Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can't say 'marriage' at Uni (Read 1655 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Can't say 'marriage' at Uni
Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:41pm

And thus it begins.

UNSW lecturer discouraged use of the term 'marriage' in mathematics theorem

"That lecturer advised that we not refer to the theorem by that name in the assignment."

"The reason why was because the canonical example has homophobic implications, at least in her eyes,' he added.

Fourth year UNSW honours student Sean Lynch said his lecturer did not want to use the term "marriage" when referring to a theory proved by English mathematician Phillip Hall in 1935.

A lecturer is reported to have asked students not to use the word "marriage" in Hall's Marriage Theorem when using the longstanding example of pairing a number of men and women to represent different variable sets.

"In that course it was communicated to me that Hall's marriage theorem was offensive," Mr Lynch claimed on Sky News.

UNSW honours student Sean Lynch claimed he was told not to use the word 'Marriage' when referring to a mathematics theory.

A UNSW spokesperson said there were concerns within the mathematical community the theory would isolate some groups, but have reached out to the students to address concerns.

"The concern in the UNSW mathematical community was that the traditional narrative for presenting Hall's Theorem - sometimes known as the Marriage Theorem - might isolate some groups,' a spokesperson told SBS World News.

"We understand that this suggestion has upset some students and we are in contact with the students involved to address their concerns."

Mr Lynch said same-sex marriage was never specifically mentioned in the comments from the lecturer.

Sean Lynch holds no bad feelings towards the department and hopes to possibly move into academia in the future.

Another student was reportedly given similar written feedback when they had their assignment marked by a staff member.

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Can't say 'marriage' at Uni
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:42pm

IBI

IP Logged

FraudulentAFL

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:14pm

This is crazy: institutionalising sodomy is the end of Western Civilisation and retards are actually saying ok to it  Roll Eyes

People actually died for the right to examine consequences in a democracy and now the fascist feminazis have taken over the airwaves and the universities and told us that democracy is no longer is allowed....

...and people listen to it  Shocked

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:20pm

And they'll get away with it.
Can't stop them now.
The die is cast.
It's all downhill from now on, with the Gays and the Rednecks playing off each other to exploit what they can from everyone else.

Ever feel like a Ping Pong Ball?  Tongue

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:24pm

Reading the response from the 'university' - one of my alma maters, BTW - I really have to wonder what they are using for balls and brains these days.

'might isolate certain groups' - who gives a fig?  If those tiny groups choose to self-isolate - they are always welcome to seek counselling... but the - that could be a retrograde step given the standards in play these days.

Many of these 'academics' need their heads read, for certain....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:46pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:20pm:

... ejected from the snatch of a Filipino sex worker, you mean ?

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:49pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:46pm:
Jasin wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:20pm:

I left more than my mouth open with that one. Lol

No - between two paddles in a game.

Gays & Rednecks are trying to tear this country apart between the two of them.
It's not good and I can see this country getting worse because of it. Look at Sydney for starters and how it has deteriorated. More will follow.

Our lucky country, etc - is done and dusted.
The Orcs are on our doorstep.

... ejected from the snatch of a Filipino sex worker, you mean ?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:54pm

I wonder how she will address a non person if she gets one..

no him or her allowed...either...  it also has homophobic implications... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

maybe they will do away with anything appertaining to males marrying females before long . as it all seems rather dirty all of a sudden..

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:38am

The world has reached the Lemming stage.

That time in an animals cycle where over breeding has resulted in inadequate resources and nature decides to eliminate a percentage of it to balance things.

In humans, running off a cliff is not possible, as we are sentenent.

So instead nature attacks the brain and is making a percentage of humans mentally deficient believing that same sex is normal.

This prevents procreation and the population deminishes accordingly.

Yep good old nature, always finds a way

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:22am

This article has made up my mind to vote no as a vote against SJWs.

IBI

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:48am

Yes our Uni's are a breeding ground for stupidity.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:38am

Its also referred to as Halls theorem, therefore theres no need for the term marriage in it.

Not sure about the other excuse though.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:51am

You also have to understand hall's theorem and its applications and background.  It is designed to prove that given number of women and men can be happily married if certain conditions are met.   The background of the theorem is that it is created in 1935. 

Society have changed. 

Right now, people can just be as happy in a de facto, or a marriage like relationship.  And so, the application of marriage is different. 

Plus, the introduction of same sex marriage, will invalidate this theorem.  And therefore, a new theorem will have to take its place.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:52am

But it was in the daily mail, so it must be true.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 1:57pm

tickleandrose wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:51am:
You also have to understand hall's theorem and its applications and background.  It is designed to prove that given number of women and men can be happily married if certain conditions are met.   The background of the theorem is that it is created in 1935. 

Society have changed. 

Right now, people can just be as happy in a de facto, or a marriage like relationship.  And so, the application of marriage is different. 

Plus, the introduction of same sex marriage, will invalidate this theorem.  And therefore, a new theorem will have to take its place. 

Not particularly relevant when that is the theorem under discussion - if the 'lecturer' wanted to discuss changes then it is appropriate to discuss a different or new theorem - but it is not fair to criticise a student for discussing that theorem as it is.

What is this person doing being a lecturer if they are illogical and irrational?

Oh... sorry .... she's giving a womanswer........... back in the old days it would have been a romeanswer.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print