Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Past - time & place?? (Read 2088 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

The Past - time & place??
Sep 18th, 2017 at 9:27pm

If you could live the remainder of your life in a time and place of our global past ...where and when would you live it and most importantly - WHY?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: The Past - time & place??
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:18pm

Israel 🇮🇱 during the time of Christ.

Why?

So I could meet Jesus Christ and listen 👂 to His wise words.

And to gaze on the face of His pure and holy majesty 😇

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:21pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 10:18pm:
Israel 🇮🇱 during the time of Christ.

Why?

So I could meet Jesus Christ and listen 👂 to His wise words.

And to gaze on the face of His pure and holy majesty 😇

dear Lisa,
they were barbaric times:

women stoned to death for adultery,
people crucified for stealing a loaf of bread.

It must have been awful.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 11:24pm

Lisa has a worthy time period Bobby.

All periods had their amazing and horrid aspects.
Golden Temples built by the suffering of slaves, etc.
What is your Time & Place Bobby?
And why?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:15am

My fascination with history started very early in life, and it was focused on the 19th Century from my perspective in the 20th. As I became more familiar with the past, I was understanding the present. And from there, my interest has worked backwards into Antiquity. That is the way I believe History should be taught. Starting from ancient times is disjointed and not easily related to the present.
Every era has had its special moments, but I would not want to live in any of them unless I could do so on my terms, and that would require a particularly considerate form of providence. 

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:00am

issuevoter wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 8:15am:
My fascination with history started very early in life, and it was focused on the 19th Century from my perspective in the 20th. As I became more familiar with the past, I was understanding the present. And from there, my interest has worked backwards into Antiquity. That is the way I believe History should be taught. Starting from ancient times is disjointed and not easily related to the present.
Every era has had its special moments, but I would not want to live in any of them unless I could do so on my terms, and that would require a particularly considerate form of providence. 

Well said. I agree, going back in a disjointed fashion doesn't really do history justice and understanding history does bring a sense of understanding the present and, as I've found - understanding the future too.

So do you have a 50-100 year time period and place that you favour over others? One where you think you could fit in and enjoy for the remainder of your life?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:49pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:00am:

Well said. I agree, going back in a disjointed fashion doesn't really do history justice and understanding history does bring a sense of understanding the present and, as I've found - understanding the future too.

So do you have a 50-100 year time period and place that you favour over others? One where you think you could fit in and enjoy for the remainder of your life?

The problem is that I see the past from the years I have lived through. I suppose the great age of exploration will always be a favourite subject, but if I could travel in time, I would probably find my take was wrong. That being said, I am one of those annoying people who cannot sit through a period movie without picking it to pieces. I especially dislike movie horses which are all expensive-looking and well-bred.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 6:55pm

issuevoter wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 2:49pm:
Jasin wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 10:00am:

The problem is that I see the past from the years I have lived through. I suppose the great age of exploration will always be a favourite subject, but if I could travel in time, I would probably find my take was wrong. That being said, I am one of those annoying people who cannot sit through a period movie without picking it to pieces. I especially dislike movie horses which are all expensive-looking and well-bred.

Grin

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 7:13pm

If I had a time and place.
I would like to live around the era of when Sapiens were first moving into the nicely forested Middle-East that was inhabited by Neanderthals.
Not only would the environment and wildlife be pretty fantastic. Life would be essentially 'pure'.
I would find it fascinating to experience the coming of two peoples. One that is newly emerging. The other, older and soon to slowly fade away. Even then, there would be other Homonid species still existing, from times before the Neanderthal.
Time itself, would be almost still with hardly anything but the seasons of change.
Lions, Elephants, etc - still in Europe.
I would be at an advantage to stay alive with added technological advancements in my pocket - like making better tools, weapons, shelter, etc.
A relaxing 'simple' lifestyle.

But if I was to aim for something more challenging.
Then I would wish to suddenly appear on a Greek Trireme during the Battle of Salamis and partake of history being made.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #9 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:45pm

I have passed by Salamis, and of course I saw it all in my mind's eye. And as you say much of the Middle East was forested. One day, Indonesia will look like the Greek Islands, once the topsoil has all washed away.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:11pm

I have always had a fascination with the 19th century, particularly the later half. Of course, if one were to go back, it just would not do to be a factory hand or estate serf. That being said, being alive at that time would have been almost unlimited in opportunity.

To be twenty, say, in 1860. You could travel a world whose boundaries were only defined by the depths of your pocket, Darwin had just published his theory on evolution, to travel from London to Rome in 1843 took 21 weary days - in 1860 it took 2.5 days, 68 million tons of coal was raised in Britain in 1859, the American Civil war broke out in 1861 - the same year Custer fought at Bull Run, the Australian gold rush began in 1851 when we had a population of 649,000 - in 1861 we had 1.16m, the Overland Telegraph was completed in 1872, the first oil well was drilled in 1859. The Eureka Stockade incident took place in 1854, when Ned Kelly was born, slaves were still being sold in America in 1858, medicine was advancing in leaps and bounds, 'science' was a term not yet coined.

A time of tremendous changes, with little in the way of personal restrictions and tremendous opportunities for the taking.

Interesting times.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:04pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 1:11pm:
I have always had a fascination with the 19th century, particularly the later half. Of course, if one were to go back, it just would not do to be a factory hand or estate serf. That being said, being alive at that time would have been almost unlimited in opportunity.

To be twenty, say, in 1860. You could travel a world whose boundaries were only defined by the depths of your pocket, Darwin had just published his theory on evolution, to travel from London to Rome in 1843 took 21 weary days - in 1860 it took 2.5 days, 68 million tons of coal was raised in Britain in 1859, the American Civil war broke out in 1861 - the same year Custer fought at Bull Run, the Australian gold rush began in 1851 when we had a population of 649,000 - in 1861 we had 1.16m, the Overland Telegraph was completed in 1872, the first oil well was drilled in 1859. The Eureka Stockade incident took place in 1854, when Ned Kelly was born, slaves were still being sold in America in 1858, medicine was advancing in leaps and bounds, 'science' was a term not yet coined.

A time of tremendous changes, with little in the way of personal restrictions and tremendous opportunities for the taking.

Interesting times.

Yes Lionel Edriess. The 18th Century was an amazing time of incredible accelerated 'change'. We have had many changes in the 19th Century - but I don't think they were as dramatic and most were somewhat due to duress, rather than something enlightening.
But I agree - it would be a terrible time if you were poor.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 6:07pm

issuevoter wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 9:45pm:
I have passed by Salamis, and of course I saw it all in my mind's eye. And as you say much of the Middle East was forested. One day, Indonesia will look like the Greek Islands, once the topsoil has all washed away.

I agree Issuevoter. The Greece of today looks like a deforested and devoured landscape stripped clean of plant and soil. Even the waters look nice and blue clean ...but devoid of life. Over-fished and sterile.

Shame humanity doesn't know how to 'stop' - let alone say "no".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print