Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"Political Correctness" for dummies (Read 1545 times)
kwarie

Australian Politics

"Political Correctness" for dummies
Sep 25th, 2017 at 1:31am

Hi all! I've lived and worked in Australia only for a relatively short time, but I like following and trying to understand the local social and political problems, and possibly forming an opinion on them. In the country/language where I come from there's not a real equivalent for the concept of "political correctness" (PC), and I haven't been able to find anybody, or read anything, that could really explain me what that means in a sufficiently unambiguous way. In particular, I haven't understood whether PC is something enforced by some particular laws or regulations, or it's only the name of a style in which (a perceived majority of?) politicians, or people in general, appeart to tend (or feel obliged) to publicly express their opinions. In the former case, I'd really appreciate if somebody could point me to the laws that define the term.

Thank you Smiley

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: "Political Correctness" for dummies
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 11:50pm

Gweggy's back  Grin

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

kwarie

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 8:16pm

Hi Lisa, that was my first post here, but I guess this wasn't the right place to ask that question, sorry for the noise, all the best...

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 9:25pm

In the beginning, political correctness was a systematic approach to courteous, professional communication in the workplace. Now it's all about jumping on people for the most contrived reasons.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2017 at 11:52pm by Mr Hammer »  

IP Logged

kwarie

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:43pm

I see, so it's not anything legally enforced, that helps, cheers.

I'd like to keep this thread neutral and as objective as possible, I'm not interested in discussing whether PC is "good" or "bad" since there are innumerable articles and discussions about that all over the place (which is what got me interested in the first place).

Do you think it is accurate enough to say that PC advocates would like public expressions of opinions to be partially self-censored or even censored by the media to avoid offending certain categories of people, while PC opponents feel that they aren't free to express their opinions because the media are censoring them, or perhaps they even think that politically-correct people are actually often "hypocritically" concealing their real ideas and should be more outspoken?

In short, what does each side want ultimately? I read and hear PC opponents calling for a reduction or perhaps suppression of PC, but since it's not a legal requirement which doesn't even have a clear definition, I still don't understand what those demands really mean. Isn't everybody already free to express their opinions to full extent?

By "jumping on people" do you mean that PC supporters tend to tell politically-incorrect people to just "watch their mouth" without actually providing counterarguments, or is it that PC opponents feel "jumped on", but actually have more difficulty accepting and responding to counter criticism (and thus actually end up being the ones who feel "unfairly" treated)?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:55pm

I think the idea of political correcrness originally was noble in it's  aims. For instance, a woman shouldn't have to be around pictures of naked women on the walls. I think everyone gets that. It's now largely about people scandalising their enemies for garbage reasons because they know, deep down, they can't compete on a level playing field.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:33am

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:55pm:
I think the idea of political correcrness originally was noble in it's  aims. For instance, a woman shouldn't have to be around pictures of naked women on the walls. I think everyone gets that. It's now largely about people scandalising their enemies for garbage reasons because they know, deep down, they can't compete on a level playing field.

Too true
It had noble roots, but has been hijacked by self serving incompetents looking for an easy way.
It has been used as a weapon by those who see no other way to manipulate their way yhrough life.
It has become the shield behind which people we really should not have in our country manage to stay and punish us for helping them.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 5:56am

Respect. Treating people as if they were you.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:06am

Talking about assassinating people on an Internet forum. That sort of thing?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:19am

No. That's called debating, so sparking people into breaking out of a cycle of fear.

Political correctness is the result of valuing a three dimensional concept.

One point being a Bastard, one point being like Gay Jesus, and the third ~ the space in between.

This is why PC is left wing, because Gay Jesus was left wing, and Political Correctness means attempting to live a similar life.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:43am

Is talking about assassinating someone you've never met more towards Gay Jesus or Bastard?

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 7:53am

I recommend you education yourself on the meaning of a question mark at the end of a sentence. If you don't understand, then perhaps you could ask on that thread.

I am always surprised how some posters carry grudges from losing debates into new threads, so undermining the new one.

This thread has potential to educate the wider audience. Political correctness was named so by the conservatives, so to divert attention away from it's leftwing Gay Jesus centre.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:37am

A question mark! Wwweeelllllll! That changes everything!
Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:59am

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 27th, 2017 at 10:37am:
A question mark! Wwweeelllllll! That changes everything!
Shocked Shocked Shocked

god your a dummy hammer....everyone knows that..

btw PC is not for the faint hearted.....

its like being the first man to walk in the wilderness  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

in other words a minefield...no it isnt law enforced.. YET..

but certain words are being disappeared from our vocabulary almost daily....words like

Christmas.
Black
female
male
the list on forms for sex evaluation is getting longer by the day...

its driven by the control freaks  who need to have the last word.... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 11:06am

Its simple.

Some people are bullies, and they take pleasure in other people's misery by way of discrimination.

And when the other people decided enough is enough, and changed the law to say such discrimination is no longer acceptable to society.

The bullies then complained that its political correctness gone too far.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print