Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Why has the Kalashnikov been so successful? (Read 6233 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Why has the Kalashnikov been so successful?
Reply #15 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:33am

So pound for pound, the Kalashnikov has been the most successful gun of all time?
If not, then which is?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:47am

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:19pm:
I've fired a .303 when I was in the school's Army Cadets - and the recoil bruised my shoulder for a month.

Obviously you weren't holding it correctly. I found it a well balanced gun. The SLR not so much.

Very poor design for those poor buggers who had to carry the absurd weight of these Enfield bad boys across Continental Europe and fire them against their shoulder.

The Lee-Enfield weighed 8.8lbs, 4Kg, the SLR weighed 4kg both unloaded.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:54am

I'm just asking because if I have to go to the USA, the first thing I will be doing is buying a gun.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:04pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:54am:
I'm just asking because if I have to go to the USA, the first thing I will be doing is buying a gun.

Then you would  need a green card, I think.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #19 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:06pm

Cost effective, reliable in all conditions, and performance........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #20 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:08pm

As a visitor you WILL NOT be able to legally buy a gun, and if you buy one illegally, how will you get it out of the country?

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:12pm

Fuzzball wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:08pm:

As a visitor you WILL NOT be able to legally buy a gun, and if you buy one illegally, how will you get it out of the country?

I wasn't going to buy one legally, nor would I need to bring it back here etc. I would probably just give it to someone for free. I'm sure there are many selling guns on the side of the road, just outside of the gun shop.
I could go up to a Drug Dealer, get him to get me a gun I want - give him the money, shoot him - get my money back and live a nice and secure stay in the USA until I have to leave again.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #22 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:16pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:12pm:

I wasn't going to buy one legally, nor would I need to bring it back here etc. I would probably just give it to someone for free. I'm sure there are many selling guns on the side of the road, just outside of the gun shop.
I could go up to a Drug Dealer, get him to get me a gun I want - give him the money, shoot him - get my money back and live a nice and secure stay in the USA until I have to leave again.

Idiot.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:19pm

Fuzzball wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:16pm:

Idiot.

I know. That's why I joined the Medical Industry and not the Military, let alone hope I never have to go to the USA - I would just shoot people out of self-defence there ...afterall, that's what they do with guns there isn't it - shoot people?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #24 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:27pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:19pm:
Fuzzball wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:16pm:

Idiot.

I know. That's why I joined the Medical Industry and not the Military, let alone hope I never have to go to the USA - I would just shoot people out of self-defence there ...afterall, that's what they do with guns there isn't it - shoot people?

Some times they just shake hands and say hello to each other. But you are right is mostly shooting.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #25 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:30pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 4:02pm:
As much as I enjoyed firing the L1a1, BigOl64 it was not to me, the epitome of mechanical engineering.   The .303in SMLE Mk.III* was.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1000/817fb/product_images/uploaded_images/1ref...

Simple, effective and deadly accurate.

We did keep the various models of SMLE in service for many decades and it did serve us well during that time for sure.

Less parts, less to go wrong, but not as much fun.  Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:40pm

As much as I enjoyed firing the L1a1, BigOl64 it was not to me, the epitome of mechanical engineering.   The .303in SMLE Mk.III* was.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1000/817fb/product_images/uploaded_images/1ref...

I've fired a .303 when I was in the school's Army Cadets - and the recoil bruised my shoulder for a month.

Very poor design for those poor buggers who had to carry the absurd weight of these Enfield bad boys across Continental Europe and fire them against their shoulder.

1) You were not holding the weapon correctly if the recoil hurt you.
2) The men and women who carried it across the world (not just Europe) were taught how to hold and fire it correctly.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #27 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:44pm

lee wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 11:47am:

Obviously you weren't holding it correctly. I found it a well balanced gun. The SLR not so much.

The Lee-Enfield weighed 8.8lbs, 4Kg, the SLR weighed 4kg both unloaded.

Rifle, .303in, SMLE, Mk. III* - weight: 3.96 kg (8.73 lb) (Mk III) empty.
Rifle, L1a1, SLR - weight: 4.337 kg (9.56 lbs) empty.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #28 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 6:46pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:30pm:

We did keep the various models of SMLE in service for many decades and it did serve us well during that time for sure.

Less parts, less to go wrong, but not as much fun.  Smiley Smiley

Works in conditions that stop most other firearms from working.  Hits the target effectively at all ranges.  Kills the target.   What other fun is there to have?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 9:10pm

I spoke to a man who was a soldier in the desert war in WW2 against Rommel.
He said that they used the Lee-Enfield .303 to hit German vehicles from as far as a mile away.
It was a very good sniper rifle - at 500 yards an enemy soldier was a sitting duck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print