Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
disgraceful (Read 449 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

disgraceful
Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:16am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/food/thermomix-admits-to-misleading-c...

THE Australian distributor of the Thermomix has confessed to misleading consumers and will be hit with a fine which could run into millions of dollars.

Thermomix In Australia Pty Ltd has also admitted to knowing nine women and a child had been burnt by its pricey appliance before it decided a public safety warning was necessary.

TIA has conceded a further legal breach for taking up to 1200 days to report serious injuries to the Federal Government when the time limit is two days.

The nation’s leading consumer group, Choice, said the admissions — disclosed in court documents obtained by News Corp Australia — show a “reckless approach to product safety”.

Choice spokesman Tom Godfrey said the revelations “should come as a warning to anyone looking to purchase a Thermomix product in the future

About 200,000 households have a Thermomix TM31, which cost $2000 each.

Choice raised the alarm about Thermomix cookers, publishing an investigation in May 2016 that catalogued 83 incidents involving TM31s and four about the newer TM5. TM31 owners reported hot food or liquid spitting from the mixing bowl, which was meant to be sealed shut.

In June this year the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission filed Federal Court proceedings against TIA alleging several breaches of the Competition and Consumer Act.

The ACCC accused TIA of misleading users and prospective purchasers by publicly denying there had been a safety recall on the TM31. In a 2016 media release, TIA had said the TM31 had never been subject to a product recall and was “absolutely safe”.

This was despite a voluntary recall notice being published on the government’s recalls website in October 2014 that said the original grey sealing ring had to be replaced with a new green one because a “potential product defect could lead to a scald or burn for the user if liquid or food splashes out of the mixing bowl”.

In its formal response to the allegation TIA now admits there had been a recall.

well I never was in line to buy one...but maybe a member has ... and this is pretty disgusting to read....
and know they didnt care if your were in any danger...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: disgraceful
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 7:38pm

I never buy the latest technologically advanced fad.
I let the 'guinea pigs' suffer in their technological addiction to all things new and shiny with many promises.
So many 'new toys' and 'gimmicks' in the last few decades have been absolute fizzers and basically - scams by default. Even the Medical Industry (mostly from USA) has released a good number of shockers.

The Science Industry is starting to make the Religious Industry look smart.  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print