Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
8 yr old girl dies drag-racing (Read 5132 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 8 yr old girl dies drag-racing
Reply #45 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:45am

cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:23am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:01am:
"Wire Rope Safety Barriers, also known as flexible barriers, are road barriers made up of four tensioned wire ropes supported by steel posts.

"They are described as flexible because they stretch and absorb the force of the crash.

"The barriers use a dual mechanism to slow down and divert excessive force away from the people inside the vehicles.

"The ropes deflect and absorb the energy and the posts collapse, slowing down and redirecting the vehicle away from the hazard with very little rebound.

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers.

"After significant research by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) into Wire Rope barriers, the findings demonstrate they can significantly reduce the risk of death and serious injury in crashes.

"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

since when did wire stretch?....

Since forever.

Wire-rope barriers are the safest option for cars (including drag cars).

Countries all over the world are switching to flexible wire-rope barriers on their freeways, as they save more lives.

Drag probably strips need to incorporate a mixture of wire-rope barriers (for cars) and portable water-filled barriers (for bikes).

Such a shame this poor little girl lost her life.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #46 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:47am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:22am:
And FINALLY......top legal advice concludes :

In contrast, the strength of concrete barriers means they’re not regularly slackened, knocked over or driven straight through by heavy vehicles. Concrete barriers are more expensive to install but the costly maintenance of wire barriers means they are more expensive over their life cycle.

But, perhaps most importantly, the smooth surface created by concrete barriers is by far the safest for motorcyclists, who tend to slide along the road surface after an accident. If the first point of impact is a smooth surface they are far less likely to be killed or seriously injured. Though, as Stanford points out, “Anything will kill you if you hit it hard enough. But having a smooth surface at least gives the rider a chance, the posts are lethal.”   

What’s the answer?

“There has to be a very careful set of criteria used to determine whether wire barriers, concrete barriers or something else is installed in a particular area.

At the moment wire barriers are the latest craze and the authorities have decided to stick them up everywhere, but a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to road safety” Stanford says.

And there you have it!

Fair/balanced .... the truth!

Here you go Cods  Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:48am

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers."

And there we have it.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #48 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:52am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:22am:
And FINALLY......top legal advice concludes :

In contrast, the strength of concrete barriers means they’re not regularly slackened, knocked over or driven straight through by heavy vehicles. Concrete barriers are more expensive to install but the costly maintenance of wire barriers means they are more expensive over their life cycle.

But, perhaps most importantly, the smooth surface created by concrete barriers is by far the safest for motorcyclists, who tend to slide along the road surface after an accident. If the first point of impact is a smooth surface they are far less likely to be killed or seriously injured. Though, as Stanford points out, “Anything will kill you if you hit it hard enough. But having a smooth surface at least gives the rider a chance, the posts are lethal.”   

What’s the answer?

“There has to be a very careful set of criteria used to determine whether wire barriers, concrete barriers or something else is installed in a particular area.

At the moment wire barriers are the latest craze and the authorities have decided to stick them up everywhere, but a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to road safety” Stanford says.

And there you have it!

Fair/balanced .... the truth!

Here you go Cods  Smiley

Go with exclusive legal advice which has been tried and tested in court. THAT'S WHAT ULTIMATELY STANDS.

Not some cheap govt spruiking waffle.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:22am

cods: you and I both know the difference between a motorbike and a drag car; it's a shame others don't.

"After significant research by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) into Wire Rope barriers, the findings demonstrate they can significantly reduce the risk of death and serious injury in crashes.

"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

It's very sad that this little girl has lost her life, and I hope her family can find some peace.

What I also find sad, is the fact that some people will use a horrific accident like this to try and push some sort of personal agenda, and play an extremely childish game of one-upmanship.

I'm sure other forum members will agree with me on that.

Anyway cods, here's some more interesting reading.

Of course, they're talking about roads here, not drag strips, but it will still give you an understanding of the superior safety aspects of wire-rope barriers.

“Our research indicates that barriers like the concrete barriers are not overly good for road safety simply because they're so rigid,” she says. “Whatever impact force occurs at a crash, most if not all of the force goes straight back into the vehicle and to therefore the occupants.”

“Armco barriers are in-between; they're semi-rigid. There's still a high risk of occupants sustaining injury when colliding with this guard rail. There's also some situations where the guard rail can actually pierce the vehicle.”

"The impact-absorbing ability of fractable wire rope barriers means they are generally regarded as the safest option."

Wire rope barriers shown to reduce serious crash incidence by up to 87%

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #50 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:25am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:41am:
Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:40am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
As ridiculous as little kids riding trail bikes....for which some parents have been prosecuted.

Drag racing?  Really?
Honestly who in their right mind allows this sort of thing.
It should never have been allowed and not be allowed to continue.
18+ only.

Exactly!

yes.

can't drive until 16, but drag racing ........ that's ok

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #51 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:28am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:25am:
As ridiculous as little kids riding trail bikes....for which some parents have been prosecuted.

Drag racing?  Really?
18+ only.

Exactly!

yes.

It's ridiculous....isn't it?

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:41am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:45am:
cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:23am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:01am:
"Wire Rope Safety Barriers, also known as flexible barriers, are road barriers made up of four tensioned wire ropes supported by steel posts.

"They are described as flexible because they stretch and absorb the force of the crash.

"The barriers use a dual mechanism to slow down and divert excessive force away from the people inside the vehicles.

"The ropes deflect and absorb the energy and the posts collapse, slowing down and redirecting the vehicle away from the hazard with very little rebound.

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers.

since when did wire stretch?....

Since forever.

Wire-rope barriers are the safest option for cars (including drag cars).

Countries all over the world are switching to flexible wire-rope barriers on their freeways, as they save more lives.

Drag probably strips need to incorporate a mixture of wire-rope barriers (for cars) and portable water-filled barriers (for bikes).

Such a shame this poor little girl lost her life.

again untrue.

wire is the CHEAPER option (a point on which you lied by saying the greedy owners were cost cutting by putting in concrete).
so please admit the lie.

for the centre dividing barrier on major highways, concrete is much more expensive but SAFER because it prevents cars crossing and causing head on collisions.(and concrete at a drag strip would prevent a car hurtling into the crowd much more then wire)

they use wire down the traffic island for one reason only. it is CHEAPER.

have you brought any concrete lately. its bloody dear.
wire is much cheaper .
tsk tsk

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:47am

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:49am

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:28am:

Drag racing?  Really?
18+ only.

Exactly!

yes.

I did not let one of my sons play rugby due to the injuries.

Drive a drag car at 8 years old ...... No way

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #55 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:52am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:47am:

http://www.wakingtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Smug-Look-296x300.jpeg

Where's a report to show they're suitable for racetracks?

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:54am

And of course, the maintenance of wire-rope systems is much more expensive than maintaining a concrete barrier.

Whilst definitely more expensive in the long run, wire-rope barriers are far safer for road users (and drag car divers, and spectators).

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:12am

aquascoot wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:41am:
for the centre dividing barrier on major highways, concrete is much more expensive but SAFER because it prevents cars crossing and causing head on collisions.(and concrete at a drag strip would prevent a car hurtling into the crowd much more then wire)

Could not be further from the truth.

"The ropes deflect and absorb the energy and the posts collapse, slowing down and redirecting the vehicle away from the hazard with very little rebound."

"In the centre of the road, they are very effective at preventing head-on crashes, i.e. when a vehicle crosses the white line in the middle of the road or the grassed median strip into oncoming cars."

https://www.towardszero.vic.gov.au/news/articles/flexible-barriers-how-they-work...

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #58 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:17am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:49am:
Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 9:28am:

Drag racing?  Really?
18+ only.

Exactly!

yes.

I did not let one of my sons play rugby due to the injuries.

Drive a drag car at 8 years old ...... No way

Exactly!

The parents of that little girl are bloody reckless if you ask me.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #59 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 10:20am

Ajax wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 5:46pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 5:39pm:
Well another Redneck act of stupidity has resulted in an 8 year old girl dying in a Drag-Racing event.

People would sell out anything, even their children - to make $$$ on entertainment value.  Roll Eyes

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/state/wa/2017/11/12/girl-eight-dies-drag-race-cra...

Very sad.

Dragsters and 8 year olds don't mix.

I would have thought they would have the safety capsule that F1 cars have.

Go-Karts would have been better at her age.

Yes!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print