Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 51
Send Topic Print
Racism, sacred cows and political correctness (Read 110556 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Racism, sacred cows and political correctness
Reply #450 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:32am

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 11:08am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:52am:
freediver wrote on Nov 10th, 2017 at 6:12pm:
Your lies about no-one wanting to climb the rock are no less idiotic than saying people are permitted to go to a public pool but aren't allowed to swim in it.

The only idiocy here is this absurd strawman that I said no one wants to climb the rock. Honestly, where did you get that rubbish from? Of course there will be people who want to climb the rock. Just like there are people who want to climb the Opera House, or climb the trees at the Botanical Garden. But we don't say those people are "banned" from visiting just because they are not allowed to climb those things. That is your logical inconsistency.

How about the people who want to visit Uluru, but don't wish to climb it (ie the majority of visitors)? Are they also "banned" from visiting? Do the majority of people who visit Bondi have no intention or desire to sit on the sand and/or go in the surf? Your logic is not only inconsistent, its dishonest.

They are banned from Uluru Gandalf. Or they would be, if these racist, sexist aborigines had their way. Perhaps you are confused about what Uluru is. It is not a national park. It is not a general vicinity. It is a rock. I am not saying they are banned from a national park or a general vicinity. I am saying they are banned from Uluru. Being able to take photos from a distance would not change this.

You are literally saying you are not allowed to "visit" Uluru unless you can physically climb it. I shouldn't need to explain how absurd this reasoning is.

Quote:
The swimming pool analogy is spot on. It captures perfectly the idiocy of your analogy with a tree in a garden or climbing the opera house. Would you say people are allowed to come and visit your home if they were only allowed to stand out on the foot path and take photos?

You still can't address the fundamental flaw in your logic. People don't 'visit' either my house or Bondi to stand outside it and soak in the view and take photos and admire the geology. Yet most people who visit Uluru do it for precisely that reason. And it beyond absurd to claim that these people are "banned" from making that visit in the event of a climbing ban.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #451 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:06pm

mothra wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
FD's still pretending it''s about sexism and racism, is he?

Is it stubbornness or stupidity?

Sometimes a question is just a question, Mothra.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #452 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:11pm

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 11:00pm:
Would you tolerate white racists using the law to keep out non-whites, so long as a few 'honorary whites' were let in, on condition they act white and say racist things?

Don't give away the new board policy just yet, FD. Fullness of time, remember.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #453 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:17pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:06pm:
mothra wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
FD's still pretending it''s about sexism and racism, is he?

Is it stubbornness or stupidity?

Sometimes a question is just a question, Mothra.

make a note karmel mothra doesnt have a sense of humor...everything is serious.. amen!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #454 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:23pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 10:32am:
Your lies about no-one wanting to climb the rock are no less idiotic than saying people are permitted to go to a public pool but aren't allowed to swim in it.

The only idiocy here is this absurd strawman that I said no one wants to climb the rock. Honestly, where did you get that rubbish from? Of course there will be people who want to climb the rock. Just like there are people who want to climb the Opera House, or climb the trees at the Botanical Garden. But we don't say those people are "banned" from visiting just because they are not allowed to climb those things. That is your logical inconsistency.

How about the people who want to visit Uluru, but don't wish to climb it (ie the majority of visitors)? Are they also "banned" from visiting? Do the majority of people who visit Bondi have no intention or desire to sit on the sand and/or go in the surf? Your logic is not only inconsistent, its dishonest.

They are banned from Uluru Gandalf. Or they would be, if these racist, sexist aborigines had their way. Perhaps you are confused about what Uluru is. It is not a national park. It is not a general vicinity. It is a rock. I am not saying they are banned from a national park or a general vicinity. I am saying they are banned from Uluru. Being able to take photos from a distance would not change this.

You are literally saying you are not allowed to "visit" Uluru unless you can physically climb it. I shouldn't need to explain how absurd this reasoning is.

Quote:
The swimming pool analogy is spot on. It captures perfectly the idiocy of your analogy with a tree in a garden or climbing the opera house. Would you say people are allowed to come and visit your home if they were only allowed to stand out on the foot path and take photos?

You still can't address the fundamental flaw in your logic. People don't 'visit' either my house or Bondi to stand outside it and soak in the view and take photos and admire the geology. Yet most people who visit Uluru do it for precisely that reason. And it beyond absurd to claim that these people are "banned" from making that visit in the event of a climbing ban.

Until the aborigines started guilt tripping everyone, the majority did climb it Gandalf. Also, I expect the rise of the grey nomad has lead to a larger number of visitors who are not physically capable of making the climb. Niether of these are valid reasons for a ban, or for saying that people are not actually banned. Whether some people would otherwise choose voluntarily not to climb does not change whether they are banned. Likewise, being able to visit the gift shop or look from a distance has no bearing on whether they are banned. They are still banned Gandalf.

And there are plenty of private residences that people visit for the sole purpose of standing outside and looking, even though they are explicitly or implicitly banned from entering.

You are confusing Uluru with the gift shop and the surrounding desert, and it is no less absurd than confusing the right to stand on the street and look at someone's house with the right to enter. Again, whether people would like to enter is irrelevant to the fact of whether they are banned from doing so.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #455 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:47pm

freediver wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:23pm:
And there are plenty of private residences that people visit for the sole purpose of standing outside and looking, even though they are explicitly or implicitly banned from entering.

you're shooting yourself in the foot FD.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #456 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:27pm

Quote:

You are deliberately distorting the issue - go back two steps and start again with the reality of ban on climbing OUR Rock, a Spiritual experience for any who choose to do so.....

There are entirely different reasons for not climbing the Opera House and nobody goes to Bondi to look at it and not swim... well - they do - but not those who WANT to swim.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #457 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:30pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:27pm:
go back two steps and start again with the reality of ban on climbing OUR Rock

it's not 'our rock' ... it's theirs. They've been given native title over it. They own it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #458 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:40pm

freediver wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 12:23pm:

Quote:

Until the aborigines started guilt tripping everyone, the majority did climb it Gandalf. Also, I expect the rise of the grey nomad has lead to a larger number of visitors who are not physically capable of making the climb. Niether of these are valid reasons for a ban, or for saying that people are not actually banned. Whether some people would otherwise choose voluntarily not to climb does not change whether they are banned. Likewise, being able to visit the gift shop or look from a distance has no bearing on whether they are banned. They are still banned Gandalf.

You are confusing Uluru with the gift shop and the surrounding desert, and it is no less absurd than confusing the right to stand on the street and look at someone's house with the right to enter. Again, whether people would like to enter is irrelevant to the fact of whether they are banned from doing so.

FD, just stop this silly pretense of calling it a ban on 'visiting' the rock, and we can be done. Its a ban on climbing, plain and simple. You overreached saying this, along with your idiotic claims that it was discriminatory and sexist (no one was going to climb it under the proposed ban). Clearly you have a demonstrably racist agenda (exhibit A: Aborigines are zoo animals), and you resorted to exaggeration and flat out dishonesty to peddle it.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #459 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:24pm

freediver wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 11:10pm:
Banning climbing Ayers Rock/Uluru does nothing for Aboriginal reconciliation

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/opinion/banning-climbing-ayers-rockuluru-does-nothing-for-aboriginal-reconciliation/news-story/b7bd9badcc750c471f9045f50fce11ee

PLANS to close Ayers Rock to climbers from 2019 add more weight to the notion that the most divisive force in Australia is not white people, but Aboriginal activists.

Already in response, other Aboriginal advocacies are calling for more natural landmarks to be closed to non-Aborigines, such as Mt Warning in northern NSW.

Closing The Rock to climbers will likely set off a domino effect of similar exclusion orders around the country.

Locally, entry to Mossman Gorge is controlled by the Kuku Yalanji people. They say entry needed to be managed to prevent damage by visitors.

The same can’t be said for the hardy chunk of sandstone in Central Australia. Instead, it’s being closed for “cultural reasons”.

In the Daintree, the State Government is looking at increasing the role of Aboriginal culture in managing the area. This includes limiting entry to “sacred sites”.

Those proposing closures say indigenous law should trump the law of the land.

For instance, chairman of the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park board of management at Ayers Rock, Sammy Wilson, said of the native people: “Anangu have a governing system but the whitefella government has been acting in a way that breaches our laws.”

This is absurd and divisive.

If white people proposed a different set of laws for themselves, it would make international headlines and draw worldwide condemnation.

But laws that exclude whites are praised and defended.

Another example from the Daintree is that indigenous people can take dogs into the World Heritage area, light fires and shoot guns.

Good luck doing that if you’re not from the right tribal group.

In the Hinchinbrook, a big chunk of Missionary Bay is off-limits to anyone who’s not a traditional owner without a permit in order to protect “cultural resources”, without actually saying what those are.

Preserving “culture” is continually pushed by activists determined to punish modern non-Aboriginal Australians for the sins of their fathers.

In reality, Aboriginal culture while undoubtedly worthy of pride, respect and learning, has been misused by some to promote self-segregation, with “no whites” computer rooms, sporting teams, jobs and land – all while criticising non-indigenous for failing to embrace “reconciliation”.

But it’s hard to reconcile when the other party keeps telling you how terrible you are and says you can’t go to certain places.

If you don’t support partioning off Australia along racial lines decided by Aborigines, you’re culturally insensitive, ignorant, bigoted, and racist.

But whenever a defence of European, Caucasian or Christian culture is offered, there are reminders that we must all be eternally ashamed.

Natural features such as mountains, rocks, swimming holes, beaches and rivers belong to no one and should be accessed and enjoyed by all.

As explained recently by someone upset by this: “To ban anybody who is not indigenous from freely accessing this chunk of ancient dried sandstone is a form of racism. If the Human Rights Commission was of any use whatsoever it would be smacking this disgusting, selfish, nasty decision down.”

If Aborigines say climbing Ayers Rock – or Uluru as they call it – is disrespectful to their culture, we can acknowledge that.

So no hitting golf balls off The Rock, no partying, no defecating and no leaving of rubbish.

Aboriginal rangers could patrol the area and prosecute those who don’t treat the climb respectfully.

Same goes for the Hinchinbrook, Mossman Gorge and the Daintree.

Anyone should be allowed to go for free but not to desecrate.

Mt Olympus, Mt Everest, Mt Kiliminjaro, Mt Fuji, the Rock of Gibraltar – all these natural features are sacred to the indigenous peoples of those lands.

But you can still climb on them, and in fact, it is encouraged – respectfully of course.

So we must ask, if Aboriginal activists truly want “reconciliation” in a united Australia, what would work better: demanding laws that only benefit Aborigines and exclude whites? Or encouraging their people to be more tolerant, more open to change and more inclusive?

I agree with the fact that banning access to Ayers Rock will set a dangerous precedent.

In effect....it will allow for exclusion zones within Australia btwn Australians.

I'm just as much an Australian as any Aboriginal person as far as I'm concerned.

I was born/bred here and will one day die here in Australia too.

I have just as much claim to my country as anyone else.

I'm not any less of an Australian than any Aboriginal person. Why should I be treated as inferior?

All my bloody life I've been made to feel inferior because my parents were born n bred in Europe and that being born and bred in Australia meant nothing.

No. Stuff it....I'm sick of being excluded. And I won't tolerate it any more.

Not once was I asked how I felt/identified given the fact that the only country I ever knew was Australia.

What rights does an Australian born person have?

Well I believe they ought to have the same rights as ALL Australian born people.

Enough of exclusions/divisions.....our kids deserve better.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #460 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:28pm

John Smith wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 2:30pm:

it's not 'our rock' ... it's theirs. They've been given native title over it. They own it.

would be interesting if they found Lasseters Reef or oil under it wouldnt it????>.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #461 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:38pm

cods wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:28pm:

would be interesting if they found Lasseters Reef or oil under it wouldnt it????>.

They'd need big shovels

Quote:
Uluru stands 348 metres above sea level at its tallest point (24m higher than the Eiffel Tower), yet it resembles a “land iceberg” as the vast majority of its mass is actually underground - almost 2.5km worth

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #462 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:49pm

Got a question

One of our friends is half Greek/half Aboriginal. 

Which part of her will be banned? How will this be determined/calculated and by whom?

You see....the reality is we're all mixed now.

Case in point....my 4 kids. I have no Irish/Scottish/English ancestry....but the 4 kids I gave birth to...do.

I can't claim to have any ANZACS in my heritage.....but they can.

All I really know about the ANZAC's is the information I gleaned from an old and injured soldier....my father in law....which was many years ago....and the fact that I've retained his WWII uniform and medals on behalf of his grandchildren ie my kids.

I play "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" on the piano a few times a year and stop half way because of the tears over our dead boys.

Every time I see our Australian flag raised in victory in an Olympic Game race....I find myself tearing up with national pride and joy.  I look at the young girl/boy and I ask God to bless them and their family for teaming up to make our country so awesome.

So don't tell me I'm not worthy of feeling/thinking/being every inch an Australian as ANY Aboriginal person. Because I bloody well am worthy!

And as such I have the same rights as they do!

No exclusions/divisions....our kids deserve better!
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:54pm by Lisa Jones »  

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #463 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:49pm:
Got a question

One of our friends is half Greek/half Aboriginal. 

Which part of her will be banned? How will this be determined/calculated and by whom?

You see....the reality is we're all mixed now.

Case in point....my 4 kids. I have no Irish/Scottish/English ancestry....but the 4 kids I gave birth to...do.

I can't claim to have any ANZACS in my heritage.....but they can.

All I really know about the ANZAC's is the information I gleaned from an old and injured soldier....my father in law....which was many years ago....and the fact that I've retained his WWII uniform and medals on behalf of his grandchildren ie my kids.

I play "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" on the piano a few times a year and stop half way because of the tears over our dead boys.

Every time I see our Australian flag raised in victory in an Olympic Game race....I find myself tearing up with national pride and joy.  I look at the young girl/boy and I ask God to bless them and their family for teaming up to make our country so awesome.

So don't tell me I'm not worthy of feeling/thinking/being every inch an Australian as ANY Aboriginal person. Because I bloody well am worthy!

And as such I have the same rights as they do!

No exclusions/divisions....our kids deserve better!

Hear, hear!!!

Be happy to fine the zombies who throw empty plastic water bottles aside up there and piss in the water holes.... according to reports.... you take it into a national park - you bring it out or bury it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #464 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 4:04pm

PZ547 wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:38pm:
cods wrote on Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:28pm:

They'd need big shovels

Quote:
Uluru stands 348 metres above sea level at its tallest point (24m higher than the Eiffel Tower), yet it resembles a “land iceberg” as the vast majority of its mass is actually underground - almost 2.5km worth

**rolls eyes** Native title - for the ten thousandth time - is NOT ownership - national title is ownership.  All native title allows is the exercise of traditional pursuits....

Get over it and move on.  **rolls eyes again**   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 ... 51
Send Topic Print