Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Murder on the O Train (Read 558 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Murder on the O Train
Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:45am

I don't know if the new Orient Express is out yet but there is an absolute take down, scathing review in . . .National Review. It's enjoyable reading really, except if you had anything to do with the movie.

Directed by & starring Kenneth Branagh  and with Drop Depp, Dench, Pfeiffer and others it's a big production.

If the review is right it will bomb. But it's an American review and they don't get things that are not stuffed like a Christmas stocking with sex & drugs & horrendous violence. And especially they have no understanding of period settings and a pace that is other than frenetic.
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2017 at 10:24am by bogarde73 »  

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Murder on the O Train
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:26pm

Only 'Comic Superhero' movies do well anymore for anything coming out of the USA.
The fact that more than half of the movies coming out of the USA are 'remakes & sequels' because they also do better than originals - just goes to show the 'repetitive' production line of Hollywood.
The only imagination Hollywood gets now, is when it steals from Foreign movies.
This movie will not flop, but it might scratch by for a bit of a profit.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 4:50pm

Comic Superhero movies are becoming a bit formulaic.
Hollywood will kill them if not careful.
1.  By overuse.
2.  Through unimaginative, impersonal, formulaic cookie cuttting.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 6:15pm

We went to see it today.  I approached it with some misgivings, as most "all star" movies are nowhere near as good as they ought to be.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It is actually a very good movie and Branagh makes an excellent job of portraying Hercule Poirot, a task that cannot have been easy, with David Suchet being so closely associated with the part with his rather different portrayal.  Perhaps not a truly great film, but certainly a very good one.  I would venture to say it is one of the best big screen versions of an Agatha Christie story made.  It's definitely miles better than any of the Peter Ustinov Poirot movies.  I'm not sure if it's better than the David Suchet TV series, but I wouldn't hesitate in putting it up there with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print