Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
One for the Islamphobes (Read 7009 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: One for the Islamphobes
Reply #30 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:27pm

Setanta wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:31pm:
I have no idea why some of you stick up for Islam, it's a toxic pox on mankind. Sure stick up for the people who are it's victims, those inculcated to it through accident of birth or threat, but why would anyone defend such a "faith" of their own free will?

(Clears throat) Allow me to explain. Australia, like much of the Western World made a radical shift away from racist policies after WW2. This was parallel to the dismantling of European colonialism. Liberation movements and other socially progressive ideals gain wide acknowledgement in the 1960s, including a cynical view of governments with nuclear weapons. The humanist perspective had a certain logic, but progressives made two mistakes. They blamed Europe for racism due to the much publicized African American slavery, while not bothering to examine inequality and ignorance in other cultures. (Including Arab African slavery) And it assumed that humanist success in the West would simply spread world wide by the weight of apparent logic. It didn't work.

Why the latest batch of humanist do-gooders stick up for Islam is because if they don't, they may have to examine their own short-sighted view of morals, cultures, history, and human nature. And if there is one thing the sanctimonious hate to do, its admit their assumptions might have been wrong.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:27pm

I once made the mistake of taking a banana onto someone else's boat. I laughed at first, but it turns out they were serious about it. Fishing is all about superstition.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #32 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:24pm:
Setanta wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:59pm:
Gordon wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 8:47pm:
I have no idea why some of you stick up for Islam, it's a toxic pox on mankind. Sure stick up for the people who are it's victims, those inculcated to it through accident of birth or threat, but why would anyone defend such a "faith" of their own free will?

As an atheist I see religions as nothing more than a collection of customs,  ideas and traditions.

On balance Islam is the worst of the lot.

Pretty much my view. Not all cultures or religions are equal. Some are downright offensive.

edit: Superstition... We were eating with chopsticks last night, my middle son is up from Canberra and his girl is Chinese, youngest's is a Nip. We were talking about how to use chopsticks correctly, I suggested just stab them in the food a stick into your mouth. I was told "no you cant do that!" I asked why? My youngest son said superstition, his wife disagreed, we then had her explain it, "it's like bad luck, you stick two incense sticks that way in front of a grave!" we were told, immediately my son and I laughed and said "so superstition!" I think she got the message.

I know about the chopstick one and I think it's more about the visuals and how it so reminds them of a grave.

That aside,  Chinese and Viets have lots of superstitions they tip-toe around.

From what I've seen, if all east Asians are like the Nips and Chinese, superstition runs in their blood, they don't even notice it, it's just a part of their being. At least it's not overtly harmful, just funny when you point it out to them.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #33 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:33pm

Setanta wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:30pm:
Gordon wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:24pm:

As an atheist I see religions as nothing more than a collection of customs,  ideas and traditions.

Pretty much my view. Not all cultures or religions are equal. Some are downright offensive.

edit: Superstition... We were eating with chopsticks last night, my middle son is up from Canberra and his girl is Chinese, youngest's is a Nip. We were talking about how to use chopsticks correctly, I suggested just stab them in the food a stick into your mouth. I was told "no you cant do that!" I asked why? My youngest son said superstition, his wife disagreed, we then had her explain it, "it's like bad luck, you stick two incense sticks that way in front of a grave!" we were told, immediately my son and I laughed and said "so superstition!" I think she got the message.

I know about the chopstick one and I think it's more about the visuals and how it so reminds them of a grave.

That aside,  Chinese and Viets have lots of superstitions they tip-toe around.

From what I've seen, if all east Asians are like the Nips and Chinese, superstition runs in their blood, they don't even notice it, it's just a part of their being. At least it's not overtly harmful.

I found the Viets to be very pragmatic about it and after a few beers they laugh at it, and silly rules never get in the way of making.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:34pm

my mum would go white if anyone spilt salt in our house it was a big No No  she would rush over grab as much as she could pick up and throw it over her left shoulder.....probably saying a quick prayer to her invisible guiding angel...
we just had to make sure we werent standing behind her inthose moments...

we never did find out. what would happen  if she didnt toss the salt

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #35 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:39pm

And feminists defend this....wtf!

images_092.jpg (16 KB | 33 )
images_092.jpg

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #36 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:40pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:27pm:

(Clears throat) Allow me to explain. Australia, like much of the Western World made a radical shift away from racist policies after WW2. This was parallel to the dismantling of European colonialism. Liberation movements and other socially progressive ideals gain wide acknowledgement in the 1960s, including a cynical view of governments with nuclear weapons. The humanist perspective had a certain logic, but progressives made two mistakes. They blamed Europe for racism due to the much publicized African American slavery, while not bothering to examine inequality and ignorance in other cultures. (Including Arab African slavery) And it assumed that humanist success in the West would simply spread world wide by the weight of apparent logic. It didn't work.

Why the latest batch of humanist do-gooders stick up for Islam is because if they don't, they may have to examine their own short-sighted view of morals, cultures, history, and human nature. And if there is one thing the sanctimonious hate to do, its admit their assumptions might have been wrong.

I'm a lefty humanist but I think the "movement" has left me behind.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #37 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:42pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 9:39pm:
And feminists defend this....wtf!

UV 1000+, what's not to support?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:11pm

it's not about defending Islam.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #39 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:32pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:11pm:

it's not about defending Islam.

What is it about then? I don't see it as something one should even try to ameliorate. It's(Islamic ideology) rightwing gone crazy on steroids.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:42pm

The Moslems will soon do to the French
what the Germans did to the Jews.

When the Moslems expend the last essence of their once Great Empire against a France who is sacrificed by the rest of Europe to 'do something about those Moslems'.

The Moslems will become like the Jews before the Germans got to them.

Jews - unarmed
Germans - genocide them
Jews - form Israel and become 'Military' orientated.
Germany - disarmed

So after the Moslems let go of their 'Military' ways against the French.
Then the Italians get taken over by the Mafia and 'genocide' the unarmed Moslems.

Yep - the Italians really cut loose on the Moslems all over the Middle-East.
But as the Moslems 'pray' for help as they are being slaughtered, in a world that has no sympathy because of their past transgressions of Terrorism and genocide of the French.
When all seems lost and as if Allah (God, Yahweh, etc) himself has forsaken them!
From out of nowhere come the Israelis - by then, a Super Power of Military might.
The Jews give the Mafia-Italians a taste of their own Medicine and 'Religion' has almost been extinguished from Europe (Germany, France, Italy)...
...with just the UK (Union Jack 'cross') still flying till the end of the 'story'.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #41 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:51pm

Awrways, Grasshopper, I shock Round Eyes I dine with when I use chop stick properly!  Show them how to pick up a pea or a grain of rice... you are welcome... it is developed skill..........

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #42 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 11:07pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:51pm:

Awrways, Grasshopper, I shock Round Eyes I dine with when I use chop stick properly!  Show them how to pick up a pea or a grain of rice... you are welcome... it is developed skill..........

I can do that, I can also pick up little bits of wasabi and place it on my sushi although I'm yet to find a way to pick up Soy Sauce. It was a discussion about the "right" way to do it.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #43 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:51am

Johnnie wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 3:44pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 3:37pm:
Valkie wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 1:14pm:
Is the doll covered in bruises under the burka?

Does it come with a supply of stones for stoning?

What about a whip for whipping?

Sorry Valkie, but there's probably some niche adult shop that might meet your particular "appetites".

Just for you Grandalf.

Wow! Love it!!

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 3:10pm

Because I interpret it differently to you maybe?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print