Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
I found a Hand-Gun (Read 4670 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: I found a Hand-Gun
Reply #75 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:49am

Yep Mortdooley. I need a Nanny when it comes to guns.

But hey, put a Bastard of a Sword in my hand and I'll show you how to be a cut above the rest.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #76 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:18am

Jasin wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:49am:
Yep Mortdooley. I need a Nanny when it comes to guns.

But hey, put a Bastard of a Sword in my hand and I'll show you how to be a cut above the rest.  Wink

What pattern of sword do you prefer? I bought a dragon head samurai sword, I would be a danger to myself if I handled it much.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:45am

Samurai swords are technically superior to most traditional swords. They are so strong, sharp etc. But sword fighting is more than just a one sided slash. This is where the samurai swords fall short. Unless they can get the first effective strike: hitting the opponent of breaking the opponent's sword. They are flawed in the way one must use them to follow through with a one-sided edge. You need extreme wrist manoeuvres to bring such a sword around for another swing quickly. Especially with the longer versions. Even then, doing it by wrist lessens the strength of impact.

I do prefer double-sided swords. If I miss on the first strike, I can automatically bring it back quickly to strike with the other side. No need to get wristy or twist my shoulders. It's fast and effective.

Now, if someone could make a Double-Edged sword with the quality of a Katana sword ...then we are in business!
But I doubt it will happen as most of the strength of the Samurai sword is held in the blunt side. It really is just a long strong face shaving razor.

I have favourites. I like the Cutlass styles because they would be the all-round type of sword fighting. One-sided is their only drawback. But they are, as they say, good for close quarter confrontations with minimal movement.

Foils are good and extremely fast work. But you have to be very precise in your targeting or the opponent can still persevere in his attack with a good conventional sword and brush away any foil defence, if not break it. So a slice across the throat or into the heart is really the only sure bet for a foil not receiving a retaliation. If opponent is well armoured in such places - the Foil fighter would well and truly be "Drats! Foiled again!".

So I guess my choice Sword would be the Excalibur type. But a shorter version, not the traditional 'Long Sword'. Double-Edged, good weighted pommel and length suited to close quarter combat. The Hilt and pommel must be very practical more than artistic as it really has to be suited to comfortable and efficient use.
...when Sword fighting. You fight with the aspect that the blade is just the extension of your Hilt/Pommel. In other words - you are just throwing punches and the blade is the bonus. It's like teaching a sprinter to run 120m rather than the actual 100m. This way, you teach the sprinter not to pull up early at the 98th metre, as they are want to do - in the end. Same with Sword fighting. Teach them to fight as if their blade is but 20cm long and with always a far heavier training sword.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:54am

On the news last week. A family was charged for being in possession of a lot of illegal hand-guns (buying/selling) in an area not too far from where I live.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:34pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:45am:
Samurai swords are technically superior to most traditional swords. They are so strong, sharp etc. But sword fighting is more than just a one sided slash. This is where the samurai swords fall short. Unless they can get the first effective strike: hitting the opponent of breaking the opponent's sword. They are flawed in the way one must use them to follow through with a one-sided edge. You need extreme wrist manoeuvres to bring such a sword around for another swing quickly. Especially with the longer versions. Even then, doing it by wrist lessens the strength of impact.

I do prefer double-sided swords. If I miss on the first strike, I can automatically bring it back quickly to strike with the other side. No need to get wristy or twist my shoulders. It's fast and effective.

Now, if someone could make a Double-Edged sword with the quality of a Katana sword ...then we are in business!
But I doubt it will happen as most of the strength of the Samurai sword is held in the blunt side. It really is just a long strong face shaving razor.

I have favourites. I like the Cutlass styles because they would be the all-round type of sword fighting. One-sided is their only drawback. But they are, as they say, good for close quarter confrontations with minimal movement.

Foils are good and extremely fast work. But you have to be very precise in your targeting or the opponent can still persevere in his attack with a good conventional sword and brush away any foil defence, if not break it. So a slice across the throat or into the heart is really the only sure bet for a foil not receiving a retaliation. If opponent is well armoured in such places - the Foil fighter would well and truly be "Drats! Foiled again!".

So I guess my choice Sword would be the Excalibur type. But a shorter version, not the traditional 'Long Sword'. Double-Edged, good weighted pommel and length suited to close quarter combat. The Hilt and pommel must be very practical more than artistic as it really has to be suited to comfortable and efficient use.
...when Sword fighting. You fight with the aspect that the blade is just the extension of your Hilt/Pommel. In other words - you are just throwing punches and the blade is the bonus. It's like teaching a sprinter to run 120m rather than the actual 100m. This way, you teach the sprinter not to pull up early at the 98th metre, as they are want to do - in the end. Same with Sword fighting. Teach them to fight as if their blade is but 20cm long and with always a far heavier training sword.

Take peek here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

Maybe you'll find something interesting.

Some sabre work here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19hR04Ckb8

Something to consider if using a real katana:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4SHWXQBVL4 

When using a bladed weapon, it is always wise to gauge the expertise of the opponent.

An interesting option is the old straight razor. As a concealable self-defence option, it really takes a lot of beating. That is, of course, if you don't mind staining your Nikes.

When using a razor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIEVqFB4WUo

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 5:05pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Nov 6th, 2017 at 3:18pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 5th, 2017 at 2:10pm:
That is a great idea Herb until you get busted with a handgun in your possession.

Several years gaol is very possible.

Nonsense.

I've been in Australia since 1962 with not even a parking ticket. Just the other day a highway cop told me I'm "Not in the system" while scratching his head in disbelief. He consequently let me go for riding my electric bike without it being registered.

THAT's the sort of service you get when you've been a compliant and model citizen for all of the past 55 years ..... He was practically bowing to me. I told him to smarten up his act next time and not bother me again. He drove off in a cloud of apologies.

~~~~

As for this Texas nutter, the very fact that he had been dishonourably discharged from the army should have been enough to have barred him from owning a gun.

It's not that gun-ownership is rampant in the US, but that the people who shouldn't be entitled to own a gun are not being identified and denied a weapon to take home with them.

The US population is 323 million people, and of course there are going to be incidences like this due to the sheer number of people in the population pool. The miracle is that it doesn't happen more often, and especially because Hollywood's success has for decades been dependent on sex-and-VIOLENCE being the core ingredient of its entertainment business.

dear lord... I wasn't even born then...  Grin Grin Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print