Send Topic Print
The Big Question. (Read 3766 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
The Big Question.
Oct 9th, 2017 at 4:33pm

Some people seem to think it is "who" created the Universe. Others want to know if there is life after death, never mind that that is a contradiction in terms, but they are still allowed to ask the question. And others want to know the meaning of life as if it will provide them with purpose.

Of course there are plenty of people who will tell you they know the answer, or at least where to find it.  None of this is important to me. I don't actually dwell in the same frame of mind.

To me, the Big Question is: "Can humanity save itself from itself." Our exponential increase seems to be against it. But there are those who don't believe our survival matters, as long as we do what god has directed us to do through ancient scripture. I find that view as cynical as the dystopian future portrayed in every futuristic movie since 1984 which came out in 1956.

Of course, Hollywood will use the excuse that such movies are a warning, but they say that about guns and violence in the cinema too. I don't believe them. I think they know ghoulishness sell. And when God Freaks are almost ecstatic about an apocalypse, they share much with the rich liberal celebrities cashing in on the same basic idea. I'll bet none of them are quite as much a student of irony as I.

Can we save ourselves from ourselves? That's my Big Question. I am not interested in platitudes, but I know some fruitcake will say only Jesus can save us my son. As I said, I am not interested in any of that, and its because I am continual confronted with visions of paradise.

I didn't need a philosophy or a religion to see it. And I supposed I am blessed to see it, although that term is too often associated with a deity. Its how I have always seen things, only my experience has refined and focused the view. I have often said that I am the luckiest man in the world, but that is because of how the world appears to me.

I think the one thing we could change, that would have an effect on the Big Question, is to cut the cynicism we allow our children to absorb from the media. That is unless we wish to write a self-fulfilling prophecy.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: The Big Question.
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:59pm

IMO, no. [in answer to the Q.]

Quote:

John Connor: We're not gonna make it, are we? People, I mean.

The Terminator: It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.

John Connor: Yeah. Major drag, huh?

We are too selfish and self absorbed, and way, way, too irrational.

e.g.
Even when it is clearly 'laid out' before us,        that the consequences of a poor choice will likely be 'regrettable',
we still choose, to make the poor/selfish choice.

And, me too, too often!

Requisite scripture from Yadda....       Smiley

Romans 7:18
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1293669294/0#0
Quote:

A simple definition of SANITY/INSANITY.

Typically, an unrestrained sane person will act in ways which are harmless to others, and in ways which are creative, and productive [for himself, others, and society].

And typically, and conversely, an unrestrained INSANE person will act in ways which are harmful and destructive to himself, and, or, others around him.

I will be glad, when my time here is finished.

It is, and has been, interesting [to witness].

But there is so much wickedness here.

I hate it, and i hate my own [moral] weakness.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:06am

The meek will inherit the Earth

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:08am

.... and those who comply with the Feast and Famine Variable

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:43am

Bias_2012 wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 1:06am:

Those persons like.....

Numbers 12:3
(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

Who woulda thunk it !

Moses, was a very meek man.

....according to scripture [God] !

Psalms 37:11
......the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

I guess, it all depends upon what God's definition of 'meek' is then.

Scripture records, that Moses usually, deferred to what God wanted.

Dictionary;
defer = = submit humbly to

An example, of the behaviour, of the meek man, Moses, when confronted by the proud man.....

Numbers 16:1
Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:
2  And they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the assembly, famous in the congregation, men of renown:
3  And they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and the LORD is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the congregation of the LORD?
4  And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face:
5  And he spake unto Korah and unto all his company, saying, Even to morrow the LORD will shew who are his, and who is holy; and will cause him to come near unto him: even him whom he hath chosen will he cause to come near unto him.

"......the LORD will shew who are his, and who is holy; and will cause him to come near unto him:
even him whom he hath chosen will he cause to come near unto him."

'Salvation', isn't for everyone.

Humility, and meekness, before God, isn't for everyone.

Psalms 34:18
The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

Psalms 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Q.
What does the word 'contrite' mean ?

Look it up.

Contrite,        is what Jesus told us, to be, before our God.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:24am

Issuevoter - No, I don't think humanity can save itself from itself. 
  We are destroying the earth at an increasing rate. We make illogical decisions. There are too many of us and we are increasing in numbers.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:32am

Fat lot of good it'll do 'em.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:21pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:32am:

We, men, can only 'conceive', and 'understand',     of things which we have seen, and know, and have touched.

I have wonderful dreams.

But they are not real.         Wink             Cheesy

issue,

Is it always mistaken, or always foolish, to trust in a promise ?

e.g.
If a good and reliable friend of yours, made a promise to you,
would you, and should you, have confidence in the sincerity and honesty of your friend ?

Q.
If we can't believe a trusted friend, then who can we believe ?

Isaiah 65:17
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

Isaiah 66:2
For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

2 Peter 3:13
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Revelation 21:1
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Matthew 19:26
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them,....with God all things are possible.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:49pm

Yadda wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 3:21pm:
issuevoter wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 11:32am:

We, men, can only 'conceive', and 'understand',     of things which we have seen, and know, and have touched.

I have wonderful dreams.

But they are not real.         Wink             Cheesy

issue,

Is it always mistaken, or always foolish, to trust in a promise ?

e.g.
If a good and reliable friend of yours, made a promise to you,
would you, and should you, have confidence in the sincerity and honesty of your friend ?

Q.
If we can't believe a trusted friend, then who can we believe ?

This is as far as I went with your post. I will not be preached at.

1: Your first line is much like atheist doctrine. I am not an atheist, I cannot comment on that.

2: Foolishness trusting. Depends on the case, so not "always."

3: Would I, should I. Perhaps. Not necessarily. Some of my friends are pretty loopy. Can they trust me is more important.

4: Who can we trust if not our friends? Start with yourself. In my view, no human will ever have a greater understanding of the nature of reality than any other. That means all inquiry is up to the individual. That crap about the meek inheriting the earth is just someone blathering about something they picked up without any verification. I mentioned that attitude in my opening post. I knew one of you pathetic nut jobs was going to come along and tell me the answer to my big question was somehow related to Jesus. And I clearly stated I was not interested in such drivel.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:26pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:49pm:

4: Who can we trust if not our friends? Start with yourself.

In my view, no human will ever have a greater understanding of the nature of reality than any other. That means all inquiry is up to the individual.

issue,

We [mankind] do not understand what our real circumstances are.

We do not have enough information about our place in the universe, or even a secure understanding about 'what' the 'universe' actually is or even how big it is!

No one can claim to know what is 'real', or what 'reality' is, or even what human consciousness [i.e. self-awareness] is [or what it really 'represents'].

'Life', is a search for meaning ?

....and truth ?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 6:36am

Yadda wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
issuevoter wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 9:49pm:

4: Who can we trust if not our friends? Start with yourself.

In my view, no human will ever have a greater understanding of the nature of reality than any other. That means all inquiry is up to the individual.

issue,

We [mankind] do not understand what our real circumstances are.

We do not have enough information about our place in the universe, or even a secure understanding about 'what' the 'universe' actually is or even how big it is!

No one can claim to know what is 'real', or what 'reality' is, or even what human consciousness [i.e. self-awareness] is [or what it really 'represents'].

'Life', is a search for meaning ?

....and truth ?

I would not be prepared to state that Life is a search for anything. I suppose it could be, if that's what interests a person. As I have said in the OP, I am already struck by visions of paradise. I am not searching for meaning. I think of "meaning" as a human concept not necessarily of any relevance to the Universe.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:59am

issuevoter wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 6:36am:

I would       not      be prepared to state that Life is a search for anything.

You show no reticence, in being critical of the 'disclosure' of the explorations of others - even in a place which is formally dedicated to 'disclosure' and self expression and 'exploration'.

....and yet, you yourself, often seem averse to participating in relevatory disclosure.

assessment;
He doesn't display a very confident persona. Perhaps his own assessment of his 'surroundings' and his 'circumstances' leaves him somewhat unnerved.

issue,
You are an adult.     Correct ?

I suppose it could be, if that's what interests a person.

Men and women all seem to display myriad inclinations to explore differing interests in the course of their lives.

Many people, imo, exhibit a personas akin to a vessel aimlessly adrift, upon an open ocean.

Aimless.

As I have said in the OP, I am already struck by visions of paradise.

Lucky you.

"I am not an atheist, I cannot comment on that."

I am not searching for meaning.

I pity you.      ....but i'm not sure that i entirely believe that statement is accurate.

I think of "meaning" as a human concept not necessarily of any relevance to the Universe.

Speaking for the rest of us,        we seem to be creatures imbued with a prodigious amount of curiosity about our 'circumstance', here.

I relish the opportunity to explore the 'meaning' of my own self-awareness.

I don't fight against any opportunity to 'stretch' myself further.

disclosure;
I don't use 'recreational' or illicit drugs.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:00am

A=42

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:05am

Life is a search for meaning.

Perhaps.

A 'discovery' which has been disclosed by some;

"Life's a b!tch, and then you die!"

Not here.
- Yadda

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:36pm

Oh, pity the poor Issuevoter as he wanders aimlessly through life, without the guidance of Abraham, Marx, or the Wall Street Journal. He must be such a lonely fellow without an allegiance to one of our clubs. This is a sure sign of a person without any self-confidence.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print