Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ABC drama offerings (Read 1459 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

ABC drama offerings
Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:55am

The ABC is showing signs of a comeback under the leadership of Michelle Guthrie.

Some good new dramas, especially this late in the year:

Doctor Foster : Suranne Jones from Scott & Bailey in another out of control role (my take) in an interesting situation drama.

The Last Post; the British Empire goes down fighting in Aden in the 1960s (bet they don't have married quarters in Afghanistan)

Dr Blake: new series

RN seems to be getting a renovation too.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: ABC drama offerings
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 5:13am

Dr Foster.
Has anybody else been following this. The only thing I could compare it with is that old Dustin Hoffman movie, Kramer vs Kramer.
It's just staggering how people can tear each other apart in a marriage breakup.
Devastating stuff.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 8:57am

bogarde73 wrote on Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:55am:
The ABC is showing signs of a comeback under the leadership of Michelle Guthrie.

Doctor Foster : Suranne Jones from Scott & Bailey in another out of control role (my take) in an interesting situation drama.

The Last Post; the British Empire goes down fighting in Aden in the 1960s (bet they don't have married quarters in Afghanistan)

Dr Blake got canned

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:12am

No, I was talking about the series just run, which looked like a finale/end of story line anyway.
Then there was a telemovie, which rounded off the story for a couple of long-time characters.

One of the finest Aussie productions in a long time I think.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:45am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:12am:

I agree, although I'm not sure that, with the telemovie, they had to tie up so many loose ends so neatly and give everyone a happy ending (other than the Tynemans that is).  It was an enjoyable end to an enjoyable series though.

I can't say that I liked The Last Post at all.  The whole thing felt so miserable that, after one episode, I didn't want to watch it.  I can't say I really liked Doctor Foster either.  That's not to say that those two series are not excellent productions - they are - it's just that I didn't like them.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:50am

No, I stopped watching The Last Post as well.
With Dr Foster, I didn't enjoy what I was seeing but felt I had to watch it to the finish.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 1:10pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:12am:
No, I was talking about the series just run, which looked like a finale/end of story line anyway.
Then there was a telemovie, which rounded off the story for a couple of long-time characters.

Yes the run only came because it was canned. The ABC cut the funding.

IN the meantime though run all the f**king Gruen Transfer you want.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 11:06am

Delicious:

A BBC series with Dawn French & Emilia Fox, set around a divided family and a restaurant in a huge old house.
Quite entertaining, but my attention seems to be riveted all the time on how much weight Dawn French has lost. No longer the jolly fat Vicar of Dibley, my guess is she has had a run in with a cardiologist who told her "no weight loss, no treatment"

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 11:40am

bogarde73 wrote on Oct 30th, 2017 at 6:55am:

My favourites are:

Jack Irish
Janet King
The Code

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:23pm

The return of a couple of series I watch this week - Shetland and Delicious

Delicious is only so-so for me but Shetland is great. Never tire of crime dramas if they're good.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:51pm

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:23pm:

Delicious is only so-so for me but Shetland is great. Never tire of crime dramas if they're good.

I'm not big on cop shows, but I find Shetland interesting, and I don't know why.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:17pm

Find out who produced Phoenix and Janus at the ABC, get them back on the job.

My guess someone at the ABC disclosed that they weren't gay and they got the boot

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:21pm

miketrees wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

My guess someone at the ABC disclosed that they weren't gay and they got the boot

Yes they were brilliant shows.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:22pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 4:23pm:

I'm not big on cop shows, but I find Shetland interesting, and I don't know why.

It might be the combination of the interesting accents and the brooding landscape, a bit like Wallander.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 3:32pm

miketrees wrote on Feb 6th, 2018 at 2:17pm:

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print