Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Replacing the tossed vhs tapes (Read 585 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Replacing the tossed vhs tapes
Sep 20th, 2017 at 2:12pm

I might have posted sometime back about having to ditch a treasured collection of old movies & series when my last vhr broke down.

Well I've started replacing them with DVDs but the big problem is that many of them are not available except in box sets and when you've already got some of the box set, well. And some of them are not available at all.

But I picked up a.couple I've been wanting. Martin Chuzzlewit, a Dickens story peopled by his usual collection of weird & wonderful characters and performed by marvellous actors of the UK screen and stage.
And Love in a Cold Climate, the series based on two of Nancy Mitford's books. It's not the best version, an earlier version was better I think but it's just not available.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Replacing the tossed vhs tapes
Reply #1 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 4:24pm

Ahh yes - the dreaded
VHS's
Much better marketed by the UK, hence why they became the popular choice. But they can't compare to the
Betachords
from Germany that last twice as long, just like their players.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 4:29pm

I recently threw out hundreds of VHS tapes but I still kept a few family made and old Disney ones.  I have an LG dual VHS and DVD combo which I rarely use and is not even hooked up but when a friend asked me to give it to her the other day I said "Noooooooo Sorry!"

I threw out the last VHS player and it was a mistake so when I replaced it, no matter how little it is used, I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 5:05pm

That was the model I had but it had been worked to death over many years . . .so it died.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 5:08pm

I saw one near me in a council cleanup recently and it looked like it was brand new.  I wish now I had picked it up for my friend but, at the time, I didn't know she wanted one.

It's amazing what people dump on the footpath around me.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 5:13pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 20th, 2017 at 4:29pm:
I recently threw out hundreds of VHS tapes but I still kept a few family made and old Disney ones.  I have an LG dual VHS and DVD combo which I rarely use and is not even hooked up but when a friend asked me to give it to her the other day I said "Noooooooo Sorry!"

I threw out the last VHS player and it was a mistake so when I replaced it, no matter how little it is used, I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

One of the TV channels I worked in had a store room full of old format players and tape stock.

I knocked off (nobody cared) a really nice pro quality betamax player and a bunch of tapes. The audio quality alone was freaking amazing.

IBI

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 6:01pm

Transfer tape to dvd.
Or buy dvd versions...  but you will need a multiregion player as some are unavailable here and only overseas.

Some you will never be able to replace.

But for a price some small companies will even transfer film to dvd.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 12:30pm

Oh bugger! I was getting something out of the top of a cupboard  today and what did I find - a working order VCR.
I'd wrapped it up and put it away years ago when I got that VCR/DVD combo model and I completely forgot it.
So I needn't have tossed those irreplaceable tapes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print