Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Why do you oppose SSM? (Read 21712 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Why do you oppose SSM?
Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:06pm

Many people who oppose SSM say that it will devalue traditional marriage.

How?

How does another person's choice to marry his/her partner affect you and your relationship?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Why do you oppose SSM?
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:13pm

I don't - I merely say that the best solution is the middle way - if agreed to by a majority of the voting public in a binding vote - for a 'separate but equal' position for Gay Marriage or whatever it will be called, with it is clearly stated that this is a special issue and that churches have the unmitigated option to accept or reject it according to their conscience.

The gays (etc) have always lead life in a parallel universe - let them continue happily there.

Now - where are all these hard facts on all these gays worldwide committing suicide BECAUSE of 'marriage inequality'?  It seems to me that if they are that unstable, especially any here in Australia (the only country we have any control over, BTW)  before the vote is even counted, they were going to commit suicide anyway.

To respond, for the umpteenth tedious time, to your question - because marriage is defined as between a man and a woman - what the SSM YES lobby are seeking is inclusion, not equality, since they have equality already as regards marriage - any man may marry any woman and vice versa, and gays/lesbians etc have been doing so for centuries.  The ONLY Right associated with the decision to Marry is to not be compelled to marry.the 'right to marry the person of your choice' is not open-ended, since it is bound by the definition above.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't directly affect anyone else - obviously it does in many cases, but let's leave that for now - the fact is that ssm does not fit the millennia old definition of marriage.

Now how many times am I going to have to explain that?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:14pm

I think anyone saying NO has already said why..

why not ask the YES people the same thing..

whats in it for them...maybe they have a close one who is gay..

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:16pm

cods wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:14pm:
I think anyone saying NO has already said why..

why not ask the YES people the same thing..

whats in it for them...maybe they have a close one who is gay..

If you're asking my view, I think that marriage equality is about the principal of 'equality under law'. Marriage is certainly a legal institution, and by denying homosexual couples the choice to marry, this is denying them equal protection under the law.

Maybe people have expressed their views, but I want to know how it affects you as an individual? Will you wake up every morning questioning your own marriage?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:17pm

Auggie wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:06pm:

How?

How does another person's choice to marry his/her partner affect you and your relationship?

I couldn't give a fig about the sanctity of marriage and in principle I'm OK with SSM, but I'm concerned with the way the yes campaign is being conducted and branding/labeling anyone with a different view.

It's cultural Marxism and the gays are the meat in the sandwich.

IBI

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:18pm

How?

Marriage is the recognition of a special bond between man and woman! Using that word to describe anything else devalues it, the church and so Western Civilisation!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:13pm:
I don't - I merely say that the best solution is the middle way - if agreed to by a majority of the voting public in a binding vote - for a 'separate but equal' position for Gay Marriage or whatever it will be called, with it is clearly stated that this is a special issue and that churches have the unmitigated option to accept or reject it according to their conscience.

The gays (etc) have always lead life in a parallel universe - let them continue happily there.

Now - where are all these hard facts on all these gays worldwide committing suicide BECAUSE of 'marriage inequality'?  It seems to me that if they are that unstable, especially any here in Australia (the only country we have any control over, BTW)  before the vote is even counted, they were going to commit suicide anyway.

I honestly believe that the best way - the middle of the road is the have the state abolish legal marriage entirely, and instead establish civil unions. Leave marriage to religious institutions.

That way, eveyone is equal under the law, and the churches can define marriage as they wish.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:20pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:18pm:

How?

Marriage is the recognition of a special bond between man and woman! Using that word to describe anything else devalues it, the church and so Western Civilisation!

Marriage is a contract between two consenting adults who have legal recognition under the law.

I'll meet you halfway here: you support the abolition of legal marriage in favour of civil unions and I'll agree to let churches define marriage how they want. Deal?

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:25pm

Auggie wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:20pm:

How?

Marriage is a contract between two consenting adults who have legal recognition under the law.

I'll meet you halfway here: you support the abolition of legal marriage in favour of civil unions and I'll agree to let churches define marriage how they want. Deal?

No deal: you just want to devalue the word 'marriage'.....

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:26pm

To respond, for the umpteenth tedious time, to your question - because marriage is defined as between a man and a woman - what the SSM YES lobby are seeking is inclusion, not equality, since they have equality already as regards marriage - any man may marry any woman and vice versa, and gays/lesbians etc have been doing so for centuries.  The ONLY Right associated with the decision to Marry is to not be compelled to marry.the 'right to marry the person of your choice' is not open-ended, since it is bound by the definition above.

It doesn't matter that it doesn't directly affect anyone else - obviously it does in many cases, but let's leave that for now - the fact is that ssm does not fit the millennia old definition of marriage.

The emancipation of women does not fit the millennia old expectation of women in society. Does this mean that women shouldnt work?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:29pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:25pm:
Auggie wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:20pm:

How?

No deal: you just want to devalue the word 'marriage'.....

By allowing churches define what marriage is? Marriage is traditionally defined as a once-in-a-lifetime commitment (unless one or the other dies), does that mean that any person who remarries has an invalid marriage? What about a person who commits adultery and then remarries his/her adulterer? Should that be considered marriage?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:29pm

the reality is  marriage is the reason for creating  children...

how will they explain   man with man women with women ..  how can you use the other sex to fulfil a gratification.....they shun them yet they use them..

isnt there a conflict there somehow.... Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #12 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:32pm

Second to that, traditionally, marriage was defined as an eternal union between a man and woman. Does that mean that if a man or woman remarries (unless his/her husband/wife has died), does that still comply with the millennia old definition of marriage? What is a person commits adultery, and then marries her/her adulterer? Is that still defined as marriage? What if a couple get married but don't have children (not because they can't but because they don't want to), should it still be considered 'marriage'?

Marriage has also traditionally been a religious institution. Does that mean that if a Christian and Muslim marry each other (without one converting to other) that they're technically not married?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #13 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:33pm

cods wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:29pm:

how will they explain   man with man women with women ..  how can you use the other sex to fulfil a gratification.....they shun them yet they use them..

So, if a heterosexual couple get married and don't have children by choice, is that marriage still valid? What if a man divorces his wife with whom he has had 3 kids to marry a younger woman for the sake of pleasure? Is that still marriage?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:36pm

Auggie wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:33pm:
cods wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 4:29pm:

So, if a heterosexual couple get married and don't have children by choice, is that marriage still valid? What if a man divorces his wife with whom he has had 3 kids to marry a younger woman for the sake of pleasure? Is that still marriage?

duh?..     it doesnt matter a man and a women will still procreate which is the main intention....

it you put all the gays on a special island   no IVF what would they all do to become parents... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

do you think anyone would swap partners....?  or would they all stick to their  truth of being gay and lyal..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print