Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Denmark set to ban the Burqa (Read 4483 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Denmark set to ban the Burqa
Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:34am

[urlhttp://www.news.com.au/world/europe/denmark-set-to-be-the-latest-country-to-implement-a-burqa-ban/news-story/45aaf4f350cffac473cef74a4885d12c][/url]

DENMARK looks set to become the next European country to restrict the burqa and the niqab, worn by some Muslim women, after most parties in the Danish parliament backed some sort of ban on facial coverings.
Full and partial face veils such as burqas and niqabs divide opinion across Europe, setting advocates of religious freedom against secularists and those who argue that such garments are culturally alien or a symbol of the oppression of women.
Denmark is talking about implementing a ‘burqa ban’. Picture: AFP Photo/Nicolas Asfouri
Denmark is talking about implementing a ‘burqa ban’. Picture: AFP Photo/Nicolas AsfouriSource:AFP
The niqab covers everything but the eyes, while the burqa also covers the eyes with a transparent veil.
France, Belgium, Austria, the Netherlands, Bulgaria and the German state of Bavaria have all imposed some restrictions on the wearing of full-face veils in public places.
MORE:
Austria’s ‘burqa ban’ comes into force
Pauline Hanson turns up to Parliament in full burqa
Nationals vote down burqa ban at federal conference
Anti-immigration group mistakes bus seats for burqas

“This is not a ban on religious clothing, this is a ban on masking,” Jacob Ellemann-Jensen, spokesman for the Liberal Party, told reporters on Friday after his party, the largest in the coalition government, decided to back a ban.
This would effectively mean a ban on the niqab and the burqa, he added.
Around 200 women in Denmark wear such garments, according to researchers.
The three-party centre-right minority government, its ally the Danish People’s Party and the main opposition Social Democrats have all said they are in favour of a ban, though they are still discussing how the ban should be designed and enforced.
“There will come a masking ban in Denmark. That’s how it is,” Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen said on Facebook.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Denmark set to ban the Burqa
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:23am

It most certainly is a ban on religious clothing, but do you know?

I have no problem with banning the burqa/niqab in government offices or services. I'm even open to banning them in public spaces.

Burqas make women stand out. They create fear, and in doing so, put those wearing them at risk. Burqas alienate their wearers. I know I never know where to look when I see one. 

No worries in Saudi Arabia where they're the norm, but in the West, I can't see them as anything other than a symbol of oppression.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:20am

This Movement to secularise immigrant Muslims when in public is rolling from country to country across the Western World.

It's unstoppable.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:54am

Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:20am:
This Movement to secularise immigrant Muslims when in public is rolling from country to country across the Western World.

It's unstoppable.

You are dreaming Herb, if there was a movement, Merkel would have been given the boot. What we have seen is quite stoppable by the liberal-humanist media. Do you really think anything is being done to prevent the next Muzlim atrocity?

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:04pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:54am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:20am:

It's unstoppable.

You are dreaming Herb, if there was a movement, Merkel would have been given the boot. What we have seen is quite stoppable by the liberal-humanist media. Do you really think anything is being done to prevent the next Muzlim atrocity?

All atrocities are ... atrocious, but you're focusing on the wrong people.

Just ask our resident nutter Islamophobe, Valkie.

"What we should be afraid of is truely intellegent lunatics.

"White, terrorists."

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:05pm

So. is Denmark going to ban the Bikini as well?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 2:05pm:

And why would they do that?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:23pm

They're not all nudists.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:03pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:01pm:

Because some people find it alarming to see a woman's navel displayed in public, Caveman.   Surely if we are going to see the freedom to dress how Muslim women like curtailed, we can see the same attitude displayed towards beach going women?   Tsk, tsk,  surely not suggesting that the Danes are Islamophobic?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:04pm

freediver wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:23pm:
They're not all nudists.

Good god!  I hope not, otherwise wearing an all enveloping Burqa would make sense, now wouldn't it, FD?   Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:03pm:
Because some people find it alarming to see a woman's navel displayed in public, Caveman

we should also ban breastfeeding while we're at it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:05pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:04pm:
Because some people find it alarming to see a woman's navel displayed in public, Caveman

we should also ban breastfeeding while we're at it.

Particularly in Parliament!   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:17pm

Because some people find it alarming to see a woman's navel displayed in public, Caveman.   Surely if we are going to see the freedom to dress how Muslim women like curtailed, we can see the same attitude displayed towards beach going women?   Tsk, tsk,  surely not suggesting that the Danes are Islamophobic?   Roll Eyes

Why?  They're only being asked to conform to the nation they've sought out as their best possible future.... they can dress any way they like - as long as it doesn't cover their faces .....
not that there's anything wrong with that - most of them aren't worth looking at anyway.. but there was one lass..... ah.... all those moments.... like teardrops in the rain ......

Why would that nation's women have to change their ways to suit a minority of supplicants seeking refuge?  Surely it's the other way around.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:33pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:17pm:

Why?  They're only being asked to conform to the nation they've sought out as their best possible future.... they can dress any way they like - as long as it doesn't cover their faces .....
not that there's anything wrong with that - most of them aren't worth looking at anyway.. but there was one lass..... ah.... all those moments.... like teardrops in the rain ......

Why would that nation's women have to change their ways to suit a minority of supplicants seeking refuge?  Surely it's the other way around.

Why should anybody have to conform to any standard set by others, Graps?   Surely you don't want to conform to "normal behavior" as defined by Herbie or Soren or Yadda or even me?   I don't particularly care what people post, as long as it isn't directly insulting to me or others.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 2:00am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:33pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:17pm:

Why should anybody have to conform to any standard set by others, Graps?   Surely you don't want to conform to "normal behavior" as defined by Herbie or Soren or Yadda or even me?   I don't particularly care what people post, as long as it isn't directly insulting to me or others.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Well, we're dealing with a double standard here - the same 'culture' that expects 'modest women' to cover up also seeks, as a minority, to criticise those who do not follow that rule.

When you have been welcomed into a nation, seriously, you may voice those criticisms in private, but you must begin, at some time, to learn to fit in, rather than alienate others by making a firm rule that your way is the only way.

In the West, we get by on a degree (not total) of tolerance, and those who come here must accept tolerance as well.

So far in this nation, I see no demand that Muslim women not be modest or divest themselves of reasonable attire - it is only the full face cover that is creating problems  and the absolute determination of some in that group to adhere to that and condemn all others..... that last is intolerance, and it is not from 'this' side of the question.

Our preachers don't go around calling over-clad Muslim women covered meat pies to be devoured at any time.... unlike those who say that Western women exercising their right to wear what they want means they are 'cat meat'.

I've actually made eye contact with a hijab wearing woman more than once, and unfortunately I have no real idea what her response is to meeting me .. I have no idea that she might feel that in making eye contact I may be intent on raping her or whatever... on the other hand she has no idea of what my thoughts are.

These things are a barrier to communication, and left alone, and outside of a very primitive 'culture', would make a lot of difference to the way people interact.

My observation of that lady's eyes was that she was uncertain, and that she did not fear rape from me, but that she was longing to 'get out' and was uncertain about what to do and how to behave, and for my part, I wondered what kind of person was inside that 'tent' .... what is that phrase so in vogue? .... 'coming out of the closet'......

I don't see that as offensive in this nation... I've had Arab-derived girlfriends who are fabulous in many ways.. but I will never be a Muslim.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print