Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
New drug epidemic still gets no Gov. action. (Read 1597 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

New drug epidemic still gets no Gov. action.
Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:37pm

link

Where's Duterte when you need him?

But of COURSE the traffickers of this lethal drug should be either executed by firing squad or locked up for the period of their natural lives.

Trump is making an announcement about this next week.

link

If the plan is to go softly on the offenders who distribute these lethal concoctions, then it will be another opportunity lost.

The solution is really very simple: The fewer drug traffickers there are, the fewer people fall foul of this deadly addiction.

link

"Oh! But what about their Human Rights?" the bedwetters will say.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:49pm by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: New drug epidemic still gets no Gov. action.
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:16am

Quote:
.............Shortly after lunchtime, as drizzle fell outside at the start of a week without work, Paddy Colby told his father that he was going to watch television in his bedroom. He trudged upstairs, closed the door and killed himself.
The cheerful handyman and stepfather did not mean to die. Once in his bedroom, he took out a ‘wrap’ of heroin he had bought – a drug which sells on the streets of Hull for £10. Then he put the powder in citric acid, heated it up and injected it into his body.
After years of addiction, Colby, 39, might have noticed the drug was more soluble than usual and the liquid had a strange reddish hue.
But it hit him so fast that when his stepmother found his body three hours later, the syringe was still in his hand.

For the ‘wrap’ he bought was not just heroin. It had been mixed with two lethal man-made opioids – fentanyl, a painkiller 100 times more potent than morphine; and carfentanyl, an elephant tranquilliser 10,000 times stronger than street heroin.
These are the synthetic drugs carving such a deadly course across the United States, an epidemic that left 64,000 people dead last year, including rock star Prince. This year’s death toll may double.
Now the drugs have arrived in Britain – and a spate of sudden deaths in Hull, the worst incident in the UK so far, shows their devastating impact. Just a few grains of carfentanyl – 0.00002g – can be fatal.

Colby was one of at least 15 people – and possibly more than 20 – killed in Hull and the surrounding area in just a few weeks.
Their lives ended after heroin was mixed with the synthetic opioids, which are made in laboratories abroad, bought on the internet and sold at vast profit. In another case, six people were killed on one side of a street in Stockton, Teesside, earlier this year.
These lethal drugs have begun cropping up across the country – first found in Blyth, Northumberland, then suspected in deaths and drug busts from Leeds to London, St Albans to Southampton, Wakefield to Winchester, and Wales to Northern Ireland.

This feels eerily familiar to me after reporting two months ago from the front line of the US drug crisis in Ohio – not least since there are signs Britain is seeing the same overuse of prescription opioids.
As the Hull inquests unfold, exposing sad stories of lives wrecked by addiction, events in this proud fishing community should serve as a wake-up call to complacent authorities.
‘These new drugs are the very dangerous tip of an iceberg,’ said Detective Chief Inspector Paul Kirby, of Humberside Police, who admitted he knew little about the problem before it hit his patch. ‘The country needs to be alert.’
The first local warning sign came last September in Goole, when a man released from prison died unusually quickly after injecting drugs. Fatal heroin overdoses usually take several hours, death coming from respiratory failure.
Early this year there was talk of super-strength heroin on the streets – then came 31 drug-linked deaths in Hull and East Yorkshire by the end of May. ...........
The US drug epidemic is rooted in the over-prescription of opioid painkillers, drugs which were heavily promoted by pharmaceutical firms and doled out by doctors like sweets.

This led to a big pool of addicted people – many with no history of hard drug use – who shifted to street dealers when prices rose or supplies dried up.

Now hundreds die each week from potent synthetic opioids. The best-known victim was rock star Prince, who died last year aged 57 from a fentanyl overdose...........

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:17am

Quote:
..............‘It was shocking to see so many people suddenly dying,’ said one key local source, adding that two corpses had deteriorated too much for testing by the time they were discovered.
‘Probably another four to six of the dead had used the new drugs.’
Last week came the latest in Hull’s series of inquests. Steven Farniss, a 34-year-old with mental health problems, was found dead in a snicket surrounded by drug paraphernalia. His body contained traces of heroin, fentanyl and carfentanyl.
The arrival of these highly toxic substances is especially alarming for Britain since it has the highest proportion of heroin users in Europe and already accounts for almost one third of the entire continent’s overdose deaths.
The UK is also the biggest host of fentanyl sales on the secret ‘darknet’ in Europe, with 1,000 trades made in the last few months alone, according to the Oxford Internet Institute.
Experts say the drug is increasingly appearing for sale online. Two men were jailed last month for importing and selling the drug online in the first such British case.
Profits can be huge – with thousandfold mark-ups of fentanyl bought from China – while it is easy to hide, given the minuscule quantities needed.
‘You can get enough of some of these drugs in a single envelope to supply millions,’ said Steve Rolles, senior policy analyst at the Transform Drug Policy Foundation. ‘Why smuggle ten kilograms of heroin when you can bring in a matchbox of carfentanyl?’
Such is its potency, US dealers have died from toxic inhalation while cutting supplies. While I was in Ohio, three hospital nurses needed rapid treatment after losing consciousness while treating an overdose patient.
Colby’s tale is tragic but typical. He began using drugs as a young man, part funded by £20,000 compensation from injuring his leg on a fairground ride, and claimed the fatal dose was ‘one last hit’.
He tried to defeat his demons – seeking treatment, taking a heroin substitute and spending four months in rehab at the end of last year before returning to live with his family. The inquest heard there was just a single needle mark on his corpse.
‘In my eyes he has been murdered,’ said his stepmother June Colby. ‘Yes, he has gone out and paid for heroin but he hasn’t paid for this.
‘Those who sold it to him must have known what was in it and they must have known what it could do. What hurts us all is that Paddy had just come from rehab.
‘We were told his body was really healthy and clean, which is why this stuff killed him so quickly.’
Colby’s best friend, Phil Hutchinson, 37, said: ‘He was a great bloke and a fantastic dad and uncle. He would always be doing stuff with the kids. He was nothing like the stereotype of an addict – he’d never burgle anyone’s home.’
But such is the cruel grip of addiction that in the centre of the UK’s 2017 City of Culture, I found Colby’s cousin Danny Colby, 37, who survived a fentanyl overdose but still used heroin. He first took the drug aged 12 when given it by a relative who was dealing.
He told me he bought ‘a bag and a half’ a couple of months ago.

‘I remember taking it with my girlfriend but not falling to the floor. I don’t even remember the buzz. But when I woke five hours later my girlfriend looked like she was dead.’
This affable man admitted the couple were lucky to survive, unlike several friends who died among the carnage earlier this year. ‘I may be an addict but I don’t want to use that again – it’s scary and very bad stuff.’
Others were more phlegmatic. Mark Stephenson, 45, another long-term user, pointed out to me the busy shopping street where he collapsed after taking the adulterated heroin. ‘Next thing I knew I was in an ambulance.’
Yet he said he would take fentanyl again. ‘I don’t care about my life – look at it,’ he said as we sat on blankets below an iconic Hull mosaic on a shuttered shopfront. ‘I don’t want to die but if I do I’m not bothered.’
Not all victims are homeless human wrecks. Britain’s death toll from fentanyl includes an Army captain secretly using cocaine and heroin to handle stress.
And a family in Kent will today scatter the ashes of an 18-year-old skateboarder who died being given a free sample of fentanyl when buying cannabis – a chilling echo of tactics used by US dealers to snare fresh customers.
In August, the National Crime Agency urged families to be vigilant after 60 fentanyl-linked deaths. That figure has now risen to 88 – but these drugs are difficult to detect in blood while forensic tests do not routinely search for them in post-mortems.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:19am

Quote:
There are also dozens of different synthetic opioids, making tracking them even tougher. ‘People don’t know what to look for and that’s what is so terrifying,’ said Vicky Harris, a Humberside public health official.
Alarmingly, Britain has also witnessed a sharp rise in prescription opioids. This lay behind the US epidemic – people who became hooked after seeking medical help then turned to street dealers when supplies were stopped or prices rose. Over the past decade, the number of prescriptions issued for opioids has doubled nationally.
In East Yorkshire, a recent audit of just one GP practice in a struggling coastal town found 1,223 people on long-term use of opiates out of 14,000 patients.
To put that in perspective, there are more than 9,000 GP practices in the UK, while the whole of East Yorkshire has about 600 people known to be dependent on drugs.
‘We are creating an opiate-dependent population,’ said Tony Margetts, substance misuse manager for East Riding of Yorkshire Council. ‘It looks to me like a slow-motion catastrophe.’
He said many patients in the audit were middle-aged, moving from industrial areas. ‘Opium feeds on unhappiness and there are lots of older, unhappy people who start taking drugs for pain but enjoy the feeling of calm.’
The arrival of potent synthetic opioids will also intensify debate over how to stop drug use.
Among those I met on Hull’s damp streets was Joe Hood, 44, from Newcastle, who started using drugs in his late 20s after the death of his eight-year-old son from leukaemia.
Hood is another shaken survivor of fentanyl. ‘I remember pushing in the pin [needle] and waking up seven hours later with it still in my arm. I hope I never take it again – but when you go to a dealer you don’t know what you’re getting.’
Hood was in a cemetery when he injected himself. He was fortunate to wake up. Many others will not be so lucky.

I suggest this is due to the illegality of some drugs

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 3:02am

How is it that people on the streets know who to buy this stuff off but the police don't?

Execution is the only way to reduce this tide of death and misery, but for as long as Leftwing luvvies are in charge of making the laws, this will continue unabated.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:50am

Why should government act?  Keeps the general populace teetering on the edge and surrounded by the wolves while the ruling classes live safely within their little communes..... politics of division demand that no action be taken here.....

Grappler's Law:-

i.  Ye Druge user shall be helde without tryalle until he or she yieldeth up the name of ye supplyer.

ii.  Ye Lowe Levele supplyer shall be helde without tryalle untile he or she yieldeth up the name of ye next linke in the chaine of supplye.

iii.  Ye top curs shall be executed aftere faire tryalle..... with jurye composed of members of family of deceased users as faire representatione of peers ......
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:57am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:12am

hang em and hang em high -

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:34am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:50am:
Why should government act?  Keeps the general populace teetering on the edge and surrounded by the wolves while the ruling classes live safely within their little communes..... politics of division demand that no action be taken here.....

i.  Ye Druge user shall be helde without tryalle until he or she yieldeth up the name of ye supplyer.

ii.  Ye Lowe Levele supplyer shall be helde without tryalle untile he or she yieldeth up the name of ye next linke in the chaine of supplye.

iii.  Ye top curs shall be executed aftere faire tryalle..... with jurye composed of members of family of deceased users as faire representatione of peers ......

I like it, but you've been way too limited.

For every Mr Big there are hundreds of rats working for them as couriers and distributors.

Execute the lot of them.

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:10pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:34am:

For every Mr Big there are hundreds of rats working for them as couriers and distributors.

Execute the lot of them.

Including the usual allotment of corrupt cops, judges, and politicians??

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:18pm

"Despite enormous progress in reducing smoking, tobacco use is still the leading cause of preventable death in the United States and imposes a terrible toll on families, businesses and government.

"Tobacco kills more than 480,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

"Tobacco costs the U.S. approximately $170 billion in health care expenditures and more than $150 billion in lost productivity each year."

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:21pm

thecuriousmail wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:10pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 7:34am:

Execute the lot of them.

Including the usual allotment of corrupt cops, judges, and politicians??

That would be all of them.

but seriously folks, the only way to deal with drug pushers is to do what a mate did many years ago in the UK.

He made the pusher eat all of the drugs he had on him.

the pusher didnt survive, the cops put it down to overdose, which it clearly was.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:25pm

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:18pm:
"Despite enormous progress in reducing smoking, tobacco use is still the leading cause of preventable death in the United States and imposes a terrible toll on families, businesses and government.

"Tobacco kills more than 480,000 people annually – more than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, illegal drugs, murders and suicides combined.

"Tobacco costs the U.S. approximately $170 billion in health care expenditures and more than $150 billion in lost productivity each year."

Give it up, peccarovich - you're perverting the course of the discussion...  nobody cares to hear about tobacco in the context of illegal drugs...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:29pm

Yes all true .... but I've never seen a smoker so affected by nicotene that they go on a violent rampage killing people, damaging property, stealing from friends, relatives & the general public ... etc etc.

Ice, crack cocaine & the new synthetic clones do this & more ...........

Smokers unless they are also heavy drug abusers just die from complications to their addiction.

Don't get me wrong I detest cigarettes & smokers but it's not as simple as comparing health costs of smoking against all the other damage hard drugs do.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:34pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:29pm:

Yes all true .... but I've never seen a smoker so affected by nicotene that they go on a violent rampage killing people, damaging property, stealing from friends, relatives & the general public ... etc etc.

Ice, crack cocaine & the new synthetic clones do this & more ...........

Smokers unless they are also heavy drug abusers just die from complications to their addiction.

Don't get me wrong I detest cigarettes & smokers but it's not as simple as comparing health costs of smoking against all the other damage hard drugs do.

One more time:

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:35pm

What about when governments are involved in illegal drug trafficking??
American government has done it.
What then for those politicians and bureaucrats involved??

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:35pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:28pm:

Give it up, peccarovich - you're perverting the course of the discussion...  nobody cares to hear about tobacco in the context of illegal drugs...

Go stick your head up your arse.

"The tobacco epidemic is one of the biggest public health threats the world has ever faced, killing more than 7 million people a year.

"More than 6 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 890 000 are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke."

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:37pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 3:02am:
How is it that people on the streets know who to buy this stuff off but the police don't?

that's cause they're buying it from the cops  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:03pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:35pm:

"The tobacco epidemic is one of the biggest public health threats the world has ever faced, killing more than 7 million people a year.

"More than 6 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 890 000 are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke."

Lay off the sauce, handsome - the tobacco thing is NOT relevant to this issue raised.

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:05pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:03pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 6:35pm:

Lay off the sauce, handsome - the tobacco thing is NOT relevant to this issue raised.

Haven't had a drink for three days.

Again, stick your head up your arse, you silly old fart.

Tobacco is VERY relevant.

If you can't see why, perhaps YOU should lay off the sauce, old cock.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:05pm:

You're doing well compared to most alcoholics.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:30pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:23pm:

If I haven't had a drink for three days, I can't be an alcoholic.

Didn't think that one through, did you Dame Booby?

Anyway, spent the weekend at an alcohol-free establishment.

Got home this morning, and haven't had anything yet.

I might have a whiskey shortly, to celebrate your upcoming nuptials, though.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:40pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:30pm:

Sounds like you desperately need a drink, Peccarovich - you are out of control more and more these days.... maybe you need to sit back and review yourself and your choices recently... something is eating at you, boy - get with the program.

I believe Bobby and my good self advocated that you be allowed to return... Purgatory seems to have done you little good.

Tobacco has NOTHING to do with the latest killer designer drug - if you wish to discuss tobacco deaths etc - start a new thread.

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:41pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:40pm:

Sounds like you desperately need a drink, Peccarovich - you are out of control more and more these days.... maybe you need to sit back and review yourself and your choices recently... something is eating at you, boy - get with the program.

I believe Bobby and my good self advocated that you be allowed to return... Purgatory seems to have done you little good.

Tobacco has NOTHING to do with the latest killer designer drug - if you wish to discuss tobacco deaths etc - start a new thread.

Undecided

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:59pm

An alcoholic is a person whose drinking causes serious life problems.

Some people are binge alcoholics -
they might not drink for weeks then go on a blinder and bash everyone in sight.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:00pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:59pm:

If I ever have a serious life problem, Dame Booby, I'll let you know.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 12:02am

alcohol.. tobacco - what has any of this to do with this current designer drug?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 5:50am

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 9:00pm:
Bobby. wrote on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:59pm:

If I ever have a serious life problem, brave sir  Bobby, I'll let you know.

One of the signs of alcoholism is denial.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #28 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 10:54am

You do realise though guys that fentanyl is a legally prescribed drug right?

I've had fentanyl.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #29 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 10:56am

carfentanyl, an elephant tranquilliser 10,000 times stronger than street heroin.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5004681/Drug-10-000-times-deadlier-heroin-kills-15-UK-city.html#ixzz4wNn0uSPu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And what the hell does 10,000 time stronger mean.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 2:33pm

... and one of the signs of denial is alcoholism......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print