Send Topic Print
Thank You (Read 1028 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Thank You
Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:30pm

Hours from the result being announced, and as a member of the gay community, I would like to say to each and every person here who voted yes.

And I think I speak for the majority of the gay community.

Thank You.

Same-sex unions were known in Ancient Greece and Rome,[2] ancient Mesopotamia,[4] in some regions of China, such as Fujian province, and at certain times in ancient European history.[5]
Same-sex marital practices and rituals were more recognized in Mesopotamia than in ancient Egypt. The Almanac of Incantations contained prayers favoring on an equal basis the love of a man for a woman and of a man for man.[6]
In the southern Chinese province of Fujian, through the Ming dynasty period, females would bind themselves in contracts to younger females in elaborate ceremonies.[7] Males also entered similar arrangements. This type of arrangement was also similar in ancient European history.[8]
An example of egalitarian male domestic partnership from the early Zhou Dynasty period of China is recorded in the story of Pan Zhang & Wang Zhongxian. While the relationship was clearly approved by the wider community, and was compared to heterosexual marriage, it did not involve a religious ceremony binding the couple.[9]
Some early Western societies integrated same-sex relationships. The practice of same-sex love in ancient Greece often took the form of pederasty, which was limited in duration and in many cases co-existed with marriage.[10] Documented cases in this region claimed these unions were temporary pederastic relationships.[11][12][13][14][15][16][17] These unions created a moral dilemma for the Greeks and were not universally accepted.[18]
At least two of the Roman Emperors were in same-sex unions; and in fact, thirteen out of the first fourteen Roman Emperors are held to have been bisexual or exclusively homosexual.[19] The first Roman emperor to have married a man was Nero, who is reported to have married two other men on different occasions. First with one of his freedman, Pythagoras, to whom Nero took the role of the bride, and later as a groom Nero married a young boy to replace his young teenage concubine whom he had killed [20] named Sporus in a very public ceremony... with all the solemnities of matrimony, and lived with him as his spouse. A friend gave the "bride" away "as required by law." The marriage was celebrated separately in both Greece and Rome in extravagant public ceremonies.[21] The Child Emperor Elagabalus referred to his chariot driver, a blond slave from Caria named Hierocles, as his husband.[22] He also married an athlete named Zoticus in a lavish public ceremony in Rome amidst the rejoicings of the citizens.[23]
In Hellenic Greece, the pederastic relationships between Greek men (erastes) and youths (eromenos) were similar to marriage in that the age of the youth was similar to the age at which women married (the mid-teens, though in some city states, as young as age seven), and the relationship could only be undertaken with the consent of the father.[citation needed] This consent, just as in the case of a daughter's marriage, was contingent on the suitor's social standing. The relationship consisted of very specific social and religious responsibilities and also had a sexual component. Unlike marriage, however, a pederastic relation was temporary and ended when the boy turned seventeen.
At the same time, many of these relationships might be more clearly understood as mentoring relationships between adult men and young boys rather than an analog of marriage. This is particularly true in the case of Sparta, where the relationship was intended to further a young boy's military training. While the relationship was generally lifelong and of profound emotional significance to the participants, it was not considered marriage by contemporary culture, and the relationship continued even after participants reached age 20 and married women, as was expected in the culture.[citation needed]
Numerous examples of same sex unions among peers, not age-structured, are found in Ancient Greek writings. Famous Greek couples in same sex relationships include Harmodius and Aristogiton, Pelopidas and Epaminondas and Alexander and Bogoas. However, in none of these same sex unions is the Greek word for "marriage" ever mentioned. The Romans appear to have been the first to perform same sex marriages.
It should be noted, however, that conubium existed only between a civis Romanus and a civis Romana (that is, between a male Roman citizen and a female Roman citizen), so that a marriage between two Roman males (or with a slave) would have no legal standing in Roman law (apart, presumably, from the arbitrary will of the emperor in the two aforementioned cases).[24]

more
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions#Classical_Europe.2C_Mid...

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Re: Thank You
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:32pm

To those who voted yes to wrecking the institution of marriage I can say you betrayed your kids kids kids kids kids!

Take your paper profits to the grave with you  Grin

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:34pm

You're speaking of John Howard's 2004 manipulation of the marriage act?

How he caused all this fighting since.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:35pm

____ wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:30pm:
Hours from the result being announced, and as a member of the gay community, I would like to say to each and every person here who voted yes.

Thank You.

You're most welcome. It's long overdue.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:35pm

To all those who voted no to SSM - I thank you.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/all-you-need-to-know-about-how-the...

WHEN WILL WE KNOW THE RESULT?

Wednesday, November 15 is D-Day. This is when the ABS will release the final figures.

The results will be announced in Canberra by David W. Kalisch at a 10am press conference, with a live feed on news.com.au.

The results will also be published on the ABS website. And not just the totals for Yes and No, either. The government statistics agency will live up to its name and do a huge data dump with responses by electorate, state and age.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:42pm

mothra wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:35pm:

Thank You.

Yeh, my mom asked me if I got my form and how- cos she's a teacher and loves giving endless instructions- I should fill it out quick smart and no doubt as neatly as possible and then return it a sap... All said with a comedically big smile and stupid opinionated grin of course whilst fully knowing I told her 4 weeks previously that I was boycotting the stupid process because democracy was no longer allowed to be heard!

F'n feminists!

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:42pm

I DONT CARE!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:44pm

so will the Gay community take NO VOTE on the chin  like the good souls you claim they are?

just askin!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #8 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:45pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:35pm:
To all those who voted no to SSM - I thank you.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/gay-marriage/all-you-need-to-know-about-how-the...

WHEN WILL WE KNOW THE RESULT?

Wednesday, November 15 is D-Day. This is when the ABS will release the final figures.

The results will be announced in Canberra by David W. Kalisch at a 10am press conference, with a live feed on news.com.au.

The results will also be published on the ABS website. And not just the totals for Yes and No, either. The government statistics agency will live up to its name and do a huge data dump with responses by electorate, state and age.

Check out the baby boomer vote: they wrecked the joint... It's called schadenfreude!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Anyone been watching Molly Meldrum on Play School?  Cheesy

Anyway Mr _________,
I wish to thank the likes of you for infecting our society with your Rednecks - you know, the ones that you use to justify your existence as a Gay person.
Yes - those little Redneck 'homophobes' and their "NO" votes - sure gave your "Yes" voters a 'patsy' to further your cause.

Face it - two wrongs don't make a Right and your efforts to play everyone off against 'your' Rednecks, just kinda sucked big time.

No I didn't vote. I screwed it into the rubbish bin where it summed up the entire use of the $122million to satisfy your inability to know your position on the team: Reserve Bench with Redneck, Yobbo & Wanker!!!

Redneck - someone who failed the exam.
Gay - someone who passed by cheating.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:06pm

BTW.

I'm a Celibate
NON-SEXUAL

Do you really want to F@#$ with me?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:09pm

You should thank those of us who voted NO, since we offered our view in a fair and reasonable way in a democratic society...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:10pm

mothra wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:35pm:

Thank You.

Why?  I see no pressing reason to change the definition of marriage.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:12pm

Watching the Gay movement slither into Australia's society,
is like watching the snake in the garden of Eden.
Wink

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 7:13pm

cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:44pm:
so will the Gay community take NO VOTE on the chin  like the good souls you claim they are?

just askin!

NO!  A NO vote will be the start of a never-ending campaign to change the whole deal... I said before that no matter which way this nonsense came out, it would be a never-ending saga from one side or the other.

Stupid idea to even start this nonsense - now gays will be vilifying straights and straights will inevitably retaliate and it will escalate until the whole deal is fifty years behind...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print