Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carter on Trump issues (Read 556 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Carter on Trump issues
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:27am

Jimmy Carter, the liberal 93-year-old former president, surprisingly sided with President Trump when he told The New York Times that the media have been been too hostile on the current commander-in-chief.

“I think the media have been harder on Trump than any other president certainly that I’ve known about,” Carter told The New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd. The 39th president served one term from 1977 to 1981.

Carter added that he thought the media “feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation.”

The former president also pushed back on accusations of Russian collusion in the 2016 presidential election, saying: “I don’t think there’s any evidence that what the Russians did changed enough votes, or any votes.” He said his wife, Rosalynn, disagreed with him, before he added, “We voted for [Bernie] Sanders” in the primary.

Carter also doesn’t believe the current president’s “America First” strategy is out of step with the larger world, spoiling international relations. “Well, he might be escalating it but I think that precedes Trump,” he told the Times. “The United States has been the dominant character in the whole world and now we’re not anymore. And we’re not going to be. Russia’s coming back and India and China are coming forward.”

Carter also said he's willing to go to North Korea on a diplomatic mission amid the escalating tensions over nuclear weapons.

“I don’t know what they’ll do,” he said of North Korea. “Because they want to save their regime. And we greatly overestimate China’s influence on North Korea. Particularly to Kim Jong Un. He’s never, so far as I know, been to China.”

He called the North Korean dictator “unpredictable.”

In September, Carter expressed optimism that Trump might break a legislative logjam with his six-month deadline for Congress to address the immigration status of 800,000-plus U.S. residents who were brought to the country illegally as children.

Carter told Emory University students that the “pressures and the publicity that Trump has brought to the immigration issue” could even yield comprehensive immigration law changes that Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama could not muster.

He blamed both major parties for an inability to pass any major immigration law overhaul since a 1986 law signed by President Ronald Reagan.

“I don’t see that as a hopeless cause,” Carter said. He added that Trump’s critics, including himself, “have to give him credit when he does some things that are not as bad” as they are depicted.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: Carter on Trump issues
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am

Trust Jimmy Carter?
Sure do, always did.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:02am

Jimmy Carter is proof that American Christians don't want a Christian president.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:03am

They probably have been harder on Trump, buts it hard to resist when he throws so many soft pitches

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:20am

bogarde73 wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:28am:
Trust Jimmy Carter?
Sure do, always did.

You know all about trusting, don't you, Goebbels?
"Believe me"

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 11:27am

Well Carter was a weak and terrible president.  His views on Trump are also weak and terrible.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:11pm

Trump declared war on the media in general, and the NYT specifically, even before he was elected. They now bomb him any chance they get. It doesn't surprise me, anyway.

Trump is right about illegal aliens sneaking into the USA. He's right about Iran and North Korea. He's dead wrong about dismantling environmental protection and oil drilling in delicate ecological areas. He's a lying son of bitch when it comes to his opposition to unwinnable Middle Eastern wars. And he's a total slime-ball when it comes to his attitude toward women. Him and Harvey Veensteen, best buds.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:20pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 12:11pm:
Trump declared war on the media in general, and the NYT specifically, even before he was elected. They now bomb him any chance they get. It doesn't surprise me, anyway.

Trump is right about illegal aliens sneaking into the USA. He's right about Iran and North Korea. He's dead wrong about dismantling environmental protection and oil drilling in delicate ecological areas. He's a lying son of bitch when it comes to his opposition to unwinnable Middle Eastern wars. And he's a total slime-ball when it comes to his attitude toward women. Him and Harvey Veensteen, best buds.

Taking on the media is how he won the election: protest all you want but that is how he won because no one else had the balls to do it!

Cheesy Cheesy

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:25pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 10:03am:
They probably have been harder on Trump, buts it hard to resist when he throws so many soft pitches

What are you talking about?

...he attacked the media his whole campaign: the media hate him because he told the whole country the media was crap and he won the election by selling that one exact message... the media have been exposed as total pariahs that the whole country hates.

Grin Grin

Talk about soft pitches all you want but you are just avoiding the truth: Trump called the media scum for two years to win the election and he won.... that proves to the media that they are more hated than Trump!

You just can't accept that little fact buddy....  Cheesy

Wait, wait,.... I meant to say: you just can't accept that little fact FAKE buddy  Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:05pm

Maybe in some commentary, Bogie, but in the news section, all the negative press I've read has been based on Trump's own words.

Most reporting of Trump's tweets, for example, or his stump speeches, have been just that - Trump's own words. The lies, the attacks, the vanity - the pussies - it all comes from Trump. And when it's reported, Trump is dumb enough to call it FAKE news.

You can't polish a turd like Trump. He represents the worst of America - the spoilt, over-indulgent, superficiality. The kitsch displays of affluence and ugly, bloated wealth. The ignorance of the rest of the world or how the other half live. The sheer vanity and unabashed self-promotion. Trump's sole claim to fame is being rich, and we only know this because he's spent his entire adult life promoting this.

Sorry, Jimmy Carter, it's pretty hard to see how you could blame anyone other than Trump. He has always championed the no-press-is-bad-press line. Trump's now reaping what he's sown.

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:54pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:05pm:
Maybe in some commentary, Bogie, but in the news section, all the negative press I've read has been based on Trump's own words.

Most reporting of Trump's tweets, for example, or his stump speeches, have been just that - Trump's own words. The lies, the attacks, the vanity - the pussies - it all comes from Trump. And when it's reported, Trump is dumb enough to call it FAKE news.

You can't polish a turd like Trump. He represents the worst of America - the spoilt, over-indulgent, superficiality. The kitsch displays of affluence and ugly, bloated wealth. The ignorance of the rest of the world or how the other half live. The sheer vanity and unabashed self-promotion. Trump's sole claim to fame is being rich, and we only know this because he's spent his entire adult life promoting this.

Sorry, Jimmy Carter, it's pretty hard to see how you could blame anyone other than Trump. He has always championed the no-press-is-bad-press line. Trump's now reaping what he's sown.

He is still using the press.... get a grip you stupid woman  Grin

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:05pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:54pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:05pm:

He is still using the press.... get a grip you stupid woman  Grin

Not anymore, Death. Mr Trump avoids the press like the plague.

He now uses Twitter and Fox News.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print