Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
8 yr old girl dies drag-racing (Read 5063 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 8 yr old girl dies drag-racing
Reply #30 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:01am

"Wire Rope Safety Barriers, also known as flexible barriers, are road barriers made up of four tensioned wire ropes supported by steel posts.

"They are described as flexible because they stretch and absorb the force of the crash.

"The barriers use a dual mechanism to slow down and divert excessive force away from the people inside the vehicles.

"The ropes deflect and absorb the energy and the posts collapse, slowing down and redirecting the vehicle away from the hazard with very little rebound.

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers.

"After significant research by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) into Wire Rope barriers, the findings demonstrate they can significantly reduce the risk of death and serious injury in crashes.

"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:13am

aquascoot wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 6:02am:
yeah, gweg stuffed up on that one.

wire is the cheap alternative.

concrete is about 3 times the cost  and they use wire to cut costs

tsk tsk. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

One of Australia's exclusive law firms shares your sentiments.

https://www.mauriceblackburn.com.au/blog/2016/november/15/the-problem-with-wire-...

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:14am

"It shows that flexible barriers are superior, compared with concrete and Steel W-beam barriers."

/thread

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:15am

From that link......

Many would agree that some of the worst road trauma is as a result of head-on collisions, closely followed by accidents involving trees and telephone poles, on high speed stretches of road.

News reports and photographs of accident scenes, along with now infamous TAC commercials re-creating these events, are no doubt burned into the brain of many Australian motorists.  And perhaps it’s images like these that have underwritten the rise of wire barriers in Australia. 

Wire rope safety barriers (wire barriers), also known as flexible barriers or cable fences, are highly tensioned wire ropes, supported by steel posts. The barriers are designed to slow or stop wayward vehicles by absorbing their impact and, in doing so, reduce major off-road and head-on collisions on our roads.    

Wire barriers are quick and easy to install and are, at least in the short term, relatively cheap.

The use of wire barriers is increasingly popular in Australia as shown by a recent government announcement that a further 330km of the barriers are to be installed in Victoria alone in the coming year.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #34 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:16am

Wire rope barriers are effective but designed to stop cars, not low slung flimsy DIY drag cars.

There are design issues with just about all race tracks.

There should be 100m of run-offs with sand traps around all of the track, but obliviously that's not as spectator friendly.

IBI

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #35 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:18am

Again fom that link.....

So, what’s the problem with wire barriers?
“In some areas wire barriers are pretty good, but if you’re not careful where you put them they can be incredibly dangerous” says road safety expert and Australian Motorcycle Council spokesman, Guy Stanford. 

Motorcyclists, in particular, have raised concerns that wire barriers can act as a “cheese cutter” when riders fall or slide into them. But, according to Stanford, “The biggest problem is the vertical posts. Upright objects are a motorcyclists’ worst enemy. Whether it’s a tree, a telephone pole or a post in a fence, where there’s an upright, that’s where the force is concentrated and that’s what kills or seriously injures riders.”   

It’s not only motorcyclists who are put at risk where wire barriers are unsuitably installed. Their effectiveness relies on the wire remaining highly tensioned, and even minor contact with vehicles can cause the barriers to slacken. It’s expensive and time consuming to “retention” the wire, meaning many remain slack and of little use.

Wire barriers also have limited capacity to slow or absorb the energy of larger vehicles like trucks and buses when compared with, say, a concrete barrier. It’s estimated that wire barriers will often become “frangible” (break into fragments) when struck by vehicles heavier than 700kg, depending of course on the speed the vehicle is travelling

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:20am

still going to go with the lie that concrete is the cheap alternative gweg.

i think you said they used concrete as they were cost cutting.

i think you said this at least 4 times.

and yet here we are, with the authorities stating that wire is the cheaper alternative.

tsk tsk

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #37 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:21am

Lisa, when I rode a motorbike just the sight of those wire barriers made me slow down, so I guess they're somewhat effective.

IBI

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #38 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:22am

And FINALLY......top legal advice concludes :

In contrast, the strength of concrete barriers means they’re not regularly slackened, knocked over or driven straight through by heavy vehicles. Concrete barriers are more expensive to install but the costly maintenance of wire barriers means they are more expensive over their life cycle.

But, perhaps most importantly, the smooth surface created by concrete barriers is by far the safest for motorcyclists, who tend to slide along the road surface after an accident. If the first point of impact is a smooth surface they are far less likely to be killed or seriously injured. Though, as Stanford points out, “Anything will kill you if you hit it hard enough. But having a smooth surface at least gives the rider a chance, the posts are lethal.”   

What’s the answer?

“There has to be a very careful set of criteria used to determine whether wire barriers, concrete barriers or something else is installed in a particular area.

At the moment wire barriers are the latest craze and the authorities have decided to stick them up everywhere, but a one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t work when it comes to road safety” Stanford says.

And there you have it!

Fair/balanced .... the truth!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:23am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:01am:
"Wire Rope Safety Barriers, also known as flexible barriers, are road barriers made up of four tensioned wire ropes supported by steel posts.

"They are described as flexible because they stretch and absorb the force of the crash.

"The barriers use a dual mechanism to slow down and divert excessive force away from the people inside the vehicles.

"The ropes deflect and absorb the energy and the posts collapse, slowing down and redirecting the vehicle away from the hazard with very little rebound.

"Research has proven the wire rope safety barrier as the most forgiving system, with people more likely to survive than other available road barriers.

"After significant research by Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC) into Wire Rope barriers, the findings demonstrate they can significantly reduce the risk of death and serious injury in crashes.

since when did wire stretch?....

of course something flexible would be better than concrete    but if you are going to make it accepts able 8 yr olds to drag race

old mattresses would be better than either of those products thats for sure. Angry Angry

first of all do not give 8yr olds a powerful machine to race with.....even a horse is dangerous  for a kid at  that age....

get real.. a drag car is not a toy....

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #40 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:30am

Gordon wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:21am:
Lisa, when I rode a motorbike just the sight of those wire barriers made me slow down, so I guess they're somewhat effective.

I only drive cars.....usually 4 wheel drives.

The sight of those wire barriers scare me.

Any damage to my car would cost thousands.

Plus an almighty migraine.

The same applies to concrete barriers.

I must say....I much prefer the "look" of the wire barriers.....

Anyway.....re safety. I agree with the fair and balanced advice/conclusions by one of Australia's top law firms.

Refer above  Smiley

NB I so dislike motorcyclists. They make me feel nervous. That's why I always give THEM the benefit of the doubt when sharing the road.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:31am

cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:23am:

of course something flexible would be better than concrete    but if you are going to make it accepts able 8 yr olds to drag race

old mattresses would be better than either of those products thats for sure. Angry Angry

first of all do not give 8yr olds a powerful machine to race with.....even a horse is dangerous  for a kid at  that age....

absolutely cods.

but i do find that the kids who take a few risks and take a few knocks , develop a better skill set which in the end keeps them safer.

most of the wrecks i have seen on horses or bikes or cars are teenagers who didnt have that foundation.

they went from a cocooned and molly coddled existance to something dangerous and their skills werent honed.

i'm way safer now then i was early on because those little falls and knocks teach you the lessons that keep you safe in the long term

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:40am

aquascoot wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:31am:
cods wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:23am:

absolutely cods.

but i do find that the kids who take a few risks and take a few knocks , develop a better skill set which in the end keeps them safer.

most of the wrecks i have seen on horses or bikes or cars are teenagers who didnt have that foundation.

they went from a cocooned and molly coddled existance to something dangerous and their skills werent honed.

i'm way safer now then i was early on because those little falls and knocks teach you the lessons that keep you safe in the long term

my granddaughter had riding lessons when she was about that age   and I led her round the arena  as did all the other kids.....no one was allowed to ride alone...even those the ponies were little and not fiesty..

it stands to reason this child had turned 8 two days before this accident.. how could she have had any training to be allowed into a dangerous drag car...... do racing car drivers get into their first car and drive at full speed????... not all children are coordinated at that age....its ridiculous..

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #43 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:40am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
As ridiculous as little kids riding trail bikes....for which some parents have been prosecuted.

Drag racing?  Really?
Honestly who in their right mind allows this sort of thing.
It should never have been allowed and not be allowed to continue.
18+ only.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #44 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:41am

Grendel wrote on Nov 14th, 2017 at 8:40am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
As ridiculous as little kids riding trail bikes....for which some parents have been prosecuted.

Drag racing?  Really?
Honestly who in their right mind allows this sort of thing.
It should never have been allowed and not be allowed to continue.
18+ only.

Exactly!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print