Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Telstra To Compensate Customers For Slow NBN Speed (Read 1547 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Telstra To Compensate Customers For Slow NBN Speed
Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:54am

Telstra to compensate 42,000 customers for slow NBN speeds

ABC News
November8 2017

Telstra has offered to compensate around 42,000 customers who experienced slow National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds.
Key points:

Telstra admits it may have misled customers over NBN speeds and breached consumer laws
    Around 42,000 customers to be offered compensation
    ACCC says maximum speeds marketed by Telstra could not be achieved in "real world conditions"

The telco has admitted it may have engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct and made false or misleading representations, in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.   Sad

Over the last two years, Telstra mentioned in its NBN advertising it could provide download speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps), and maximum upload speeds of 40 Mbps.

After investigating this claim, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) concluded many customers were not receiving the high speeds they had paid for.

The corporate regulator said these maximum speeds "could not be achieved in real-world conditions", due to the limitations of customers' fibre to the node (FTTN) and fibre to the building (FTTB) internet connections.   Sad

"Our investigation revealed many of Telstra's FTTN and FTTB customers could not receive the maximum speed of their plan," said ACCC chairman Rod Sims.

"Even worse, many of these customers could not receive the maximum speed of a lower-speed plan."

The ACCC found that 56 per cent of FTTN customers (26,497 people) on the top 100/40 Mbps plan were unable to achieve those speed levels. Within that category, 9,606 customers could not even reach half of that speed.

Furthermore, 45 per cent of FTTN customers on the 50/20 Mbps plan could not benefit from that full speed.
The NBN speed lottery

The troubled rollout of the National Broadband Network is creating a digital divide in communities across Australia.   Sad

Telstra has provided a court-enforceable to the ACCC regarding the remedies it will provide affected customers.

In addition to refunds, Telstra will allow them to change their internet plans, or leave their contracts without paying a fee.
It's not just Telstra, but an industry problem

The ACCC said Telstra came forward to notify it of these issues.

"We are pleased that Telstra proactively reported this serious problem to the ACCC and has cooperated in creating a remediation plan for affected customers," Mr Sims said.

"However, we are mindful this is not just a Telstra problem; it is an industry problem where consumers are often not getting the speeds they are paying for."   Sad

The corporate watchdog said it would investigate other retail service providers selling broadband plans over the NBN, and take enforcement action "where appropriate".

It also highlighted two separate issues affecting NBN customers.

"First, and the subject of today's action, is the situation where the connection is not capable of delivering the speed that has been sold," Mr Sims said.

Telstra has provided an undertaking to the ACCC that if it advertises to potential customers a particular speed "it will, within four weeks of connecting service, check each customer's attainable speed".

Mr Sims said: "If it is below the advertised speed, Telstra will notify the customer and offer remedies."

The second issue is where the promised speeds can "technically be delivered" but the internet service provider (ISP) has not purchased enough capacity from NBN Co to provide those speeds, particularly during peak times.

To address this "under provisioning" problem, Mr Sims urged "all ISPs to advertise the typical speeds customers can expect in the busy evening period between 7:00pm and 11:00pm".

"We have changed our advertising, marketing and sales processes," said Vicki Brady, the head of Telsta's consumer and small business division.

"We now use the standard ACCC naming convention to describe our speed plans and quote the typical speeds a customer can expect, including for the period when most people tend to use the internet.d

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Telstra To Compensate Customers For Slow NBN Speed
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 11:55am

Just another nail in the LNP coffin Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:48pm

sucked into telstra .... ripping off their customers for years.

ACCC needs to move onto a few other providers as well.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 12:50pm

another bit of sensationalized trivial non news by the GetUp! advocate BlackDay. An infiltrated GetUp! spy ?

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 1:42pm

Voters who don't use NBN won't care.  Too bad there are many who do and will care.

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 6:31pm

I find it hard to believe that telstra would unilaterally decide to compensate.
When NBN was connected to our business we were without phones or faxes for more than a week.
Telstra's attitude was
Go Jump!

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2017 at 6:34pm

thecuriousmail wrote on Nov 8th, 2017 at 6:31pm:
I find it hard to believe that telstra would unilaterally decide to compensate.
When NBN was connected to our business we were without phones or faxes for more than a week.
Telstra's attitude was
Go Jump!

I'd hazard a guess that the ACCC was going to investigate and they found out about it so decided to get a jump on them and step forward for publicitys sake.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 11:57am

Now Optus

Optus is the latest telecommunications giant to offer compensation to customers who have not received National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds they were promised.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-09/optus-latest-telco-to-compensate-customers...

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:13pm

Jebus,... this country is a joke!

Roll Eyes

*** Hey,look over there: is that sonny bill williams?

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:46pm

Heavens!  BlackDay's GetUp! HATE AUSTRALIA propaganda banished to the back room!  There is HOPE yet.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:59pm

juliar wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 3:46pm:
Heavens!  BlackDay's GetUp! HATE AUSTRALIA propaganda banished to the back room!  There is HOPE yet.

Juliar is so embarrassed because she knows every single liberal voter in Australia hates that copper to the node will be their legacy for the greater part of the 21st century!

Wait,... Is that right? Is this actually the 21 st century?

Dood, where's my country's 21st century?

IP Logged

bludger

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:28pm

I've been saying it for over fifty years.
STUFF TELSTRA Angry to put it mildly.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:32pm

bludger wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:28pm:

I signed up with Optus on the very first day they started operations in Australia.

For the first 10 years, Telstra would call me every month or so offering me great deals in order to get me to sign up with them again.

I told them then what I'd tell them now: you could offer me free phone services, and I would still never sign up with you incompetent arseholes again.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 4:49am

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:32pm:
bludger wrote on Nov 9th, 2017 at 8:28pm:

I signed up with Optus on the very first day they started operations in Australia.

For the first 10 years, Telstra would call me every month or so offering me great deals in order to get me to sign up with them again.

I told them then what I'd tell them now: you could offer me free phone services, and I would still never sign up with you incompetent arseholes again.

It's the attitude!

Look at Australia.... It is Telstra writ large!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print