Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
20% Spike ~ Children Seeking Support (Read 1034 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
20% Spike ~ Children Seeking Support
Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:37pm

Mental health groups sound alarm over dramatic same-sex marriage survey spike

Mental health groups are in urgent talks about how to deal with a dramatic spike in demand they are attributing to the same-sex marriage postal survey, with fears the situation will worsen further as the campaign goes on.

Digital youth service ReachOut said it has seen a 20 per cent surge in people accessing its online advice relating to LGBTIQ issues since August, when the postal survey became Turnbull government policy.

ReachOut – a frontline group that has about 1.5 million unique visitors to its website every year – said its online forums have also recorded a sharp increase in activity, with young gay people reporting feeling scared and tired of personal attacks.

One of the country's top mental health experts – former Australian of the Year, Professor Patrick McGorry – is in no doubt the spike is linked to the divisive debate unleashed by the postal survey campaign.

"We are hearing a lot from LGBTIQ people that this is reviving traumatic experiences, particularly from their school years," said Professor McGorry, now the executive director of Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health.

more

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/mental-health-groups-sound...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: 20% Spike ~ Children Seeking Support
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:40pm

Yeah I'm calling BS on that.

IBI

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:45pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:37pm:

Mental health groups are in urgent talks about how to deal with a dramatic spike in demand they are attributing to the same-sex marriage postal survey, with fears the situation will worsen further as the campaign goes on.

Digital youth service ReachOut said it has seen a 20 per cent surge in people accessing its online advice relating to LGBTIQ issues since August, when the postal survey became Turnbull government policy.

ReachOut – a frontline group that has about 1.5 million unique visitors to its website every year – said its online forums have also recorded a sharp increase in activity, with young gay people reporting feeling scared and tired of personal attacks.

One of the country's top mental health experts – former Australian of the Year, Professor Patrick McGorry – is in no doubt the spike is linked to the divisive debate unleashed by the postal survey campaign.

"We are hearing a lot from LGBTIQ people that this is reviving traumatic experiences, particularly from their school years," said Professor McGorry, now the executive director of Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health.

more

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/mental-health-groups-sound...

Pity you didn't post the entire article hey....esp the last few paragraphs.

Were they a tad inconvenient ???

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:46pm

Day in, day out, abuse thrown at gay people, effects children.

Let's hope these religious realise that keeping their arguments factual, may save some of these children from suiciding.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:48pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:45pm:
____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:37pm:

more

Pity you didn't post the entire article hey....esp the last few paragraphs.

Were they a tad inconvenient ???

It's not that difficult to click a link.

And interesting you target me ... rather than the issue. Keeping children from harm.

Do you see children suiciding as collateral damage?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:49pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:46pm:

Let's hope these religious realise that keeping their arguments factual, may save some of these children from suiciding.

Day in, day out, abuse thrown at anyone which holds a different opinions is called a phobe, a bigoted or a nazi.

IBI

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:51pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:49pm:

Day in, day out, abuse thrown at anyone which holds a different opinions is called a phobe, a bigoted or a nazi.

playing the victim aye.
You are suppose to be more worldly the the children.

And don't forget, some of these children at risk are from religious families.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:40pm:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:55pm

Give me some clear examples of this 'day in, day out abuse thrown at gay people'.....

How many of these 'gay kids' have committed suicide so far?

Give me some facts and figures .....

Oh - sorry - we apply the standard that they 'feel' they might be attacked so they are nervous - so that justifies some kind of NEW Big Brother intervention against anyone who may possibly attack them. (Anyone else see the game plan here?  Clue - GOVERNMENT CONTROL).

Told you all twenty farken five years ago (in my submission to the Law Reform Society during their 'consideration' of 'domestic violence' in REMOTE ABORIGINAL COMMUNITIES AS THE NORM FOR SOCIETY) that accepting the 'feminist' standard for 'domestic violence' would lead to a savage diminution of legal rights -I missed the point that such a legalised crime would lead to endless groups demanding the same 'right' to assault another using the apparatus of the State.

Jesus God - even I failed in my duty to the Australian people there.... I apologise.

Too late for the Shorten kind of propaganda that people might suicide if they are not handed 'marriage rights'.... I already voted NO.  I can't prevent some fool from suiciding over nothing - of they chose that path obviously their issues are beyond redemption.
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:11pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:01pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:55pm:

Give me some clear examples of this 'day in, day out abuse thrown at gay people'.....

Physical violence is a common occurrence as it was. .
Verbal violence.

Yet it has exploded of late.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:04pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:54pm:

Mental health groups verses posters with vested interests ... gee, who to take seriously.

All you guys are risking are the lives of children.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:12pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:01pm:

Verbal violence.

Facts and figures, please... not rhetoric....

Physical violence against gays has always been a minor issue compared to violence against heterosexual males in the community...... unless it is from their intimate partner..... which in the context of this discussion really doesn't count.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:12pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:04pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 8:54pm:

Mental health groups verses posters with vested interests ... gee, who to take seriously.

All you guys are risking are the lives of children.

Long stretch - stop running from facts and figures......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:23pm

Why - because what many people predicted would happen has happened ????

This has been reported by several different support organisations, we have seen the stuff posted on this site and what is said in the community. There is no surprise in this it is what many expected.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:24pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:12pm:

Verbal violence.

oi dickhead. I have been physically and verbally attacked multiple times because of my sexuality.
It's not rhetoric.

One of those times was by a group of guys and a brick, out to brand a poofter. Missed my eye by cms.

Don't you dare belittle the threat of violence.

Children are picking the nasty rhetoric and this is why I was opposed to this postal survey from the start.
It's not hard for both camps to pull in the nasty and think of the children.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #15 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:27pm

Verbal violence.

20% increase in support requests from the gay youth coinciding with the postal vote on same sex marriage. Fairly obvious action and reaction mechanism.

Remember the reason that Labor pulled out from supporting a referendum ??? It was because they were advised that this would be the likely result.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: 20% Spike in BS
Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:28pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:24pm:

Verbal violence.

oi dickhead. I have been physically and verbally attacked multiple times because of my sexuality.
It's not rhetoric.

One of those times was by a group of guys and a brick, out to brand a poofter. Missed my eye by cms.

Children are picking the nasty rhetoric and this is why I was opposed to this postal survey from the start.

Maybe they just wanted to punch you out bcoz you're a bit of a dickhead   Grin

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:45pm

Verbal violence.

It's not rhetoric.

Ah, yes - rather than offer substantive figures and facts - you start off with a personal attack on the asker, and then quote unsubstantiated reports of attacks on you.  I'm a man of 68 - do you have any idea how many fights I've been in in life, even though from my late twenties I vowed that I would fight no more forever - I've seen and experienced enough?  Forlorn hope in this country..... where every second rate twerp with an 'issue' feels entitled to attack me and compel me to defend myself.

'belittle the threat of violence' - do you have any idea what it is to be a man in modern Australian society, and subject to attack from the State on any flimsy excuse?  We've lived under a reign of terror for nearly two hundred years here, and you complain and want special treatment because you are one of the countless millions of  real victims?

Your personal life has nothing to do with the issue, and unless there is some clear proof that 'children of gay persuasion are committing suicide and are being attacked' there is no basis for your position in any way.

No wonder moderate people like me voted NO.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:46pm

Dnarever wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:23pm:

This has been reported by several different support organisations, we have seen the stuff posted on this site and what is said in the community. There is no surprise in this it is what many expected.

You mean the YES side being rude, violent etc? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:50pm

Grendel wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:46pm:

Yeah - they're organising petitions to drive gays out of professions, mounting massive attacks on gays and lesbians, demanding the removal of rights for gays, and staging massive street deomonstrations and such every day..

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: 20% Spike in sextoy imports
Reply #20 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:52pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:45pm:

Verbal violence.

It's not rhetoric.

Ah, yes - rather than offer substantive figures and facts - you start off with a personal attack on the asker, and then quote unsubstantiated reports of attacks on you.  I'm a man of 68 - do you have any idea how many fights I've been in in life, even though from my late twenties I vowed that I would fight no more forever - I've seen and experienced enough?  Forlorn hope in this country..... where every second rate twerp with an 'issue' feels entitled to attack me and compel me to defend myself.

'belittle the threat of violence' - do you have any idea what it is to be a man in modern Australian society, and subject to attack from the State on any flimsy excuse?  We've lived under a reign of terror for nearly two hundred years here, and you complain and want special treatment because you are one of the countless millions of  real victims?

Your personal life has nothing to do with the issue, and unless there is some clear proof that 'children of gay persuasion are committing suicide and are being attacked' there is no basis for your position in any way.

I've had guys in a pub try to pick fights with me because they don't like the way I look, don't like my shoes,  jealous of having a hot GF... sorry what happened to the OP?

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #21 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:56pm

Grendel wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 9:46pm:

No that is also unnecessary and a result of a process which should have never happened.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #22 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:00pm

Verbal violence.

It's not rhetoric.

Yet we are not talking about men ... we are talking about children.
Children who are seeing the worst side of the adults around them.

And you continually telling everyone you are voting no. Are you really that insecure. Rhetorical.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:07pm

More like a 20% spike in children seeking information and advice - rather than support.

Words have power, you know - as the feminists taught us - and the MISuse of words has power out of all proportion to the value of the words used.  It's called propaganda and I reject it and its bed sister 'spin' out of hand.

BTW - the majority of violence against the Alphabet community is from the Alphabet community in many ways.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:09pm

____ wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:00pm:

Verbal violence.

It's not rhetoric.

Yet we are not talking about men ... we are talking about children.
Children who are seeing the worst side of the adults around them.

And you continually telling everyone you are voting no. Are you really that insecure. Rhetorical.

Not worth responding to - where are your facts and figures, and your continued personal attacks clearly show your inadequacy to ever have a marriage......
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:15pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:18pm

Now- I've been running back and forth between this nonsensical argument and tending to the disabled person I am carer for.... unless you can  come up with a lot more than personal attacks on me, and also offer some substantial figures for your statements - I will accept your white flag of surrender.

What I will not do is argue with a petulant school child all night, when it is obvious that you have nothing of substance to offer.

No facts and figures - no more discussion - other than to ensure that you do not get in the last word, which unfortunately for sites such as this, tends to hold more sway than any amount of reasoned discussion held before - since far too many only read the last post....

Stop wasting my time and yours on this kind of nonsense...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #26 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:37pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:07pm:
More like a 20% spike in children seeking information and advice - rather than support.

Words have power, you know - as the feminists taught us - and the MISuse of words has power out of all proportion to the value of the words used.  It's called propaganda and I reject it and its bed sister 'spin' out of hand.

BTW - the majority of violence against the Alphabet community is from the Alphabet community in many ways.

Yet the article makes statements like this:

"we do have to manage the risk to vulnerable people over the course of the debate"

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:06am

Dnarever wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 17th, 2017 at 10:07pm:

Yet the article makes statements like this:

"we do have to manage the risk to vulnerable people over the course of the debate"

You DO understand politician-speak, public servant-speak and social science-speak, do you not?

WHERE in that does it even suggest that there actually ARE 'vulnerable' people?

Of course - we all have to 'manage the risk' of 'vulnerable' (and other) people when we drive on the roads.... otherwise they'd be skittled in great numbers...

What part of a broad statement of intent or of 'mission statement' can you possibly translate into some form of victimhood?

HELLO!!

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:07am

Same sex marriage debate leads to psychological distress

Over the past week, children with transgender, gay and lesbian orientation from Lilly to older teens, as well as adults, have been attending doctors and psychologists in distress. I've been working as a psychologist with LGBTQI children and adults for over 30 years. The levels of distress engendered by this survey are the worst I have seen since the advent of AIDS in 1983/4.The children and teens are unable to comprehend why people should want to deprive them of a normal life and I am at a loss to explain. These children, after the initial confrontation to their families and friends of their identifying as LGBT, have usually been easily accepted in their communities. Lilly attends a church school.

A gay 16-year-old made his first suicide attempt last Wednesday. On admission he advised the psychiatric registrar that he didn't want to live without his boyfriend, another 16-year-old. They have been accepted by both their families as likely being gay since innocently sleeping in the same bed at a school camp when 10 years old and since being inseparable. He remains in hospital as medication attempts to relieve his acute distress. While occasionally bullied at school, he is able to say of his peers, "They're just kids so they don't get it." He expresses incomprehension as to why purportedly intelligent adult political leaders "don't get it".

A 40-year-old lesbian police officer, who has been shot at in the line of duty in her 22 years of service, asks why the community don't support and respect her in the way she does them. She and her partner, another police officer, have been together for 12 years and have a son. She asks why anyone would think that she is a poor role model or would think her a bad parent. She too has begun taking anti-depressant medication.

In this judgment of the worth of our family, friends and neighbours imposed on them – and us – by people who seem unable to empathise with their wishes and emotional needs, it seems worth remembering that it may be any of our sons or daughters, sisters or brothers, who want to marry the love of their lives, enjoying the same rights as us.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/psychological-distress-20170912-gyfjif.html

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:58am

mothra wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:07am:

Over the past week, children with transgender, gay and lesbian orientation from Lilly to older teens, as well as adults, have been attending doctors and psychologists in distress. I've been working as a psychologist with LGBTQI children and adults for over 30 years. The levels of distress engendered by this survey are the worst I have seen since the advent of AIDS in 1983/4.The children and teens are unable to comprehend why people should want to deprive them of a normal life and I am at a loss to explain. These children, after the initial confrontation to their families and friends of their identifying as LGBT, have usually been easily accepted in their communities. Lilly attends a church school.

A gay 16-year-old made his first suicide attempt last Wednesday. On admission he advised the psychiatric registrar that he didn't want to live without his boyfriend, another 16-year-old. They have been accepted by both their families as likely being gay since innocently sleeping in the same bed at a school camp when 10 years old and since being inseparable. He remains in hospital as medication attempts to relieve his acute distress. While occasionally bullied at school, he is able to say of his peers, "They're just kids so they don't get it." He expresses incomprehension as to why purportedly intelligent adult political leaders "don't get it".

A 40-year-old lesbian police officer, who has been shot at in the line of duty in her 22 years of service, asks why the community don't support and respect her in the way she does them. She and her partner, another police officer, have been together for 12 years and have a son. She asks why anyone would think that she is a poor role model or would think her a bad parent. She too has begun taking anti-depressant medication.

In this judgment of the worth of our family, friends and neighbours imposed on them – and us – by people who seem unable to empathise with their wishes and emotional needs, it seems worth remembering that it may be any of our sons or daughters, sisters or brothers, who want to marry the love of their lives, enjoying the same rights as us.

Lesbians don't have children with each other - misrepresentation.... they do NOT 'have a son' - their son is the result of the union of a male sperm and a female ovum - one way or another.

How is it that this 'issue' of 'gay marriage' suddenly affects a 16 year old to the point of attempting suicide?  Nobody is stopping 'him' from living with his partner - nobody is seeking a ban on gay unions.... what the hell is 'his' problem' other than drama queening?

Anyone who hasn't been bullied at school hasn't lived - and I note the comment falls short of saying 'bullied at school for being gay'... perhaps he should have gone to my high school at age almost 11 as I did...... then he'd know what he was talking about....

Some of you here and elsewhere need to begin to understand the difference between valid reporting and propaganda.

When I did Journalism 101, it was made clear from the outset that all articles and photos attached were organised to put a specified view forward......... somehow the professors etc failed to see  that they were blatantly saying that journalism was, as Gore Vidal said of the mainstream media, all propaganda.......

Read Between the Lines and Look Carefully At The ACTUAL Words Used....

Learn this, Grasshoppers....

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:00am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:58am:
mothra wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:07am:

Lesbians don't have children with each other - misrepresentation.... they do NOT 'have a son' - their son is the result of the union of a male sperm and a female ovum - one way or another.

How is it that this 'issue' of 'gay marriage' suddenly affects a 16 year old to the point of attempting suicide?  Nobody is stopping 'him' from living with his partner - nobody is seeking a ban on gay unions.... what the hell is 'his' problem' other than drama queening?

Anyone who hasn't been bullied at school hasn't lived - and I note the comment falls short of saying 'bullied at school for being gay'... perhaps he should have gone to my high school at age almost 11 as I did...... then he'd know what he was talking about....

Some of you here and elsewhere need to begin to understand the difference between valid reporting and propaganda.

When I did Journalism 101, it was made clear from the outset that all articles and photos attached were organised to put a specified view forward......... somehow the professors etc failed to see  that they were blatantly saying that journalism was, as Gore Vidal said of the mainstream media, all propaganda.......

Read Between the Lines and Look Carefully At The ACTUAL Words Used....

Learn this, Grasshoppers....

Nope. Gays and lesbians have children together all the time. Simply because you don't value it does not negate this simple fact.

As for the rest of your gibberish, i didn't even bother to read it.

You refuse to accept facts. You always do. Just like Longy.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:31am

mothra wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:00am:
Nope. Gays and lesbians have children together all the time. Simply because you don't value it does not negate this simple fact.

As for the rest of your gibberish, i didn't even bother to read it.

You refuse to accept facts. You always do. Just like Longy.

No - they do not.  They have artificially created children with another, or they inherit children from the marriages/relationships they've abandoned, leaving the former husband or wife or whatever you wish to call it out of the picture and with no rights whatsoever.

Gays and lesbians do NOT 'have' children together, unless you distort reality.

I don't utter gibberish - I refute everything you say and you hate it, but your education would proceed much faster if you bothered to read what I say.  It's not my fault that you cannot follow Engish or that you are incapable of following a discussion outside of your own prescribed parameters but must insist that your way is the only way.

You will never advance with that kind of attitude.....

Footnote:-  How that's how it's done - you cut out all the stuff that came before and only quote what the current point is... that makes it a lot easier for everyone to read and follow - many do not bother when the quote on quote gets too long...

Your education is proceeding, Grasshopper....

Learn this.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:32am

Artificially created children ...  Grin

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:37am

mothra wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:32am:

What do YOU call IVF?  Is this not an artificial - meaning devised and engineered by human hand - way of producing children, as opposed to the natural way?

Where you bin, Laden?

Bonus Question:-  Do you just rubbish every point raised as a matter of principle and without any solid refutation or counter-argument, or do you just like to play the troll?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:38am

mothra wrote on Sep 18th, 2017 at 1:32am:

Your response without any response  Grin  Grin

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print