Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Are attacks on the LGBTI community "long gone" (Read 3041 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Are attacks on the LGBTI community "long gone"
Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:17am

Are attacks on the LGBTI community actually 'long gone'?

Former prime minister Tony Abbott, who was "headbutted" by a man wearing a "Vote Yes" badge last night, has said attacks on the LGBTI community were "long gone".

So are there less attacks on the LGBTI community than before?

If you or anyone you know needs help:

This week, Mr Abbott told Macquarie Radio that things had improved for the LGBTI community.

"So you want to understand the position others might have been in, but the days when we were cruel to people on the basis of their sexuality, I think have long gone," he said.

"And that's why I think the nastiness in this debate is so unfortunate.

So, is he right?

Brisbane LGBTIQ Action Group convenor Phil Browne said he first wanted to condemn the attack on the former prime minister.

"The first thing that I want to say is that the is absolutely no place for violence, from either side," Mr Browne said.

"(LGBTIQ people) have had a lot of verbal abuse and on occasion physical violence, not only over the marriage equality debate but just over their very existence.

"Unfortunately there is still a lot of prejudice and discrimination directed toward LGBTIQ people.

"And sadly this is reflected in a suicide rate, that according to a previous Australian Human Rights report, was 3.5 to 14 times higher than the general population…"

He said the community was still on the receiving end of discrimination, which sometimes culminated in violence.

"For example people calling out bugger*t in the street, that certainly does still occur and on occasion that does extend to physical violence sadly."

Mr Brown said it was hard to tell statistically whether violence had decreased against the LGBTI community, with many attacks of violence and abuse not reported to police.

"I would say that the reasons behind that are very complex and have a lot to do with our past legal situation," he said.

"It was only until 1991 that in Queensland people did serve jail time for having sex with the person they loved in the privacy of their own home.

"But that lack of reporting of violence comes largely from a place of fear and fear of being given inferior treatment.

"And when you look at the history books and see the harsher repercussions that people had to live with, and you see the impact that's had on real people's lives, you can understand why there has been a reluctance to report violence."

'I was 19 and absolutely terrified'

Mich, 27, told the ABC an experience she had almost a decade ago still leaves her shaken.

"Homophobic violence is something I've experienced verbally since I was young — generally snide comments or constant 'please don't be gay at work' were just the reality of growing up queer in Brisbane," she said.

"I had the privilege to work for LGBTI organisation QAHC [The Queensland AIDS Council] years ago — a role I was super proud of that took me to wonderful locations to interview the fellow queer community.

"One night I was stationed at the opening night of a gay-friendly bar on the Gold Coast. I was so excited.

"However that excitement quickly turned to fear when I hopped out of my car and starting walking to the club.

"A car full of young men pulled up beside and starting screaming, 'you are such a fat, ugly dyke. Get the f**k out of our city, dyke. God, you're so f***ing fat and ugly'.

"I was 19 and absolutely terrified. It was a quiet street and badly lit. I quickened my pace and then I thought I heard a car door opening. I was frozen but my body was moving me to safety.

"I know anything I could have said in my defence would have escalated the situation.

"I've never returned to the Gold Coast at night again. I replay that night in my head over and over whenever I'm walking alone at night — 'just keep your head down and make yourself invisible'."

Brisbane man attacked for first time recently

Dan, 37, told the ABC he and a friend were eating food after a night out in Brisbane when they were attacked, which was the first time he'd ever experienced homophobic violence.

"Nothing physically [violent] until last month," he said.

"[I] had a group of guys that just started yelling at me and a girlfriend of mine, calling me a bugger*t.

"And my friend told them to stop and shut up and then they started hitting us."

He said ended up in hospital with a nose that wouldn't stop bleeding, but he didn't report the incident to police.

What does the research say?

A study from the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society at La Trobe University in 2012 found 18 per cent of young LGBTI people had experienced physical homophobic abuse and 61 per cent had experienced verbal homophobic abuse.

Nine per cent had experienced other types of homophobia including cyberbullying, graffiti, social exclusion and humiliation.

The study also found almost half of all gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people hide their sexual orientation or gender identity in public for fear of violence or discrimination.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:24am by mothra »  

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Are attacks on the LGBTI community "long gone"
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:18am

How about overseas?

In the UK, attacks on LGBTI people have surged by almost 80 per cent, according a recent to data report released by charity Stonewall.

The report found four out of five who had experienced a hate crime in the past 12 months did not report it to police.

In the United States, a report title Hate Crimes and Violence Against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People from 2009 found in 2007 alone 1,265 LGB-biased crimes were reported to the FBI, which was a six per cent increase from the year before.

So, how can things get better?

Mr Browne said there was certainly more effort from the policing side of things to improve relationships between the community and police.

That included Queensland Police taking part in the Brisbane Pride festival this weekend.

"The police LGBTI liaison officers … must be highly praised for trying to build bridges and restore trust within the community," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-22/ssm-attacks-on-the-lgbti-community/8974524...
« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:24am by mothra »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:57am

I work with two openly gay people, and they don't seem too concerned about gay bashings. Assaults in Australia are so common that police are dismissive about them getting into courts. I do believe that gay people are bashed more than heterosexual people in terms of percentages. But I don't think that the number of assault would indicate a fierce defiance of homosexuality.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 2:14am

UnSubRocky wrote on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 1:57am:
I work with two openly gay people, and they don't seem too concerned about gay bashings. Assaults in Australia are so common that police are dismissive about them getting into courts. I do believe that gay people are bashed more than heterosexual people in terms of percentages. But I don't think that the number of assault would indicate a fierce defiance of homosexuality.

A study from the Australian Research Centre in Sex, Health and Society at La Trobe University in 2012 found 18 per cent of young LGBTI people had experienced physical homophobic abuse and 61 per cent had experienced verbal homophobic abuse.

Nine per cent had experienced other types of homophobia including cyberbullying, graffiti, social exclusion and humiliation.

The study also found almost half of all gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people hide their sexual orientation or gender identity in public for fear of violence or discrimination.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 6:27am

And how long have they been the Alphabet community?

And growing .......only half a dozen letters left.... step up get your letter before they're all gone.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 6:55am

Tony Abbott, being gay, he would know.

Tony Abbott, on why he left the priesthood
http://nofibs.com.au/tony-abbott-on-why-he-left-the-priesthood/

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 7:07am

"NEGATIVES VOTE NEGATIVELY"

So what are the positives in the matter?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 7:12am

Marriage equality, like all women voting, these are positives.

Positives vote Yes.
Negatives reject Equality.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 7:47am

Tony Abbott, who was "headbutted" by a man wearing a"Vote Yes" badge last night, has said attacks on the LGBTI community were "long gone".

It is better than it was in the 60's and 70's but far from gone.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 8:23am

mothra wrote on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 2:14am:

Welcome to the real world, not like kindergarten, is it?  Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 8:43am

Quote:
Are attacks on the LGBTI community actually 'long gone'?

The days of picking on gays maybe gone BUT gays have some of the highest rates of domestic violence out of any group.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/domestic-violence-a-silent-epidemic-in-gay-relationshi...

Domestic Violence Likely More Frequent for Same-Sex Couples

https://news.northwestern.edu/stories/2014/09/domestic-violence-likely-more-freq...

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0092623X.2014.958792#.VBcZZPldV74

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 8:50am

Please offer a list of 'attacks' on the LGBTI community as a whole .... restrict your posting to attacks and not simple disagreement, indifference, or refutal of some LGBTI scared cow.

There are as many 'attacks' on the LGBTI community in Australia as there are on the Muslim community - i.e. NONE.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 8:57am

'Domestic Violence' has always been higher between gays, and especially lesbians, than any number of direct attacks by non-gays.  That has been the reality for years, so stop abusing the figures.

Citing a suicide rate from a group that many say has a mental illness is hardly a comment on society as a whole, and without a clear list of their 'reasons' for suicide, no comment is applicable.

Name-calling - WOW!!  After what I've seen here?

Gay bashing is a rare event compared to a quiet Saturday night in George Street, and I sincerely doubt police ignore it any more than countless other assaults.

As an example, once I had to report a stolen licenced pistol from my home while I was out working all night - the cop shrugged and said :-  "We get 2000 break-ins a week here."

When petty fights are so common, the cops only go after the bad ones.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 9:35am

Here's something interesting, the biggest spike in gay bashings in Sydney occurred when the Lebbo gangs started frequenting the Oxford St nightclubs.

My wife's  brother in laws gay brother in Holland wants to immigrate to Australia because homophobic violence is now rampant..by guess who.....

April 3, 2017

And then suddenly there was a group of six to eight Moroccan youths. Before I knew it I was on the ground fighting with three men on top of me.’ The leading Dutch gay rights organisation, the COC, called for the new coalition to take measures, including tougher prison sentences, to tackle the rising frequency of homophobic attacks.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2017/04/coc-calls-for-action-against-risin...

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 23rd, 2017 at 9:50am

Dnarever wrote on Sep 23rd, 2017 at 7:47am:
Tony Abbott, who was "headbutted" by a man wearing a"Vote Yes" badge last night, has said attacks on the LGBTI community were "long gone".

It is better than it was in the 60's and 70's but far from gone.

attacks on any "group"   are not gone   anywhere in the world....humans are violent b y there very nature....

hetro slobs  dare I call them that are afraid of gay men   they see them as an affront to their maleness.....

once upon a time  males bonding with other males was the norm.....greek and roman history tells us that...

we dont see hetro females bashing lesbians  do we??>. well I havent...

so it is a male thing....[sadly].I think..

sadly these   divided groups are getting noisier...and that in itself attracts violence.......

I thought the guy who headbutted Abbott looks and talks very gay though he claims he isnt.....he is also full of HATE...

so I dont think any group would like to claim him as one of their own??..

I could of course be mistaken Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print