Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
8 yr old girl dies drag-racing (Read 5058 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: 8 yr old girl dies drag-racing
Reply #60 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:25am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:20am:
Ajax wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 5:46pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 5:39pm:
Well another Redneck act of stupidity has resulted in an 8 year old girl dying in a Drag-Racing event.

People would sell out anything, even their children - to make $$$ on entertainment value.  Roll Eyes

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/wa/2017/11/12/girl-eight-dies-drag-race-cra...

Very sad.

Dragsters and 8 year olds don't mix.

I would have thought they would have the safety capsule that F1 cars have.

Go-Karts would have been better at her age.

Yes!

Go-Karts, back yard cricket, shopping malls ...... sure.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #61 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:26am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:18am:
From that link (from Maurice Blackburn) :

So, what’s the problem with wire barriers?
“In some areas wire barriers are pretty good, but if you’re not careful where you put them they can be incredibly dangerous” says road safety expert and Australian Motorcycle Council spokesman, Guy Stanford. 

Motorcyclists, in particular, have raised concerns that wire barriers can act as a “cheese cutter” when riders fall or slide into them. But, according to Stanford, “The biggest problem is the vertical posts. Upright objects are a motorcyclists’ worst enemy. Whether it’s a tree, a telephone pole or a post in a fence, where there’s an upright, that’s where the force is concentrated and that’s what kills or seriously injures riders.”   

It’s not only motorcyclists who are put at risk where wire barriers are unsuitably installed. Their effectiveness relies on the wire remaining highly tensioned, and even minor contact with vehicles can cause the barriers to slacken. It’s expensive and time consuming to “retention” the wire, meaning many remain slack and of little use.

Wire barriers also have limited capacity to slow or absorb the energy of larger vehicles like trucks and buses when compared with, say, a concrete barrier. It’s estimated that wire barriers will often become “frangible” (break into fragments) when struck by vehicles heavier than 700kg, depending of course on the speed the vehicle is travelling.

Hmmmm.

So, both motorcycles and vehicles don't really benefit when they come into contact with wire barriers.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:30am

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers.

"After significant research by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) into Wire Rope barriers, the findings demonstrate they can significantly reduce the risk of death and serious injury in crashes.

"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #63 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:52am

Gordon wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:52am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:47am:
"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

http://www.wakingtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Smug-Look-296x300.jpeg

Where's a report to show they're suitable for racetracks?

OUCH!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:16am

Gordon wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:52am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:47am:

http://www.wakingtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Smug-Look-296x300.jpeg

Where's a report to show they're suitable for racetracks?

The accident actually happened on a drag strip.

Drag strips, in case you weren't aware, are long and straight.

Now, let's hear from the experts:

Ingal Civil Products, Product Manager Luke Gallagher says WRSB are suitable for a very broad range of road environments but are particularly suited to relatively straight roads or roads with large radius bends. "The limiting factor in their use is very tight curves which can be in the horizontal or vertical planes," he says.

"Gallagher says the systems work in a similar way other semi rigid barriers, such as guardrails. "The interaction begins with vehicle engaging the barrier and some deflection of the barrier will occur, the resistance to deflection is what contains and redirects the barrier back towards the road and away from the hazard," he explains.

"In WRSB systems, the cables do the most of the work in the redirection of the vehicle and these cables have a really high capacity to absorb significant impact energy. In a concrete barrier there is also high capacity but no deflection and this rigidity creates a very violent impact where all the impact loads are absorbed by the impacting vehicle. WRSB systems share this load and offer a much softer and lower risk impact on the vehicle occupants.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:23am

ah but gweg, you said 4 x that they were doing it as a cost cutting exercise.

fail.

Costs
Typical installation and repair costs for simple installations:
Installation Cost/metre Typical Repair Costs/metre
Concrete $150+
Steel W-beam $120+
Wire ropes $130+

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #66 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:24am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:25am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:41am:
Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:40am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
As ridiculous as little kids riding trail bikes....for which some parents have been prosecuted.

Drag racing?  Really?
Honestly who in their right mind allows this sort of thing.
It should never have been allowed and not be allowed to continue.
18+ only.

Exactly!

yes.

can't drive until 16, but drag racing ........ that's ok

Well no.....clearly it's not ok.

And the law needs to be reviewed as regards drag racing.

No amount of post mortem analysis by us HERE TODAY is going to help bring this girl back/change what happened.

But something needs to change so as to prevent further children dying like she did.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:31am

aquascoot wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:23am:

Correct.

I'll say it a 5th, if you like.

Maintaining a WRSB is very expensive.

Every time a vehicle hits the barrier, it costs many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to repair.

The posts are designed to collapse on impact, and they must be replaced every time they're hit.

Moreover, the wire rope itself stretches and also needs to be replaced, or at the very minimum retensioned, after a hit from a vehicle.

These components are expensive, and the labour isn't provided for free.

Conversely, when a vehicle hits a concrete barrier, there is usually no need for any maintenance at all (other than maybe pushing a block back into place).

Now, if there's anything else you need to know about this subject (which you quite clearly know next to nothing about), feel free to ask me.

I'm here to help.

Again, I hope this poor little girl's family finds peace soon.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:36am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:31am:

Correct.

Every time a vehicle hits the barrier, it costs many hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars to repair.

The posts are designed to collapse on impact, and they must be replaced every time they're hit.

Moreover, the wire rope itself stretches and also needs to be replaced, or at the very minimum retensioned, after a hit from a vehicle.

Conversely, when a vehicle hits a concrete barrier, there is usually no need for any maintenance at all (other than maybe pushing a block back into place).

Now, if there's anything else you need to know about this subject (which you quite clearly know next to nothing about), feel free to ask me.

I'm here to help.

so you can see a drag racing circuit taking on something like that then....sure you can..

how about getting them to change the rules about 8yr olds.....we wont even allow kids to box over here...and that would not have these risks involved in it...

a child has to be 7 before being allowed to sit in the front passenger seat of a family car...

can anyone see how bizarre this all is?..

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:47am

cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:36am:

Correct.

I'm here to help.

so you can see a drag racing circuit taking on something like that then....sure you can..

No, probably not, cods.

As I said, it's very expensive to maintain.

Every time a car runs into it, it costs hundreds (even thousands) of dollars to repair.

And, let's face it, the barriers on a drag strip get hit fairly often so they're just not going to go down that path (unless regulations are introduced after this tragic incident, perhaps).

And, on a side note, I found out where aquascoot got his figures from (see his post above).

What he failed to let everyone know is, what the next paragraph said.

Let's take a look, shall we:

"However after only one impact, maintenance costs make WRB (wire rope barrier) more expensive than concrete.

"Over the years, WRB will be many times more expensive than alternatives because it requires more maintenance".

Just another insight into how "genuine" that particular forum member is.

The fact remains: WRB is much safer, but also much more expensive to maintain.

It's such a horrible thing when small children die, and even harder to accept when it boils down to cost-cutting.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #70 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:59am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:35pm:
Bobby. wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:34pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
Bobby. wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:28pm:
The poor little kid -
she was just trying to have some fun.

Those cars only have tiny engines - how the hell did she die?

Concrete barrier (which is cheap).

They need to install wire rope barriers.

But how could she steer into it?

Maybe there was a fault in the car?

Not the point.

If they had wire-rope barriers, she'd still be alive.

What a ridiculous and absurd claim!

One that doesn't stand a chance on this forum let alone in a court of law.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:01pm

cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 11:36am:

Correct.

I'm here to help.

how about getting them to change the rules about 8yr olds.......

Some good news on that, cods.

"JUNIOR drag racing in WA has been suspended after the tragic death of eight-year-old Anita Board at the weekend, as her father claims there is no need for major changes to the sport.

"Sport and Recreation Minister Mick Murray announced the suspension for all racers aged between eight and 16 pending the results of a police investigation into the crash at Perth Motorplex on Saturday."

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #72 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:01pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:26am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:18am:
From that link (from Maurice Blackburn) :

So, what’s the problem with wire barriers?
“In some areas wire barriers are pretty good, but if you’re not careful where you put them they can be incredibly dangerous” says road safety expert and Australian Motorcycle Council spokesman, Guy Stanford. 

Motorcyclists, in particular, have raised concerns that wire barriers can act as a “cheese cutter” when riders fall or slide into them. But, according to Stanford, “The biggest problem is the vertical posts. Upright objects are a motorcyclists’ worst enemy. Whether it’s a tree, a telephone pole or a post in a fence, where there’s an upright, that’s where the force is concentrated and that’s what kills or seriously injures riders.”   

It’s not only motorcyclists who are put at risk where wire barriers are unsuitably installed. Their effectiveness relies on the wire remaining highly tensioned, and even minor contact with vehicles can cause the barriers to slacken. It’s expensive and time consuming to “retention” the wire, meaning many remain slack and of little use.

Wire barriers also have limited capacity to slow or absorb the energy of larger vehicles like trucks and buses when compared with, say, a concrete barrier. It’s estimated that wire barriers will often become “frangible” (break into fragments) when struck by vehicles heavier than 700kg, depending of course on the speed the vehicle is travelling.

Hmmmm.

So, both motorcycles and vehicles don't really benefit when they come into contact with wire barriers.

This legally researched advice however is not absurd and it's certainly not ridiculous!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:03pm

The case is clear:

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #74 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:05pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:22am:
And FINALLY......top legal advice concludes :

In contrast, the strength of concrete barriers means they’re not regularly slackened, knocked over or driven straight through by heavy vehicles. Concrete barriers are more expensive to install but the costly maintenance of wire barriers means they are more expensive over their life cycle.

But, perhaps most importantly, the smooth surface created by concrete barriers is by far the safest for motorcyclists, who tend to slide along the road surface after an accident. If the first point of impact is a smooth surface they are far less likely to be killed or seriously injured. Though, as Stanford points out, “Anything will kill you if you hit it hard enough. But having a smooth surface at least gives the rider a chance, the posts are lethal.”   

What’s the answer?

“There has to be a very careful set of criteria used to determine whether wire barriers, concrete barriers or something else is installed in a particular area.

At the moment wire barriers are the latest craze and the authorities have decided to stick them up everywhere, but a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to road safety” Stanford says.

And there you have it!

Fair/balanced .... the truth!

Here you go Cods  Smiley

Go with exclusive legal advice which has been tried and tested in court. THAT'S WHAT ULTIMATELY STANDS.

Not some cheap govt spruiking waffle.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print