Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Why has the Kalashnikov been so successful? (Read 6234 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Why has the Kalashnikov been so successful?
Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:29pm

link

How was it such an improvement on the previous generation of assault rifles?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Why has the Kalashnikov been so successful?
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:34pm

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:47pm

https://www.wired.com/2010/11/ff_ak47/

The compact automatic rifle that Stalin’s engineers unveiled in 1947 didn’t look like much of a gun. The result of a secret design contest, its components were simple, inelegant, workmanlike. Its ammunition lacked the stopping power of other rifle cartridges. Its barrel was too short to achieve the range of standard infantry rifles. When the Pentagon finally got its hands

on a few of the weapons in the 1950s, officials scoffed. But from this unheralded beginning, the Soviet Union’s modest little gun—dubbed the Avtomat Kalashnikova-47—would become one of the most recognizable artifacts of the 20th century.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:19pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
link

It was simple and it was cheap, Herbie.   The AK-47 didn't last all that long in production, being surplanted by the AKM.  The AKM in turn was surplanted by the AK-74 in 5.56x39mm calibre. 

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:47pm:

The compact automatic rifle that Stalin’s engineers unveiled in 1947 didn’t look like much of a gun. The result of a secret design contest, its components were simple, inelegant, workmanlike. Its ammunition lacked the stopping power of other rifle cartridges. Its barrel was too short to achieve the range of standard infantry rifles. When the Pentagon finally got its hands on a few of the weapons in the 1950s, officials scoffed. But from this unheralded beginning, the Soviet Union’s modest little gun—dubbed the Avtomat Kalashnikova-47—would become one of the most recognizable artifacts of the 20th century.

Except production of the AK-47 in the fUSSR ceased in 1959 and it was replaced by the AKM which used a stamped recieved rather than a milled one, Bobby.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:33pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:29pm:
link

I don't think it's an improvement unless you consider it can be neglected and still work along with cheap to make.

The 7.62x39 ammo it uses is pissweak compared to the 7.62x51 ammo, the AK47 ammo uses a shorter  case (39mm) hence less powder which reduces velocity and power. There is a lot of bullet drop due to gravity resulting from lower muzzle velocities so it's not very accurate and the projectiles have poor ballistic coefficient so it's not a long range gun.The AK47 ammo has much less recoil so easier to fire.

The M1 Garand used a gas piston so nothing new with the AK47, the 7.62x63 ammo (30-06) is by far a better long range round with far greater stopping power compared to the 7.62x39.

Gas piston is the preferred method for operation it keeps the bolt carrier cleaner which means you don't have to clean it as often as the Direct Impingement system the M16 uses.The AK47 thrives on neglect where the DI system M16 can jam if not kept clean and well lubed.

The Aussie made L1A1 or SLR is a gas piston 7.62x51 and superior to the AK47 in every aspect.

The AK47 appeals to those who don't know anything about guns from shooting to maintaining them, a very ordinary gun.

This is much better than the AK47-

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:14am

Wasn't it because it was both cheap and easily accessible to obtain via the black markets, etc?
The Betachord was far superior to VHS - but 'marketing' made the lesser product more popular.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:35am

Jasin wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:14am:
Wasn't it because it was both cheap and easily accessible to obtain via the black markets, etc?
The Betachord was far superior to VHS - but 'marketing' made the lesser product more popular.

Cheap and plentiful is the consensus of opinion here. I'm disappointed. I thought this DIY enthusiast might have invented something that was a radical improvement on the old guns.

Oh, and can be neglected. Still works.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2017 at 7:27am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 12:38am

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 10:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 9:47pm:

The compact automatic rifle that Stalin’s engineers unveiled in 1947 didn’t look like much of a gun. The result of a secret design contest, its components were simple, inelegant, workmanlike. Its ammunition lacked the stopping power of other rifle cartridges. Its barrel was too short to achieve the range of standard infantry rifles. When the Pentagon finally got its hands on a few of the weapons in the 1950s, officials scoffed. But from this unheralded beginning, the Soviet Union’s modest little gun—dubbed the Avtomat Kalashnikova-47—would become one of the most recognizable artifacts of the 20th century.

Except production of the AK-47 in the fUSSR ceased in 1959 and it was replaced by the AKM which used a stamped recieved rather than a milled one, Bobby.

I did read the full article but only posted a small part of it.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 11:27am

Cheap, plentiful, robust.

"The AK design is a marvel of simplicity. Think of it as the Glock of assault rifles: It's ugly, not as accurate as most, has a terrible trigger, and is cheap; but it's brilliantly simple, reliable and has a very simple manual of arms.  It was designed to be a weapon of revolution, used by unskilled masses.  It excels in this role.

It's so simple, that it can be fitted and assembled from parts, by kids sitting in alleys in Afghanistan.  This also helps explain why so many have spontaneously disassembled in the field.  The quality of materials and construction can vary dramatically. High-quality builds can put the Eveready Bunny to shame -- they just keep going and going and going.

The AK, as a rule, is a 200-yard rifle, which is 100 yards further than most people can shoot. "

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-the-AK-47

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:57pm

They're fun to shoot too.

IBI

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 3:12pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:57pm:

But when you have assembled this little baby and pull the trigger, you feel the solid recoil to your shoulder, you hear the return spring compressing and expanding, the casing ejects and you know there is another round of happiness in the breech.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

When you have to drop that muthafkker with the first round, accept no substitute: 7.62 SLR.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 4:02pm

As much as I enjoyed firing the L1a1, BigOl64 it was not to me, the epitome of mechanical engineering.   The .303in SMLE Mk.III* was.

Simple, effective and deadly accurate.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:16pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 3:12pm:
Gordon wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 2:57pm:

But when you have assembled this little baby and pull the trigger, you feel the solid recoil to your shoulder, you hear the return spring compressing and expanding, the casing ejects and you know there is another round of happiness in the breech.   Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:19pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 4:02pm:
As much as I enjoyed firing the L1a1, BigOl64 it was not to me, the epitome of mechanical engineering.   The .303in SMLE Mk.III* was.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server1000/817fb/product_images/uploaded_images/1ref...

Simple, effective and deadly accurate.

I've fired a .303 when I was in the school's Army Cadets - and the recoil bruised my shoulder for a month.

Very poor design for those poor buggers who had to carry the absurd weight of these Enfield bad boys across Continental Europe and fire them against their shoulder.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print