 7-something.

Australia and South America are very much alike when it comes to sport: physically violent, sledging, scandals, huge egos and basically poor sportsmanship.
Africa & Oceania at least give the Southern Hemisphere some credit.

Australia's need for 'structure' is simple - make it a team, not a bunch of individuals, personalities and 'stars'. Every player should be equal to one another. Wayne Bennet of the NRL is a super-coach for this very reason. He pulls into line every player to be of equal standing. When he took over the Dragons - poor Ego Gasnier left, because he was 'better' than the rest apparently.

Navy Divers never picked the worst or the 'best' Diver. They pick the 'Grey Zone' in the middle. The 'Best' Diver never gels with the others and even thinks they are above orders.
So to with Cahill, great player - but the divide between him and the others is great, too great for Australia to succeed long term.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:22pm

Ange Postecoglou quits as Socceroos coach ahead of World Cup

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/ange-postecoglou-quites-as-socceroos-coach...

I think Australia would have been better served if he had stayed, but it's his call. After all the crap he's put up with no one can blame him.

I just hope they find a decent coach to replace him.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:22pm:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/ange-postecoglou-quites-as-socceroos-coach...

I think Australia would have been better served if he had stayed, but it's his call. After all the crap he's put up with no one can blame him.

Sounds as though it was more the FFA rather than media types.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:32pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm:

I'd say it was both. He certainly copped a hammering within some media circles whenever Australia lost

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:53pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:32pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:26pm:

I'd say it was both. He certainly copped a hammering within some media circles whenever Australia lost

I think probably it didnt help, but it wasnt the majro sticking point.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm

Shame he's gone. He seemed to do ok.
Can we get a better Coach?
Not for the World Cup.
It's like finding a new job around Xmas time.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 2:05pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 1:27pm:
Shame he's gone. He seemed to do ok.
Can we get a better Coach?
Not for the World Cup.
It's like finding a new job around Xmas time.

There will be some Dutchman looking for a job.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #37 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 3:09pm

I hope they bring their own Zimmer frames.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

philperth2010

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #38 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:11pm

There are a lot of good coaches around but the team will need time to play the way the coach wants them to play and the coach will need time to learn about the players....The best choice would be someone who already has a connection to the team IMO???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 5:54am

That's right. There are good Aussie coaches.
Bringing in big name coaches usually only works for big clubs with star players and not always even then.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Cofgod
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Bolton, Great Britain
Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 1:11am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 16th, 2017 at 12:30pm:
Not, you mean.

One of the benefits of multiculturalism.
Would you believe I saw Stanley Mathews & Blackpool v Australia in the mid fifties I think.
It was an exhibition match really but it showed how pathetic we were at this game.
We have come a long way thanks to the influence of Italian/Hungarian/Yugoslav people mainly.

The 1953 Matthews FA Cup Final: Blackpool vs Bolton Wanderers

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print