Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blimey hows this for neighbours (Read 1812 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blimey hows this for neighbours
Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:34am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/chronically-ill-woman-slams-neighbour-for-nasty...

A WOMAN suffering from chronic illness received a nasty anonymous note from an irate neighbour, telling her to clean up her “pig sty” property.

The note, slipped into the letterbox of Anne Simpson’s Melbourne home, said her property was a “disgraceful mess”, “dirty and disgusting” and urged the 59-year-old to “move your pig sty to Doveton”.

But Ms Simpson, who fights constant exhaustion and depleted energy levels due to recent illness, has responded to the note with a call for compassion, urging people to check in on their neighbours rather than rush to condemn.

“Put down your poison pen and pick up a tool or two and lend a hand,” she said.

She said she is embarrassed by the state of her garden, but she’s not ashamed and wanted her neighbours to understand she was doing her best.

Ms Simpson contacted the Leader after she found the unsigned note in her letter box on October 2.

The house, footpath and veranda are dirty and disgusting, I am told the house inside is filthy too,” the note said.

“Move your pig sty to Doveton. We don’t want you here.”

Ms Simpson said she was distressed at first by the note but later decided to speak out.

“Nasty notes and judgments have never solved anyone’s problems, but random acts of kindness can and do change lives and build communities,” she said.

I thought I’m not going to let this person do that to me. I don’t like the idea of ‘shoot first, ask questions later’.”

The disability services carer took two and a half years off from work to deal with her broken bones, surgery and other conditions.

She returned to work about a year ago but said her doctor was still investigating the underlying cause of her constant tiredness.

“I find I can just be exhausted after a stint of work,” she said.

“I used to feel like a very young 59-year-old. Now I feel like I’m nearly 70 or so.”

Although a family friend came to clean up the garden, she said she hasn’t been able to maintain it.

“I’ve been so tired and weeds have a habit of returning.”

In a response to the anonymous letter writer, which she intends to distribute among her neighbours, Ms Simpson wrote “after recovery one of my first priorities is my garden”.

“Until that time, if you are passing my house with a nasty note to deliver (which most people aren’t) put down your poison pen … and lend a hand.”

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Blimey hows this for neighbours
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:43am

Sad situation and kudos to her for speaking up about her circumstances.

I think it's fair to say that potentially helpful people may have been put off making an initial approach, as good intentions may result in being told to butt out, my yard is none of your business.  Doesn't excuse the nasty anonymous note- a cowardly act.

Reckon there will now be many offers to pitch in and help out.   

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:07pm

that is just awful and how could you do that - terrible neighbor- living next door to people and know nothing about them- my neighbors are snobby and I try to be neighborly- I warned her there was a snake getting around our yards because she had a child and a dog- but  really not even a thanks- you should try to get on with your neighbors because when you go out of town your neighbor is most likely the ony one hwo will hear or see your house being burgled or will call the fire station if-  needed

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:20pm

It is in the Teletrash so take it with a grain of salt!

Just saying!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 4:10pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 12:20pm:
It is in the Teletrash so take it with a grain of salt!

Just saying!

there is a pic of the lady holding the note....if someone normally looks after their yard   then it could be worth a knock on the door to see if they are ok... look at that women who had been dead for 8 years and no one looked for her...... are we zombies or what?

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:34pm

I wouldn't want to live next door to a mess like that, but I wouldn't drop a poison pen letter in her letter box either.  She dresses well and has impeccably groomed dogs - I find it hard to believe that she can't do anything about her property.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:42pm

Wolseley wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:34pm:
I wouldn't want to live next door to a mess like that, but I wouldn't drop a poison pen letter in her letter box either.  She dresses well and has impeccably groomed dogs - I find it hard to believe that she can't do anything about her property.

Her garden is bit over grown yes but hardly a very bad mess- most likely she just cannot keep on top of it anymore- and a high maitenence garden can be a too much for some- she looks like a lovely lady to me but she didnt deserve that response from her nasty nosey neighbor have been a bit more caring- my yard is very big- and a pain in the bum

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:10pm

Agnes wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 10:42pm:
Her garden is bit over grown yes but hardly a very bad mess

Given that the writer of the article seems to be sympathetic towards the woman, I would imagine that the photographs were taken so they portrayed her in the best possible light.  One of the anonymous letter's main points in the letter was that the footpath was overgrown.  There was no photograph of the footpath.  Given that she piles up garbage on her front veranda, I would expect that the place is an eyesore.

Even, in a worst case scenario, if the place is rat infested, it still doesn't justify dropping an abusive anonymous letter in her letter box.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:39am

Wolseley wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:10pm:

Given that the writer of the article seems to be sympathetic towards the woman, I would imagine that the photographs were taken so they portrayed her in the best possible light.  One of the anonymous letter's main points in the letter was that the footpath was overgrown.  There was no photograph of the footpath.  Given that she piles up garbage on her front veranda, I would expect that the place is an eyesore.

Even, in a worst case scenario, if the place is rat infested, it still doesn't justify dropping an abusive anonymous letter in her letter box.

it doesnt justify no one taking an interest enough to offer a helping hand either...
I think thats what shocks me more than anything....people do drop anonymous letters in boxes.....lets face it   who knows their dog is barking whilst they are out.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes...my son had a rooster... and got one... Grin Grin..
lets hope there is a sequel and the lady gets help  and the person that wrote the note comes forward with their lawn mower.... Smiley Smiley

happy ending!

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:32pm

I can't help feeling that there's more to this story than we are being told.  We are only getting one side of it.  Any half competent journalist would have talked to the neighbours as well to find out exactly what was happening.  Maybe there's a reason that she isn't getting offers of help.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:39pm

Wolseley wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:32pm:
I can't help feeling that there's more to this story than we are being told.  We are only getting one side of it.  Any half competent journalist would have talked to the neighbours as well to find out exactly what was happening.  Maybe there's a reason that she isn't getting offers of help.

I cant think of what that would be Wol- but as cods said there should be a happy ending - the lady looks like a lovely soul and she should have a man come in and trom her hedge every once in while  Wink she looks like she wouldnt do very well with heavy yard work- I am fit and stubborn I do my yard but that is me-

some neighbors are actual bastards the ones on my right are-
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:47pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:43pm

Agnes wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 11:39pm:
Wolseley wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 10:32pm:

I cant think of what that would be Wol- but as cods said there should be a happy ending - the lady looks like a lovely soul and she should have a man come in and trom her hedge every once in while  Wink she looks like she wouldnt do very well with heavy yard work- I am fit and stubborn I do my yard but that is me-

some neighbors are actual bastards the ones on my right are-

Forgive my scepticism but, back in the mid 1960s, we had a neighbour who for some reason we could never figure out, took an instant dislike to us.  She would shout abuse at us over the back fence, spread stories among the other neighbours about how we were treating her as a neighbour (none of which were true although at first I think that some of the other neighbours believed her).  She used to telephone us very late at night (usually two or three times a week) and, when we answered the phone, ask for someone else and then say it was a wrong number - she never said who was calling, but we recognised her voice.  The garden (which was neat and tidy although not particularly attractive) degenerated into an overgrown mess after she moved in, although her son would come and cut it occasionally.

Fortunately for us, she was only renting, and her lease was not renewed at the end of the year.

She was pretty much the neighbour from hell, but she presented herself (initially quite successfully) as the victim of abuse.

I am not saying that Ms Simpson has fabricated any or all of her story but, until someone else comes forward to corroborate what she has said, I am not prepared to accept it as fact.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:02pm

the neighbor of which you speak Wol- would be an exception to the rule and might have had an issue of a medical nature in her life-who knows what the true story - but if the offended neighbor had used a different method rather than try to humiliate her then none of this would have happened- if they had had a cup of tea with her and tried to be neigborly- sounds like they lived in the area as neighbors for quiite a while but never actually spoken to her- and the fact that she called the media makes  me think this is not the first time these pp have been mean to her- this lady was angry and hurt to call the media in on this nasty little dig at her- it was cowardly and mean to leave a poison pen letter in her letterbox - i detect a feel off this lady being bullied here- and she is hurt and dissapointed at these actions- and she looks perfectly sane to me-  a gentle soul- she called the nasty neighbor out in her own way- good on her
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:11pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:10pm

"I am not saying that Ms Simpson has fabricated any or all of her story but, until someone else comes forward to corroborate what she has said, I am not prepared to accept it as fact."

Perhaps there'll be a follow up article in the next local community Leader newspaper.  I'll check it out next week.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #14 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 9:13pm

cods wrote on Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:39am:
Wolseley wrote on Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:10pm:

it doesnt justify no one taking an interest enough to offer a helping hand either...
I think thats what shocks me more than anything....people do drop anonymous letters in boxes.....lets face it   who knows their dog is barking whilst they are out.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes...my son had a rooster... and got one... Grin Grin..
lets hope there is a sequel and the lady gets help  and the person that wrote the note comes forward with their lawn mower.... Smiley Smiley

happy ending!

yes indeed perfect resolution

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print