Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Atheists are spiritual cripples (Read 20494 times)
John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Atheists are spiritual cripples
Reply #45 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:04am

Black Orchid wrote on Feb 4th, 2018 at 2:13pm:
Spirituality is something that resonates with the soul.  An energy felt deeply within our core.  With that can come a deep sense of meaning.

It's not about religion nor is it about any deity so you can be spiritual without being religious.  It creates an individual sense of peace and purpose and a connection to the things around us.

It has nothing to do with Atheism nor Theism.

Yes. Awesome post. It comes from our "core" or our mind, a bit like love.  When it comes to these mind phenomena, rationality doesn't really apply.

In the same way, if you love someone, you can attempt to rationalise it in terms of physical appearance, similar lines of thought etc, but you never get close to defining it in rational terms, and why would you even attempt to?   

Love, spirituality, beauty, awe, wonder.  In the same way, you can attempt to define them in terms of chemical reactions, but all the "machine code" in the world cannot describe art.

Being 100% rational is useful for science and mathematics, but that's about all.  (and maybe not even for science) For the rest, being 100% human has a distinct advantage in life.
« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:12am by John_Taverner »  
72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:07am

Setanta wrote on Feb 7th, 2018 at 6:30am:
I'm sure I said more than 'everyone understands  beauty'.

Beauty is that which pleases the aesthetic senses of the mind.  (how's that?)

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #47 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:02am

John_Taverner wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:07am:

That's OK. And the feeling of "love" may be influenced by the possibility of the offspring.

I wonder if there has been any studies done about the offspring of couples who were or weren't in love.
And if there is any real difference between love and lust.

I mean, regarding the characteristics of the child. Personally, the children of parents who I could only imagine awkwardly going through the motions during sex seem to be a little different and a little less apt.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:08am by Amadd »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #48 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 7:00am

Amadd wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 3:02am:
John_Taverner wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:07am:

That's OK. And the feeling of "love" may be influenced by the possibility of the offspring.

I wonder if there has been any studies done about the offspring of couples who were or weren't in love.
And if there is any real difference between love and lust.

I mean, regarding the characteristics of the child. Personally, the children of parents who I could only imagine awkwardly going through the motions during sex seem to be a little different and a little less apt.

Human nature is one of neurosis. That does not necessarily imply a mental disorder. Sex and gender are clouded in neurosis, just look Islam. Violence is often associated with sexual repression. With offspring, somehow the life force is going to muddle through whatever is going on in the  minds of the parents. Human society tries to regulate and civilise our lives, and the degree to which it is successful in the individual is a complex set of circumstances. The best a couple can do is provide a nurturing environment while the offspring are in their formative years. That includes a mentally stimulating environment surrounded with knowledge, and identifying any interest and encouraging the child to pursue their interest.

However, as is often the case, the parents just want little clones of themselves including their foibles and misconceptions.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #49 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:13pm

Religion had it's place, it was one of mankind's earliest attempts at explaining the world around them. 

Why do the tides come in and go out?  God did it.
Why do I get sick? God is punishing me.
What are these bright flashes in the rain clouds? Angry Gods.
Why are you raping your younger male members of the Tribe? Our beliefs say we have to put our seed in them for them to have a seed to put into a woman.

etc etc

We've grown past there and understand things like microbiology, gravity, the weather and the reproductive system and the more we understand the less we need "God did it".

This is a very hard concept for many religious people to understand especially those who've been taught from a young age not to question the religious texts and belief, even in the face of a total lack of evidence, aka Faith, is the most important thing.  The harder something is to believe and yet you still believe, the greater your faith.

It is a total waste of time and energy to try to explain why one is an Atheist or simply a person who sees the natural world and doesn't see God in it to these people.

On the flip side, for those who don't think God simply did everything and understand what it has taken over the countless generations of those who came before them, what they did or didn't do, if they died or survived for the individual to be alive, that is something great in itself.

Coupled with that the knowledge that this is all there is, this one life, this one chance to make a difference and lead a good life has an element of spirituality to it.  An understanding of how lucky one is to be here, how fragile and important life is and that this is it, it's not a mere stepping stone to be conned into a selfish set of "morals" in order to get entry into heaven, morals that have been corrupted by man from the word of Jesus or even the Profit Muhammad for example over and over throughout the centuries.

It's these people who value faith over what is clearly observable in the natural world who are the roadblocks to our future.  Be their minds predisposed to believing such nonsense as all the many conspiracies out there or finding it all too easy to dismiss the dangers of climate change because it will only bring us closer to the end of days and entry into heaven. 

They claim the moral high ground but are often trampled by their high horse.

** Warning, far overreaching generalisations expressed above! **

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Feb 17th, 2018 at 10:10am

SadKangaroo wrote on Feb 14th, 2018 at 3:13pm:
Coupled with that the knowledge that this is all there is, this one life, this one chance to make a difference and lead a good life has an element of spirituality to it.  An understanding of how lucky one is to be here, how fragile and important life is and that this is it, it's not a mere stepping stone to be conned into a selfish set of "morals" in order to get entry into heaven, morals that have been corrupted by man from the word of Jesus or even the Profit Muhammad for example over and over throughout the centuries.

Some interesting points, and I agree with you. Getting the most out of life and spirituality are closely entwined.

Last year, I helped accomplish something that nobody has ever done before, and the feeling was close to what I think of as spiritual.  It was something that will benefit millions of people, and one of the proudest moments in my life. (but I'm not at liberty to discuss it)

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 11:13am

Psychotherapy or the clergy? C.G.Jung
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2021 at 1:56pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 11:15am

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2021 at 1:55pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #53 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 12:40pm

"It is safe to say that every one of them fell ill because he had lost what every living religion have given to their followers . . ."

Well, that's BS from a religious fanatic right there, and I am not talking about the existence of God. I'm talking about a spurious opinion stated as if it were fact. IMHO Jung had a esoteric-knowledge fixation. Secret juju explains all. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders should not read this as it challenges the Dreamtime Serpent belief.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Aug 23rd, 2021 at 2:08pm

issuevoter wrote on Aug 23rd, 2021 at 12:40pm:
"It is safe to say that every one of them fell ill because he had lost what every living religion have given to their followers . . ."

Well, that's BS from a religious fanatic right there, and I am not talking about the existence of God. I'm talking about a spurious opinion stated as if it were fact. IMHO Jung had a esoteric-knowledge fixation. Secret juju explains all. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders should not read this as it challenges the Dreamtime Serpent belief.

He stated the facts of his experience. It is not a longer paper, I posted one short section of it. I suggest you read a bit more of it so you don't come up with things like, "IMHO Jung had a esoteric-knowledge fixation" - that's just too glib and factually wrong.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Oct 28th, 2021 at 5:30pm

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #56 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 8:34pm

Spirituality in its physical form is nothing more than 'Fashion'.
Hence the move from the fig-leaf non-spirituality of nudity via Adam & Eve symbolism.

Take alternative Westerners who think they are spiritually superior (like Hippies) by the way they fashionably present themselves unlike someone in a Power-Suit of a Stock Exchange.
Of how Aboriginals seek spiritual empowerment via their fashions, as seen a lot these days - coming through in Sports attire.

Fashion is a spiritual expression of oneself and who that person is.
Blue is the spiritual colour of Medicine.
White is for Politics
Black is for Maths, etc, etc.

Talking in 'wisdom' words like American Indians or Aboriginals and other First Nations for something that has been lost of let go of, is not really spiritual.

Fashion is Spirituality and hence also why Gays use Fashion during their parades to express their spiritual freedom from others.

Atheism was primarily an Anti-Religious rebellion empowerment by people who were from a Scientific point of view. Atheists are Anti-Religious people who are yet to find their own identity of what to be 'Pro' about... basically, yet to state they are Science-only.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #57 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 8:41pm

I don't know.
At least athiests have taken a position

Quote:
' ...........  Atheist

One who denies the existence of God, or of a supreme intelligent being.

A godless man; one who disregards his duty to God.

One who disbelieves or denies the existence of a God, or supreme intelligent Being.  .........

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #58 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:03pm

Leader of Military = Emperor
Leader of Politics = President
Leader of Religion = God
etc

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:05pm

Jasin wrote on Nov 13th, 2021 at 9:03pm:
Leader of Military = Emperor
Leader of Politics = President
Leader of Religion = God
etc

Leader of kingdom = king