Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outback Aborigines on Work-for-the-Dole. (Read 1125 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Outback Aborigines on Work-for-the-Dole.
Sep 30th, 2017 at 6:57am

A bit of a discussion going on now.

What to think?

"The Men's shed making a difference

In Santa Teresa, participants can choose between five different activities.

One involves tending to the community garden. Another is cooking as part of the Terrific Tucker program.

And on the outskirts of town, beyond its 100 or so houses, an old power station has been converted into a men's shed"

""This would be one of our better attended activities, and it's about 70 per cent attendance," Mr McKinley said.

"They can work at their own pace, and they can develop their own projects that they want to do."

link

The fellow who turns an old pallet into a beautiful piece of work that's a lacquered bench. That's the sort of Pride of Achievement that makes the work-for-the-dole scheme out there a positive for himself and the community.

There's nothing more true than that "the Devil makes use of idle hands" ... it's better these lads are doing things creative and prideful than that they're sniffing petrol or in jail.

What the government needs to do is spend the money to set up small but efficient factories in these remote communities where products can be made to be collected by truck and sold in the towns. Every big city should have a designated warehouse which is filled exclusively with artifacts and various products produced in remote communities where people can wander through and shop as we do with the large Salvo warehouses.

The young fellow who made the bench should know his creation is off to the city to be sold as valuable to someone, and he should receive a financial reward for that. 

The problem with the work-for-the-dole scheme in these outback communities is that there's no outlet for what they produce. Stuff piles up in their own little communities that never gets shifted out to shops in the towns and cities, and after awhile the sheer inertia of it all would start to work negatively on their sense of motivation.

We've got idiots in Canberra spending $120 million on SSM with meanwhile positive improvements to these outback communities need funding and planning.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:04am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Outback Aborigines on Work-for-the-Dole.
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:31am

I like they way your thinking sir. Great idea.
Unfortunately living in this disguised communist land we will never get good activities like this past becuase there are more pressing issues at hand, apparently.  Grin........unless it's funded privately, even then I reckon you would be shut down.

Our caring gov doesn't care about us.
We need a reveloution.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:39am

Captain Caveman wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:31am:
I like they way your thinking sir. Great idea.
Unfortunately living in this disguised communist land we will never get good activities like this past becuase there are more pressing issues at hand, apparently.  Grin........unless it's funded privately, even then I reckon you would be shut down.

Our caring gov doesn't care about us.
We need a reveloution.

A revolution ~ most definitely.

There's something systemically very wrong with the government in Canberra.

Like a computer's confused and chaotic hard-drive the whole political class down there needs a *clean-install to be replaced by a whole new system and a whole new type of person.

*Clean Install. A clean install is an operating system (OS) installation that overwrites all other content on the hard disk. A clean install removes the current operating system and user files during the installation process.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 7:53am

What sort of items could small factory/workshops in Outback aboriginal communities produce for sale in designated warehouse stores in the big cities?

Almost too numerous to mention.

Trouser belts with buckles
Work-gloves
Shoe-laces
Hats and caps
Cat and dog collars
Clothes pegs
Pillow-cases
Kitchenware
laundry baskets
Plastics goods
Paper of all kinds
Leather goods
Metal-work
Fishing rods
Painted artwork
Ornamental woodwork

It's only limited by one's imagination.

What I would strongly counsel against is that everything must look like an Aboriginal souvenir. Yes, have that as a line of product, certainly, but otherwise keep the artifacts and products 'neutral' of Identity Politics.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 10:36am

I have a new job working with one of these groups, start Monday.

Will keep you posted on progress if you wish.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 11:50am

miketrees wrote on Sep 30th, 2017 at 10:36am:
I have a new job working with one of these groups, start Monday.

Will keep you posted on progress if you wish.

Good luck with that.

The authorities must stop these schemes from being so inward-focussed and incestuous. Get their product out there into mainstream Australia.

And for Christ sake not always dot paintings and boomerangs. (So okay, I've had a dot painting on a black cloth background hanging in my lounge-room for yonkers now).  Tongue

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:50pm

The authorities must stop these schemes from being so inward-focussed and incestuous. Get their product out there into mainstream Australia.

OK, a week on.

The group I am working with are doing a range of activities in search of viable options.

They are doing a great job with the WFTD people producing fantastic produce for a town that has bugger all other retail outlets, and the food price for the tiny bit of stuff available is astronomical.
So we have good fresh produce, year round.

The best thing is we have a hort crop, grown on winter rain that is the best product I have ever seen.
We are going to bulk up our planted area and our product will be produced at a profit,,, and will create real jobs.
So that is one winner, we are still searching for more.
I have thrown in a few ideas for our project manager to look at.

There will be disasters, with these schemes, but there is also the chance of some winners.

The veg growing enterprise has been in operation for 25 years now and its still going OK.

The team of people working there seem pretty happy.

I would say overall its worthwhile.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:56pm

What are they going to do?  Count kangaroos?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:57pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:50pm:

OK, a week on.

The group I am working with are doing a range of activities in search of viable options.

They are doing a great job with the WFTD people producing fantastic produce for a town that has bugger all other retail outlets, and the food price for the tiny bit of stuff available is astronomical.
So we have good fresh produce, year round.

The best thing is we have a hort crop, grown on winter rain that is the best product I have ever seen.
We are going to bulk up our planted area and our product will be produced at a profit,,, and will create real jobs.
So that is one winner, we are still searching for more.
I have thrown in a few ideas for our project manager to look at.

There will be disasters, with these schemes, but there is also the chance of some winners.

The veg growing enterprise has been in operation for 25 years now and its still going OK.

The team of people working there seem pretty happy.

I would say overall its worthwhile.

mike even if it doesnt work out   you tried... we have to keep plugging away to give people a reason for being.. and work is one of those reasons....

get in and have a go   well done...you will get so much satisfaction from this..

this is what we lack today... satisfaction...even food has no smell or taste..I do hope you keep the smell alive  whatever we are doing today with farming    our food is losing something....maybe its the pesticide I dont know.. but something is sucking all the taste and smell out...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 5:59pm

herb get off your bum and start something stop wanting the govt to do everything for us....

gawd you are still able....have a go....

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:00pm

Well that is a job that gets done by some government department,,, they do it with planes, no reason that could not be contracted out.

Not what we are doing tho.

I am keeping quiet on our hort product until we have a shirt load of it and do an organised marketing for it.

Just like any commercial grower I dont want other people going into competition for a while.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:06pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:00pm:

Well that is a job that gets done by some government department,,, they do it with planes, no reason that could not be contracted out.

Not what we are doing tho.

I am keeping quiet on our hort product until we have a shirt load of it and do an organised marketing for it.

Just like any commercial grower I dont want other people going into competition for a while.

what about bamboo mike....an awful lot of uses for that now and it grows so fast..

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:09pm

this is what we lack today... satisfaction...even food has no smell or taste

Well Cods our tomatoes taste like tomatoes, they are fantastic.

We are growing lettuce, zucchini, tomato, broccoli,silver beet,cabbage,snow peas.

As we come into warmer weather we are planting Eggplant, capsicum, more tomato,beans,cucumber, more that I forget already
We have another site growing melons outside of the hothouse.
We are developing a range of bush tuckers,,, lots of work to be done there to find viable ones for our sites.

In the past one of the managers grew flowers, and they sold quite well,,,, must get back into that.

I also think our site may be warm enough to grow a decent flavoured pepino, going to trial that this summer.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 6:13pm

what about bamboo mike....an awful lot of uses for that now and it grows so fast.

We dont have enough summer water for them, plus it would grow so much better further north.

I did recommend that to a mining company that had shirt loads of good quality water from mine dewatering near Broome.
I think they have gone for hay instead since cattle is worth money these days

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print